DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Optimal vertical speed range?

DJI have already set the optimal vertical speed range for you.
What makes you say that? Do you have any empirical evidence or data?

Max ascent speed is higher in sport mode than p-gps mode so which one are you talking about?

The limited research I have done would indicate optimal ascent speed varies by altitude(atmospheric pressure), wind speed, and horizontal speed.

The settings DJI have put in for P-GPS ascent speed seem to be set at where the battery can comfortably handle the amp draw if also the drone is at max tilt for P-GPS in all operating conditions. Meaning you could full pitch forward and full throttle the whole flight and not get a battery current error. Efficiency doesn’t seem to have been a consideration because if in no wind the max ascent in sport mode is more efficient if maintaining a totally level attitude in (height gained/milliamp used) but add in wind and lateral movement you’d get a current error before long.

While max forward tilt is governed by the imu which will limit the amount of forward tilt the pilot can input based on detected wind speeds, the vertical speeds are constant and governed by set velocity (5m/s in sport and 4m/s in p-gps)without any consideration for wind speed or tilt.

I think it’s a great question that has a very complex answer I don’t have but the answer that 5m/s or 4m/s (still don’t know which one you are referring to) is always the most efficient speed given the wide range of operating conditions seems impossible.

I think it’s a great question that has a very complex answer I don’t have but the answer that 5m/s or 4m/s (still don’t know which one you are referring to) is always the most efficient speed given the wide range of operating conditions seems impossible.
No-one mentioned efficiency.
The word he used was optimum.
DJI have varied ascent/descent speed from their earlier models before the Mavic and settled on the current speed settings to be a good balance that avoids problems and crashes that used to be a problem.
I think it's a reasonable assumption that DJI propulsion engineers have put some thought and experimentation into the settings.

Reactions: brett8883
No-one mentioned efficiency.
The word he used was optimum.
DJI have varied ascent/descent speed from their earlier models before the Mavic and settled on the current speed settings to be a good balance that avoids problems and crashes that used to be a problem.
I think it's a reasonable assumption that DJI propulsion engineers have put some thought and experimentation into the settings.
Good point!

Reactions: Stevemcam
I am looking for the values that are the most benign to the aircraft (least stress to battery, props, etc.), yet keeps it going up or down faster than a snail so I do not waste battery time, enhance cooling, etc. There must be an optimal range, however approximate (wind, temp, elev, etc. of course affects it). What is it?

I am looking for the values that are the most benign to the aircraft (least stress to battery, props, etc.), yet keeps it going up or down faster than a snail so I do not waste battery time, enhance cooling, etc. There must be an optimal range, however approximate (wind, temp, elev, etc. of course affects it). What is it?
If you think you know better than DJI's design engineers, you are free to set anything you like.

Reactions: Kilrah
If you think you know better than DJI's design engineers, you are free to set anything you like.

Let me help you: By design, your bread toaster can toast the slice between 0-300 sec. Bon appétit to the ones toasted for 0 or 300 sec.

Let me help you: By design, your bread toaster can toast the slice between 0-300 sec. Bon appétit to the ones toasted for 0 or 300 sec.
Let me help you.
Just leave the ascent/descent rates as they were set by DJI's propulsion engineers.
They know what they are doing (and someone that's asking as many very basic questions as you doesn't).

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
Optimal conditions it’s about 5m/s so full throttle up IF....**IF** you are not going forward too

Don’t worry about down. The optimal decent speed is considerably faster then it will let you.

I think something that is not obvious for most people is that hovering in place can be one of the more stressful things on a battery and actually moving takes much less energy. The 31 mins advertised by DJI is at a constant 30mph which is full steam ahead. Doesn’t seem right I know but that’s what it is

Reading all these comments is somewhat like the committee who designed a horse and got a giraffe! Wasn't the basic question "how fast can the Mav 2 pro go up?

What is the optimal vertical speed range?
OPTIMUM - is self defined here -
My Optimum for Incredible Visual experience is FAST UP-
I'v set my Vert Speed and Acceleration BOTH to 10 in SPort mode (Stock is around 6) - and Iv set 6 in P-Mode (compared to stock of 3-4)
OPTIMUM down - is OFF
Going Down uses way less energy so - I guess the faster down - the less the engine will stress -
----
So its really up to you - to design your flight as you Need it.
The slower you can tolerate up I guess would use the LEAST battery.
The faster you can tolerate down - would also.
------
A more scientific question could be what is the optimum TILT angle would be to balance gravity to LIFT to horizontal speed .

Reading all these comments is somewhat like the committee who designed a horse and got a giraffe! Wasn't the basic question "how fast can the Mav 2 pro go up?
Well that’s easy. Fastest with stock parameters is 5 m/s. Can be adjusted to a maximum of 10 m/s.

- No not the FASTEST ….
Optimal is the word in question ….

What is the optimal vertical speed range?

set it to what you feel is safe. there are no optimals here. for sport mode i find safe at +8 and -7. for P mode - +6 and -5. some set sport to +10 - dunno what would that help much.

more than -7 is not very stable while going down, especially in the wind.

NLD sets sport to angle of 50 and +10 up, but, i find that to be very heavy on front motors. you`ll risk burning them up.

+-10 is the max m/s speed of the vertical movement

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121