DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orientation Icon Not Working

Beepman1984

Reactions
For the last 2 weeks the 'Orientation Icon' on my Mavic Mini has been displaying backwards. In other words, when the drone is in front of me, it shows that it is behind me and vise-versa. I have tried:
1. Recalibrating the Drone's compass (Several times)
2. Recalibrating the IMU
3. Recalibrating my phone's compass
4. Refreshing the firmware using DJI assistant

Nothing works!!

Any help would be appreciated! THX

Reactions: Lurch003
It is a problem with the phone's compass being affected by the magnetic field from the controller stick modules. Provided that your phone compass works properly when not connected to the controller then you should be able to demonstrate that by connecting it with a longer cable to the USB A port on the controller - if it's not in close proximity it should display correctly.

Oddly I spotted that mine seemed to be working tonight, previously I have had a red dashed line semi circle or other things I haven't paid any attention to . That I know of, the only thing I have done differently is moved the phone, a Samsung S6, about 1/4" out/away from the controller body so that the phone's home button sits aligned with the recess in the controller's LH arm. This makes accessing the phone's touch screen back button easier. Having posted this it will probably not be working tomorrow

For the last 2 weeks the 'Orientation Icon' on my Mavic Mini has been displaying backwards. In other words, when the drone is in front of me, it shows that it is behind me and vise-versa. I have tried:
1. Recalibrating the Drone's compass (Several times)
2. Recalibrating the IMU
3. Recalibrating my phone's compass
4. Refreshing the firmware using DJI assistant

Nothing works!!

Any help would be appreciated! THX

Noticed this on mine at the weekend- did calibrations like you with no luck. Assumed it was due to the recent software update as I'm doing everything the same as I always have. Annoying, but it's forced me to play with the GPS map more than I did before so I've learnt a little too.

EDIT- just recalibrated the phone compass and all good ;) @Beepman1984 what phone are you using?

Using Samsung Galaxy 9

Noticed this on mine at the weekend- did calibrations like you with no luck. Assumed it was due to the recent software update as I'm doing everything the same as I always have. Annoying, but it's forced me to play with the GPS map more than I did before so I've learnt a little too.

EDIT- just recalibrated the phone compass and all good ;) @Beepman1984 what phone are you using?

It is a problem with the phone's compass being affected by the magnetic field from the controller stick modules. Provided that your phone compass works properly when not connected to the controller then you should be able to demonstrate that by connecting it with a longer cable to the USB A port on the controller - if it's not in close proximity it should display correctly.
I'll try a longer cord. But why did it work perfectly before?

Using Samsung Galaxy 9

I've got a pixel 2 so android too- open your compass and calibrate in settings- when you go to do it it should tell you if it's out or good.

Recalibrate and test (excuse to get in the air!), will see if mine is back to normal later but got a feeling it will be ;)

I have recalibrated the compass on both my phone and on my drone several times. It does nothing to solve the problem.
The orientation icon worked perfectly beforehand. This seems to be a common problem reported by many DJI customers.

Ah sorry bud, I forgot you mentioned that!
Think in the excitement that my compass was "well out", I assumed yours was the same! Sorry then, will test mine later though to see if it's solved it and will let you know ;)

Oddly I spotted that mine seemed to be working tonight, previously I have had a red dashed line semi circle or other things I haven't paid any attention to . That I know of, the only thing I have done differently is moved the phone, a Samsung S6, about 1/4" out/away from the controller body so that the phone's home button sits aligned with the recess in the controller's LH arm. This makes accessing the phone's touch screen back button easier. Having posted this it will probably not be working tomorrow
Had started a topic on this issue before, but did not resolve it yet.
I will try to do as you describe and see if that works. Btw what kind of cable is the connectionbetween the AC and the RC? Can I use any USB cable with fitting connectors?

I have the std cable as supplied with the drone BUT a micro USB B plug to whatever-you-need DATA cable should work, I do not know if there are "charge only" cables in the configuration you need hence my stressing DATA.
To give me a long reach cable I connected a micro-USB-B-plug-to-full-size-USB-type-A-socket cable with a full-sized-USB-type-A-plug-to-a-micro-USB-B-plug cable and it worked fine.
The socket on the controller appears to be micro USB type A, see USB hardware - Wikipedia

I do not know if the orientation working for me last night was a fluke but one other thing about last night has just occurred to me whilst typing the first part of the message. It's the first time I have taken note of the orientation icon when I was standing in an area where I am not in GPS 'shadow', normally I am standing in an area of poor GPS reception ( lockdown and all that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ronny St.
I have the std cable as supplied with the drone BUT a micro USB B plug to whatever-you-need DATA cable will work, I do not know if there are "charge only" cables in this configuration hence my stressing DATA.
To give me a long reach cable I connected a micro-USB-B-plug-to-full-size-USB-type-A-socket cable with a full-sized-USB-type-A-plug to a micro-USB-B-plug cable and it worked fine.
The socket on the controller appears to be micro USB type A, see USB hardware - Wikipedia
Ah, ok, thanks for the information. I did not know if it was a special cable or standard usb.

the std cable is perhaps unusual in that it is the A type micro USB connector (first time I have ever seen one but maybe that's just me) at the controller end but it accepts type B plugs as evidenced by the supplied charging cable

lol that got me too, I'm guessing it was "odd", as in unusual, typed in capitals for emphasis but ..............we will have to wait and see

Euh, probably stupid question, but what does ODD stands for?
My only writing ODD was stupid. As Foggg noted it is unusual. The socket is rectangular and is Micro A female accepting a Micro A male plug. But it also accepts a Micro B male plug. But the Micro B must be oriented correctly or the port can be damaged (which happened to folks with the Mavic 2 series controller)

USB types--.jpgUSB types--.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf