DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Original iPad mini?

Shacky

Reactions
I have an original mini sitting around that I was thinking of only using for the Mavic. I know it is not on the list of recommended devices as it is "too old."

But, has anyone tried it?

People have tried it. It's too slow to run DJI GO. You'll need at least an iPad Mini 2.

OK, well my iPad Air 2 doesn't fit, my iPad mini is too old, and my iPhone is smaller than I'm happy with.

I guess I will buy a mini. So, my next question is, Is it worth paying the extra for the iPad Mini 4 or is the Mini 2 just fine? I'm not worried about any applications other than DJI Go and Litchi.

And one more question. Is it worth getting one that has cellular ability for the additional gps function in the iPad? I do not plan on buying a data plan for it, but I'm wondering if even without being on a cell plan, is it a good idea to get one.

And one more question. Is it worth getting one that has cellular ability for the additional gps function in the iPad? I do not plan on buying a data plan for it, but I'm wondering if even without being on a cell plan, is it a good idea to get one.

Yeah, that's an interesting question because if you don't have GPS, will your Mavic still show up on the map display, or does the Mavic send the GPS to the Go App and it updates the map from there? I need to get a new iPad mini as well since I have an old original mini. I'd rather get the wifi only one if it's a good option. I won't be able to YT/FB live stream, but I could either use my phone or hotspot to do that.

Is it worth paying the extra for the iPad Mini 4 or is the Mini 2 just fine?
Performance-wise, you likely won't notice any differences when using DJI GO and Litchi. The iPad Mini 4 is lighter, has a faster processor, has a brighter screen, has an anti-reflective coating on the screen, and is less prone to overheating when flying in hot temperatures.

Is it worth getting one that has cellular ability for the additional gps function in the iPad?
You'll be able to use the Follow Me feature and reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't plan to use those features, then save some money and get a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini. The cellular models are even more expensive if you buy one without a data plan.

if you don't have GPS, will your Mavic still show up on the map display
Yes. Everything will work other than the two features I mentioned above.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
I sold my Ipad mini 2 when I sold my p4 thinking the Mavic couldn't use it. So once I found out the controller will fit I found a mini4 with cellular off Craigslist for $275. Works great. I do think the screen is a bit less reflective than the mini 2 I had, and I haven't had any screen glitches. I would usually have at least two per flight with the mini 2.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Another option is Nexus 7 on Android which you could probably pick up cheaper than the mini second hand on eBay. I have a wi-fi only 2nd Gen version but I tether it to my phone for internet connection. You don't need a SIM card/Cell plan to use the the GPS in the phone/device. I have always used my old android phones as SatNav in my cars to save spending on TomTom or similar.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
last year I bought a P3P & got a mini4 w/cellular. Also got a reflective screen that helps. Haven't tried the pad with my Mavic, but may. I'd go with mini4 & cellular option. I paid a nominal amount to add it and can use my existing data plan. Never gone over my mo. amount. So far, I'm totally sold on the Mav. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

@msinger Would using a non-data capable iPad connected to a hotspot from your phone enable those GPS features you lose without the built-in GPS?

GPS data cannot be shared over a hotspot. You'll only get an Internet connection.

I have a tablet with GPS. Are you saying in order to use the GPS in my tablet when flying the Mavic I need a data plan for the tablet?

I have a tablet with GPS. Are you saying in order to use the GPS in my tablet when flying the Mavic I need a data plan for the tablet?
You do not need a data plan if you're using an Apple device. The GPS will work either way.

Im confused, no need for dataplan if using apple device ?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Im confused, no need for dataplan if using apple device ?
If you're referring to using GPS on an Apple device, then, no, you don't need a data plan. You only need a cellular Apple device since Wi-Fi only Apple devices do not contain GPS receivers.

Reactions: scubari
I have an old iPad mini 2 with cellular but it doesn't recognise the SIM card any longer. Seems like I might have a new use for it in December when my Mavic arrived [emoji2]

Thanks for all the replies, especially Msinger. Time to do some shopping.

Just to confirm, I'm using a wifi-only iPad mini 2 wand it works great, yes including GPS "pass-thru" from the Mavic (ie. I see the copter on a map in the DJI Go app)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie