DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ophir Beach Video for Critique

MikeeS

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This is a video I did on the Oregon coast using a Mavic 3. This was my first attempt to record the surf while flying my drone over it. At times the drone was at least 50 meters from the shore.

I'm on my way to the Isle of Lewis in Scotland in September and hope to create more surf and beach videos.

Ophir Beach_4K_Music.mp4

As a video it lost my interest. It was just surf and no story. I'm used to watching videos that tell a story or at least are informative about something. Adding narrative can help to get the story across.

There are some really great shots. The pucker factor went way up while watching a few of the low-and-descending shots. You definitely captured the mood of the place. I do a lot of wade fishing for redfish in water like that and I could almost smell the salty air. And on that subject, I hope you weren't picking up too much saltwater mist from the breaking waves.

For the overall video, you might shorten it substantially and show just one version of any particular view. The biggest distraction was the too-rapid and abrupt yawing. You might consider setting the gimbal control values to much lower speeds for the Cine mode.

As a video it lost my interest. It was just surf and no story. I'm used to watching videos that tell a story or at least are informative about something. Adding narrative can help to get the story across.
I agree with MSCoast. The surf scenes were beautifully depicted and well exposed, but repetative with no story line. Usually, I like to start with a wide intro shot, then some medium range shots and then a final close up.Show the overall environment from a high and wide view. You could have easily added a (2nd) surf sound track.I would try not to repeat scenes and go for a shorter film. As they say, "less is more."

Dale
Miami

This is a video I did on the Oregon coast using a Mavic 3. This was my first attempt to record the surf while flying my drone over it. At times the drone was at least 50 meters from the shore.

I'm on my way to the Isle of Lewis in Scotland in September and hope to create more surf and beach videos.

Ophir Beach_4K_Music.mp4
The end of clip illustrated following wave to shore was good. Following other waves inward would be an improvement, but the background music needed fewer decibels. Davinci Resolve videos express audio levels that are useful. I had to reduce volume by about 80% using earphones. Audios do a lot to enhance the videos and coordinating sounds with video takes practice to learn that skill.

The end of clip illustrated following wave to shore was good. Following other waves inward would be an improvement, but the background music needed fewer decibels. Davinci Resolve videos express audio levels that are useful. I had to reduce volume by about 80% using earphones. Audios do a lot to enhance the videos and coordinating sounds with video takes practice to learn that skill.
Same:

Let's face it , there are only so many ways you can show waves and only about four views. (North, South, east, and and west. Why did you not thing to shoot STRAIGHT DOWN? The other clips were repetitive.

Same:

Let's face it , there are only so many ways you can show waves and only about four views. (North, South, east, and and west. Why did you not thing to shoot STRAIGHT DOWN? The other clips were repetitive.
Note this was my first experience shooting waves. I live in Arizona. I tried shooting close to shore and as I got braver I took the drone out farther. Found it difficult to judge how high over the water I was when I got far from shore and didn't trust the controller's height values being over water. This was the only spot I found that didn't have a lot of people or restrictions on wildlife near the sea stacks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000