DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orlando wants to fleece drone operators for every flight

How will they enforce this? FAA controls the NAS, not the city of Orlando so this is gonna get interesting. I could understand if they said you can't take off or land with those restrictions like the national park service does, but this is over control of the NAS that they have no control over.

In the USA, the airspace between 83' and 500' is a gray area, especially since drones have convoluted the question.

The FAA argues that it “has authority to regulate aircraft in U.S. Airspace” at any altitude because Federal law states that the FAA “shall develop plans and policy for the use of the navigable airspace and assign by regulation or order the use of the airspace necessary to ensure the safety of aircraft and the efficient use of airspace. 49 U.S.C. § 40103(b)(1).

Even if navigable airspace does not extend to the surface, the FAA has argued that it may regulate below navigable airspace because it can prescribe regulations “on the flight of aircraft for navigating, protecting, and identifying aircraft” and “protecting individuals and property on the ground.” 49 U.S.C. § 40103(b)(2).

Until we see a court case that addresses this problem, it will continue to be interpreted in many ways.

They should just create an E-Z Pass lane for drones in addition to all their other bloated exorbitant tolls. And I wonder what they consider an "accredited pilot."

"An annual permit, available only to accredited pilots, is expected to cost $150"

Reactions: MrBreez
In the USA, the airspace between 83' and 500' is a gray area, especially since drones have convoluted the question.

The FAA argues that it “has authority to regulate aircraft in U.S. Airspace” at any altitude because Federal law states that the FAA “shall develop plans and policy for the use of the navigable airspace and assign by regulation or order the use of the airspace necessary to ensure the safety of aircraft and the efficient use of airspace. 49 U.S.C. § 40103(b)(1).

Even if navigable airspace does not extend to the surface, the FAA has argued that it may regulate below navigable airspace because it can prescribe regulations “on the flight of aircraft for navigating, protecting, and identifying aircraft” and “protecting individuals and property on the ground.” 49 U.S.C. § 40103(b)(2).

Until we see a court case that addresses this problem, it will continue to be interpreted in many ways.
That's great information! Thank you for compiling it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Keule
You could assume that at some point, every operator will be required to be licensed and there will no longer be a "hobbyist" category.

You could assume that at some point, every operator will be required to be licensed and there will no longer be a "hobbyist" category.
Wouldn't be such a bad thing. If you have a license that establishes that you are a safe operator, it would end a lot of bullying and harassment from rogue law enforcement.

Reactions: Classic flyer
As long as it cost nothing I can't tentatively support that. But your talking about licencing minors... that's just messed up. LEO will always bully you. It certainly doesn't stop them from it now with all clearly defined laws in every other aspect.

Reactions: erkme73
Wouldn't be such a bad thing. If you have a license that establishes that you are a safe operator, it would end a lot of bullying and harassment from rogue law enforcement.

Would be a terrible thing and nothing would change, in my opinion. I think it would cause more problems than it would solve. You'd have to what? Show proof of license prior to purchase, you put the obligation to follow the law in the laps of the retailers? Not likely.

Would be a terrible thing and nothing would change, in my opinion. I think it would cause more problems than it would solve. You'd have to what? Show proof of license prior to purchase, you put the obligation to follow the law in the laps of the retailers? Not likely.
An operators license would be the best thing that could happen to the hobby. Have you ever had to show your automobile drivers license to buy a car? Retailers would have no obligation to check anything like that... maybe I am purchasing for a family member... I wouldn't need a license to do that. It would show authorities in the field that you have been trained and passed a knowledge test in order to safely operate one. Can you imagine if we just decided to do away with all licenses of all types? It is clear there is a need for it.

An operators license would be the best thing that could happen to the hobby. Have you ever had to show your automobile drivers license to buy a car? Retailers would have no obligation to check anything like that... maybe I am purchasing for a family member... I wouldn't need a license to do that. It would show authorities in the field that you have been trained and passed a knowledge test in order to safely operate one. Can you imagine if we just decided to do away with all licenses of all types? It is clear there is a need for it.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I never have yet. Either way, it would not be something needed to purchase it... only to operate it.

I never have yet. Either way, it would not be something needed to purchase it... only to operate it.

You honestly don't see the flaw in this thinking?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143