DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Original Mav Pro controller charge time?

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Been charging my original Mavic Pro controller from about 5%. It's been unused since the spring. It's been on there for many hours (the 3 batts for the MP and Phantom 4 Pro are already charged and put away for tomorrow's flights).

MP controller is only at 38% in about 4 hours.

Normal?

When you run them down that far they usually take longer to build up again. I use a P4P charger and it still takes a while to charge. Important to regularly pull it out of storage and refresh the batteries.
Regards

No, not normal.
While I can't be precise, it charges in less time than a battery (which is much less).

It is a Li-ion battery, a similar chemistry battery to the drone lipos, so can be damaged from long term non use.
Maybe let it fully charge like the drone batteries after they drain too low and 'brick', it might be ok and charge faster next time on the charger.

If it doesn't improve, part charges, or drains really fast in use (should last 4 - 6 drone batteries, depending how low you safely fly them down), then you may need to either find a decent 2nd hand controller (I bet there's lots out there on the various 2nd hand goods websites), OR if you are a bit of a handyperson, you can replace them.

The YT description has a link to the M1P 3.7v battery, and also a link to the 3.8v the M2 controllers take.
Be sure to order the 3.7v here . . .

Let us know if a longer initial charge does result in future normal charge times.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
It might be worth trying a different charger and or cable, with a Mavic 2 controller and, to a lesser extent, the Mavic Mini controller I find the time taken varies greatly with the charger and or the cable. It's always handy to have a USB ammeter/ charge-meter so that you can see what the charging current is.
Does the MP controller give any indication as to how fast it is being charged e,g. certain lights etc. flashing at an appropriate speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be worth trying a different charger and or cable, with a Mavic 2 controller and, to a lesser extent, the Mavic Mini controller I find the time taken varies greatly with the charger and or the cable. It's always handy to have a USB ammeter/ charge-meter so that you can see what the charging current is.
Does the MP controller give any indication as to how fast ot is being charged e,g. certain lights etc. flashing at variable speeds?

Very true, assuming OP is using OEM charger with good amp output, and decent cable (if not OEM).

The M1P controller has 4 led indicator lights that go solid / flash, just like the drone batteries, so very easy to see SOC as it rises.
They go off when fully charged like the drone batteries too.
Turning the controller on, the display gives % SOC for easy reference.

Does the MP controller give any indication as to how fast it is being charged e,g. certain lights etc. flashing at an appropriate speed?

The controller has a % indicator, not the bar of lights.

I'll change the cable and see if that helps.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
This got me to thinking, does anyone know how large a current these chargers normally draw from the mains? I assume it a bit more complicated than following P=IV
Just looked at the specs on the back of a DJI Mavic 18W mini charger and it's 100/250V 50/60Hz 0.5A but I guess it draws less than 0.5A most of the time otherwise there's a fair bit of power being wasted.

That seems to help. Changed to another USB cable (shorter too) and it shot from 44% to 54% in less than 25 minutes.
Could be in the charging sweet spot too. Should slow down again above 80%.
To think tomorrow's flying is to condition the batteries for winter storage.... (Fly them down to 50% ish).

Hopefully I go down south this winter ... take the MP again...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada