DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Order of turning on devices

Videoman

Reactions
Does it matter in which order I turn on the devices?
1. App on phone or tablet
2. Controller
3. Mavic

Interesting ... thanks ... I see some people do it in a different order, so my question remains ... Does it matter?

The matter of TX versus Mavic has been debated before here, and it has been pretty much established that the TX should be turned on before the Mavic due to safety and control reasons. Doing that greatly reduces the chances of the Mavic responding to stray signals when it first wakes up and helps ensure that it is always under control. That order is also the well established standard practice among RC hobbyists.

As for where the smartphone App fits in, I haven't seen that discussed before.

Reactions: Clinton1
So far, three different people have chimed in with their order preference and it's interesting to note that while all three agree that the TX should be turned on before the Mavic, all three of them have different answers about when the App should be turned on. One says the App should be turned on first. One says the App should be turned on last. And one says that the App should be turned on between the turning on of the TX and Mavic.

Maybe when the App is turned on doesn't really matter?

So far, three different people have chimed in with their order preference and it's interesting to note that while all three agree that the TX should be turned on before the Mavic, all three of them have different answers about when the App should be turned on. One says the App should be turned on first. One says the App should be turned on last. And one says that the App should be turned on between the turning on of the TX and Mavic.

Maybe when the App is turned on doesn't really matter?

Yes ... totally agree

I turn on the RC or TX as some call it
Then I turn on the Mavic Quadcopter. They hook up and begin to ready themselves to fly.
I then Plug in my tablet and start DJI Go 4. It immediately says GO FLY

When I turned on DJI Go 4 in other orders it wound up with a long time for it to sort out exactly what was on the other end.

Everyone seems to agree that first and foremost to turn on is the RC ... after which the other 2 can be turned on in any order ... would that be correct?

Reactions: bertram33
Interesting ... thanks ... I see some people do it in a different order, so my question remains ... Does it matter?
I don't really know but I do know this is how I have been doing all my phantom's for 3 years and how I do this one and will continue to .
I say do what works for you and just stay consistent.
I'm not one to do what I read on here as much as I do what works for me .I do read what all do but know what has never failed me .:)

Reactions: Videoman
I couldn't get the DJI Go 4 to load properly on my Samsung Galaxy tab S2 if it was powered up prior to starting the MP or RC. After asking for help on Mavic pilots forum I was told to power up the MP first, next the RC then the tablet and DJI Go 4. Works every time for me.

Interesting..If some of you remember the long thread on opening the props before you start if you notice he does't in this ..Hmmmm
(sorry for going ot .)

I couldn't get the DJI Go 4 to load properly on my Samsung Galaxy tab S2 if it was powered up prior to starting the MP or RC. After asking for help on Mavic pilots forum I was told to power up the MP first, next the RC then the tablet and DJI Go 4. Works every time for me.

Apparently not ... always the RC first and then followed by either app or Mavic in any order ... or am I missing something

So here's my logic that if you turn on the mavic first and it feels it doesn't have the RC to talk to it will go into rth mode and possibly fly up 100 feet even though something might be up there in other words out of control

I just don't worry about order. With the old analog 72Mhz RC aircraft, order was important because any stray signal on the frequency could be interpreted as a control signal. With digital signals and linking, this just does not happen. The aircraft must see the proper digital signature in the transmitted packets before it will take any action. You can compare it with a Bluetooth headset. I've never heard of a Bluetooth device accidentally responding to the wrong cell phone, and I've never heard of a Mavic responding to anything other than it's digitally-paired controller. You may feel safer turning on the RC first and there is no harm in that, but IMO it doesn't matter much.

Reactions: TBird and Videoman
Does it matter in which order I turn on the devices?
1. App on phone or tablet
2. Controller
3. Mavic

Straight from the MP Owners Manual p. 52
e74e5dc4dfd72b6a59fc63ee7adf0a9b.jpg

The most important thing is to turn on your transmitter first. Then you can go monkey nuts. Doesn't matter what u turn on. The app in no way controls the craft. Unless Ure flying a mission and it uploads waypoints to ur drone

Order doesn't matter at all.

I however wake up and unlock my phone before turning the controller on, because if it's locked I'd have to unplug/replug the USB cable after unlocking to get the android prompt of which app to use again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake