DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orlando, FL

Br1an

Reactions
Hey there, any meet up/flying groups around the Orlando area? Also anyone have any cool places that you are allowed to fly to get some good photos/videos?

Hey Brian! Davenport here. I just moved here from Daytona actually but it's great having all this Class G airspace to fly in! I am still looking for scenic stuff to fly but overall it's kind of open down this way and lots of empty areas.

Hey Brian! Davenport here. I just moved here from Daytona actually but it's great having all this Class G airspace to fly in! I am still looking for scenic stuff to fly but overall it's kind of open down this way and lots of empty areas.
Awesome! Ill have to check it out. What apps do you use to check airspace?

Fly around the neighborhood a bit, also just south of the Beachline are some open fields. Went over to Cocoa Beach this past weekend since the weather was perfect, got some good footage from that. Really like flying over the St. John’s river out on 520 though.

Fly around the neighborhood a bit, also just south of the Beachline are some open fields. Went over to Cocoa Beach this past weekend since the weather was perfect, got some good footage from that. Really like flying over the St. John’s river out on 520 though.

Yeah same here, mainly just above my house and in the open fields/lake. I havent flown at a beach per say. I flew at ponce inlet a little bit super early in the morning, how do people feel about you flying at the beach? Yeah I drove past the St. Johns this past weekend but didnt have the drone with me unfortunately.

Hey there. I live near the MCO, and I've been flying around the neighborhood. I spoke to Orlando Tower, and they couldn't have been nicer. Basically, they said that as long as I'm responsible, and do not get in the way of aircraft, they do not want a call every time I fly the aircraft. I'm an airline pilot, and I explained that I just want to be sure that I'm in compliance with the regs.

If you find some interesting places to fly around here, let me know. What part of Orlando are you in?

Reactions: baldy54
Hey there. I live near the MCO, and I've been flying around the neighborhood. I spoke to Orlando Tower, and they couldn't have been nicer. Basically, they said that as long as I'm responsible, and do not get in the way of aircraft, they do not want a call every time I fly the aircraft. I'm an airline pilot, and I explained that I just want to be sure that I'm in compliance with the regs.

If you find some interesting places to fly around here, let me know. What part of Orlando are you in?

Waterford Lakes area.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Check with the Orange County park office. It seems like each park has a different rule about allowing drones to fly in them. Some parks do not allow them, others do.

Brevard has a decent amount of FPVers - check out the Brevard Multirotor - FPV Racing Page on Facebook. We are pretty friendly!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Just got my Mavic Pro 2 days ago and can’t wait for my first flight.
Question: do I need to call all these 3 airports + the 14 helipads around International Dr and my House to take one flight? Don’t they communicate to each other?

Thanks

8c5411ec77d0e8859ef39d9a12ae76bd.png
c2dac443d74be9457d597d7392980402.png

Hey Mavic Blue!

I live in the Lake Nona area and haven’t dared to fly my Mavic because of the proximity of the MCO, VA Hospital, Nemours, etc. Where are you flying yours? And have you had any problems?

Hey Mavic Blue!

I live in the Lake Nona area and haven’t dared to fly my Mavic because of the proximity of the MCO, VA Hospital, Nemours, etc. Where are you flying yours? And have you had any problems?

Just FYI, if you head East on the 528 to Innovation Way, there’s a corporate park that is out of MCO’s area and in the back of it there is plenty of open area to fly. It’s not the most scenic, but I used it a lot when I first got the MP to practice.

I find most of the towers say the same thing. I was in Vegas last week and we went out to Rachel, NV at the gates to Area 51. We flew at an abandoned mine across the highway from the Lil A'le Inn. Didn't fly in Vegas proper except west of the strip at a friends house that was just outside the airport zones for three airports.

Just FYI, if you head East on the 528 to Innovation Way, there’s a corporate park that is out of MCO’s area and in the back of it there is plenty of open area to fly. It’s not the most scenic, but I used it a lot when I first got the MP to practice.
Thanks Pingman! Open area is what I’m looking for right now.

Hey Mavic Blue!

Hey there. I called MCO tower and spoke to them. They said that they didn't need notice each time I fly in my neighborhood, even though it is within the class B. They said just stay below 400 feet, and don't be stupid (stay away from approach paths). I'm in Laureate Park, so I'm close to all of those things. So far, no issues. If you're too close to 417, the drone won't fly because of the geolocation lock-outs.

Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike