DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ordered One

SmilingOgre

Reactions
For pickup tomorrow. Hoping this will inspire me to take the drone with me more and get more flight time. I've got a V mount 95Wh brick that I can take along as well to top off batteries. I'm liking the idea of no sensors and hoping for the best. Pretty excited.

Reactions: old man mavic
I'm liking the idea of no sensors
You got that right. I have owned (and gave away) a Phantom 4 (original) - which I could turn all of the sensors off with GO4. A Mavic 2 Pro - which I can turn all of the sensors off with GO4. And a Mavic Air 2 - which uses the bloody Fly app and does not allow me to turn off the bottom sensors to make it easier for hand catching at the end of a flight. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of any OA sensor on any of my drones. Never have, and never will need them.

You got that right. I have owned (and gave away) a Phantom 4 (original) - which I could turn all of the sensors off with GO4. A Mavic 2 Pro - which I can turn all of the sensors off with GO4. And a Mavic Air 2 - which uses the bloody Fly app and does not allow me to turn off the bottom sensors to make it easier for hand catching at the end of a flight. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of any OA sensor on any of my drones. Never have, and never will need them.
It will be one step at a time for me. Start with open spaces and move toward more tight maneuvering. No hurry here but it would be nice to not have to deal with the things having fits all the time.

its interesting to see that i am not the only one who finds obstacle avoidance sensors an unnecessary addition to our drones
as i have mentioned in other threads they just add complexity to the drone ,shorten flight time, and as we all have seen dont always work when it comes to avoiding something

its interesting to see that i am not the only one who finds obstacle avoidance sensors an unnecessary addition to our drones
as i have mentioned in other threads they just add complexity to the drone ,shorten flight time, and as we all have seen dont always work when it comes to avoiding something
Sensors have saved me numerous times!
Do you drive a car without a horn too? I guess I need all the help I can get when flying. Sometimes you really don’t realize that you are approaching a tree.
Dale

Sensors have saved me numerous times!
Do you drive a car without a horn too? I guess I need all the help I can get when flying. Sometimes you really don’t realize that you are approaching a tree.
Dale
This of course, is a discussion/debate that could go on and on, and although I fully respect your opinion - and would encourage you to operate your UAV as you have and are used to - here is my issue with 'Obstacle Avoidance Sensors'.

Traditional aviation has always adhered to what I will refer to as the '200% factor'. A simple example of this would be a propeller for let's say a Cessna 172 aircraft. The manufacturer tests this propeller under normal expected use and concludes that it would function serviceably for 4000 hours prior to exhibiting failure or possible failure of any kind. They would then recommend that said propeller be replaced with a new or overhauled unit at 2000 hours. In fact, the FAA would require this replacement for aircraft operated commercially - and they do.

The problem with UAV OA as it stands today - on what are indeed aircraft - is that its reliability factor is very much lower than 100%. As such, its current state of technology - at least as implemented on DJI drones - would not be good enough to meet the traditional aviation use standard, and again, these are aircraft that have a potential to injure people or worse if crashed.

Then there is the problem of a pilot's false sense of security with OA. Feeling secure with a system that has a much less than 100% reliability record is never a good thing. I would argue that not trusting or using the OA system causes one to be a more cautious and vastly more aware pilot, resulting in not putting the aircraft in a position where OA - if it indeed worked reliably - would be relied on to protect the aircraft from damage and humans from possible injury in the first place.

the wonderful thing about this forum ,is the fact that people can put their point of view ,with regards to any topic ,and do so in a manner thats not offensive to others
there will always be various schools of thought about many topics on how we fly our drones
and difference is what makes the world the place it is

This of course, is a discussion/debate that could go on and on, and although I fully respect your opinion - and would encourage you to operate your UAV as you have and are used to - here is my issue with 'Obstacle Avoidance Sensors'.

Traditional aviation has always adhered to what I will refer to as the '200% factor'. A simple example of this would be a propeller for let's say a Cessna 172 aircraft. The manufacturer tests this propeller under normal expected use and concludes that it would function serviceably for 4000 hours prior to exhibiting failure or possible failure of any kind. They would then recommend that said propeller be replaced with a new or overhauled unit at 2000 hours. In fact, the FAA would require this replacement for aircraft operated commercially - and they do.

The problem with UAV OA as it stands today - on what are indeed aircraft - is that its reliability factor is very much lower than 100%. As such, its current state of technology - at least as implemented on DJI drones - would not be good enough to meet the traditional aviation use standard, and again, these are aircraft that have a potential to injure people or worse if crashed.

Then there is the problem of a pilot's false sense of security with OA. Feeling secure with a system that has a much less than 100% reliability record is never a good thing. I would argue that not trusting or using the OA system causes one to be a more cautious and vastly more aware pilot, resulting in not putting the aircraft in a position where OA - if it indeed worked reliably - would be relied on to protect the aircraft from damage and humans from possible injury in the first place.
I have been flying drones now for 3 years at least. The Mavic 1 Air had sensors which saved me numerous times. The Mavic Mini 2 not so much but I was extremely careful and cautious because of that and never hit anything with the Mavic Mini 2. (Just sold it). Now I exclusively use the M2P and the other day, while doing a routine low level flight I heard a loud beeping. Lo and behold, I had nearly missed a palm frond right after taking off! Thankfully, I immediately corrected and avoided a collision. So, yes, I really do try to fly without dependency on the sensors but they sure help when I least expected them to.

It's nice to have a jack even though I don't expect a flat tire, and it's nice to have a horn, even though I don't expect to have a collision. I am not proud- let the sensors tell me, and I'm fine with that.

Dale

First impressions.....

That thing is tiny! And light! I'm almost afraid to hold it and break something off. My first flight in the house felt almost like fpv as with the gps going in and out the aircraft was having a very rough hovering/maintaining altitude. I did bump on chair with the bottom of the craft. Scared the bejuses out of my poor cat. Haven't gathered any footage yet. After a quick first flight I let everything charge. Interesting bird. Hope to try it outside tomorrow.

Just did a little flying and and a couple of quick shots. No complaints. Very usable footage. Not even gonna wish it had some of the features my M2P has because, well, It cost nothing like the M2P. Pretty impressive little bugger. If I want to snag 10 bit dlog I'll just have to take out the big boy but this will make a very nice little tag along with the Pocket camera. Not much to carry to "get the shot".

Reactions: Brockrock
Just did a little flying and and a couple of quick shots. No complaints. Very usable footage. Not even gonna wish it had some of the features my M2P has because, well, It cost nothing like the M2P. Pretty impressive little bugger. If I want to snag 10 bit dlog I'll just have to take out the big boy but this will make a very nice little tag along with the Pocket camera. Not much to carry to "get the shot".
Ogre:
I wish I felt that way but I don't. Just sold my almost new one for $375.00(with 2 batteries) after a 3 week trial in Tanzania and Kenya. The controls are mildly confusing to me on the iPhone 11 Pro Max screen. I really like the DJI Go4 app for the M2Pro much better than DJI Fly. I am too used to a variable aperture from my M2P. I feel more comfortable with my M2P and don't even know if I will spring for the M3. I m not a multi-drone guy.

Dale

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Ogre:
I wish I felt that way but I don't. Just sold my almost new one for $375.00(with 2 batteries) after a 3 week trial in Tanzania and Kenya. The controls are mildly confusing to me on the iPhone 11 Pro Max screen. I really like the DJI Go4 app for the M2Pro much better than DJI Fly. I am too used to a variable aperture from my M2P. I feel more comfortable with my M2P and don't even know if I will spring for the M3. I m not a multi-drone guy.

Dale
Sorry to hear you didn't bond with it. Even though it has found a place for me it will never replace my M2P. Neither will and M3x from what I understand of it. As you note the MP2 has a wonderful plethora of controls both for the bird and the camera that make it my go to drone if I am doing anything serious. I'm flying it today along with the mini as via the mini I have discovered more controls on the MP2. Don't ask. It's just how my mind works. It confuses me often how that thing operates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121