DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions sought: Firehouse Technology strobes

Halcyon

Reactions
I recently purchased the "Dual" Strobe Lighting Kit (3 Dual lights- White/Red Green) Light Package from Firehouse Technology. While I'm very impressed with the intensity of the lights and their minimal size and weight, I'm not so impressed with the enclosure, if you can call it that. It appears to be some sort of heat shrink tubing holding the battery and circuit board together. It's pretty flimsy and looks unprofessional.

FHT.jpg

I'm thinking of removing the shrink tubing and potting it in something like Sikaflex or epoxy putty. Of course I would leave the led lenses, switch, and USB connector exposed. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this, or is their a better option to protect the components?

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
I know what you mean about the look of the product. It’s very simple. However, I believe it’s a very functional compromise which includes considerations of cost, weight and performance. The performance of my firehouse strobes has been outstanding over last two years and there are various types of attachments you can buy or make if you want to spruce up look. By all means experiment. They work for me as is but I would be interested to see whatever alternative you might come up with. These strobes can be essential in many situations and beautiful in the right sky to boot.

I recently purchased the "Dual" Strobe Lighting Kit (3 Dual lights- White/Red Green) Light Package from Firehouse Technology. While I'm very impressed with the intensity of the lights and their minimal size and weight, I'm not so impressed with the enclosure, if you can call it that. It appears to be some sort of heat shrink tubing holding the battery and circuit board together. It's pretty flimsy and looks unprofessional.

View attachment 104194

I'm thinking of removing the shrink tubing and potting it in something like Sikaflex or epoxy putty. Of course I would leave the led lenses, switch, and USB connector exposed. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this, or is their a better option to protect the components?
I just received my exact same one yesterday and have yet to use it in flight, but I was thinking the same thing about the looks of it. Seems as if the appearance was an after thought, or not even thought of at all for that matter. I get that to keep costs down that this a good route to go but on the other hand you would think that some thought would've gone into the looks. I guess it really doesn't matter though because once you're airborne and a little distance away you won't even notice it. Curious to see what you come up with though.

Just weighed mine, and I get 26 grams for all four including mounts. No, that's not a typo - 26g the lot.

So if you put all four on one leg the drone wouldn't notice. The only problem you might have is on the Mavic Mini and only because it's just 1 gram under the 250g magic number, and anything added to the drone will put it over into registering the drone. It's not going to affect performance on the Mini either.

Reactions: raymairjr and 1bad
Just weighed mine, and I get 26 grams for all four including mounts. No, that's not a typo - 26g the lot.

So if you put all four on one leg the drone wouldn't notice. The only problem you might have is on the Mavic Mini and only because it's just 1 gram under the 250g magic number, and anything added to the drone will put it over into registering the drone. It's not going to affect performance on the Mini either.
Thanks for that, going to order a set now for some night flying!!

Reactions: raymairjr

The strobes that I linked to weigh 4 grams each.

Re " The only problem you might have is on the Mavic Mini and only because it's just 1 gram under the 250g magic number " ......Sorry but I think a Mavic Mini will almost certainly feel the weight of strobes. The landing extensions I have were, I think, advertised with a weight under 20g and they triggered payload mode when the battery got down to around 30%. I do not have scales so can't check them but even with the holes I subsequently drilled in them I get payload mode in the upper 20%s

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an issue with the Arc-II's except the switch is a bit difficult to operate. I do have a couple of the Arc-XL's but they are double the size. I generally use those on my fixed wing stuff. I also have a different manufactured set of strobes that work pretty good during the daylight if your close enough. They are diffused so you can see the color better in daylight but don't work as well at distance compared to the FH Arc-II's and especially the XL's.

Anybody running these on a Mavic Air 1, just asking if the weight had any effect on performance or balancing of the drone?
Thanks for that, going to order a set now for some night flying!!
Never had one on a Air 1, but they are extremely lightweight and I would imagine the weight would have a very minimal effect on it. If any.

I agree that they are very basic, but we have used them for years and they work great. Especially for the price.

Re " The only problem you might have is on the Mavic Mini and only because it's just 1 gram under the 250g magic number " ......Sorry but I think a Mavic Mini will almost certainly feel the weight of strobes. The landing extensions I have were, I think, advertised with a weight under 20g and they triggered payload mode when the battery got down to around 30%. I do not have scales so can't check them but even with the holes I subsequently drilled in them I get payload mode in the upper 20%s

Thanks. I based my comment on video's on youtube where they show the mini lifting stuff so I assumed something in the order of 26g would be OK. I stand corrected :)

Thinking on it I will try and do a flight with and without the extensions just to see what difference they make to the motor speeds, I actually bought two sets of these extension and the 2nd set is as supplied i.e. 'full weight' so we might get a 3 way comparison.

What you propose is a good idea but let me tell you my personal experience with firehouse strobes..

A year and a half ago my Mavic self landed at night with two firehouse strobes in stock form.
For 30 days my Mavic was missing..
I had written it off and began to sell off remote and batteries when I got a call from a man I had met the day after I lost Mavic..
He informed me he had found my mavic on his roof!!!!
For 30 days and nights my Mavic had endured thunderstorms and high heat..
I was glad to have it back but fiqured it was toast after sitting in the elements so long..

Well imagine my surprise when my Mavic fired up with a different battery and the firehouse strobes worked fine after a charge...

So do as u please but I can tell u they got wet, cooked and abandoned but after a few hours of charging came back to life good as new..

What you propose is a good idea but let me tell you my personal experience with firehouse strobes..

A year and a half ago my Mavic self landed at night with two firehouse strobes in stock form.
For 30 days my Mavic was missing..
I had written it off and began to sell off remote and batteries when I got a call from a man I had met the day after I lost Mavic..
He informed me he had found my mavic on his roof!!!!
For 30 days and nights my Mavic had endured thunderstorms and high heat..
I was glad to have it back but fiqured it was toast after sitting in the elements so long..

Well imagine my surprise when my Mavic fired up with a different battery and the firehouse strobes worked fine after a charge...

So do as u please but I can tell u they got wet, cooked and abandoned but after a few hours of charging came back to life good as new..

Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't had a seconds worth of remorse in buying mine. One of the best things that I have purchased are my firehouse strobes... unlike the piece of junk dyson vacuum cleaner I bought 6 months ago, and regret daily. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: A.O. and JohnnyD913
Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven't had a seconds worth of remorse in buying mine. One of the best things that I have purchased are my firehouse strobes... unlike the piece of junk dyson vacuum cleaner I bought 6 months ago, and regret daily. ;)
Sorry to hear about Dyson..
I thought they were the bomb diggity..
Guess not huh..

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54