DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Optics and the sun

Rchawks

Reactions
Everyone knows not to stare into the sun. What about your drones, will the powerful sunbeam degrade you camera receptors (for a lack of a better tech description) if pointed in it's direction for too long of a span?

Everyone knows not to stare into the sun. What about your drones, will the powerful sunbeam degrade you camera receptors (for a lack of a better tech description) if pointed in it's direction for too long of a span?
I don't think it's the duration so much as the timing.
Our drones can be "blinded" by light (sunrise/sunset/etc) if approached at the wrong angle, resulting in unpredictable behavior. Our eyes suffer more from prolonged exposure (although intensity matters).
This is why I'm always careful flying at sunset (as beautiful as it may be)!

I don't think it's the duration so much as the timing.
Our drones can be "blinded" by light (sunrise/sunset/etc) if approached at the wrong angle, resulting in unpredictable behavior. Our eyes suffer more from prolonged exposure (although intensity matters).
This is why I'm always careful flying at sunset (as beautiful as it may be)!
I don’t think that really addresses the question asked, though.

I don’t know a definite answer, but I’ve certainly read stories on SLR forums about those sensors (not to mention shutters and aperture blades) being damaged by long exposure shots. Of course, a DSLR or mirrorlwas setup is going to be capturing a lot more light and heat than anything in the Mavic line, but it would seem to reason it’s possible. I have taken shots into the sun with no negative effects (I mean the pics weren’t much good) but keep in mind we don’t have a shutter protecting the sensor like on an SLR - the Magic’s are basically flying point-and-shoot (or mirrorless) cameras with the sensor constantly exposed to the light. So my admittedly somewhat uneducated answer is probably, yes. Though short-term exposure is unlikely to cause problems.

On the other hand, my Ring doorbell is pointed directly at the sun a few hours every day and seems to be working fine after 4 years, so who knows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa