DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Osmo Pocket firmware update

Gr8fulTed

Reactions
Firmware Update V 01.06.00.20 for the Osmo Pocket. Released via the Mimo App.

1. Added a tip prompt and display icon when connecting an external microphone.
2. Added option in settings to turn off the beeping sound when pressing buttons.
3. Optimized UI of Pro Settings.
4. Optimized Face Detection.
5. Reduced Focus Pulsing when switching between scenes.

* Firmware Size: 98.5Mb

Last edited:
Reactions: fozzzy and mnis
Have been interested in buying the DJI Osmo Pocket, totally non-professional use. Did the necessary due diligence, umpteen online reviews, particularly youtube but honestly i'm more confused now. Some say it's great and others that it's a handy pocket camera but with some serious limitations in low light, etc.

So still trying to make up my mind between the Osmo Pocket or the GoPro Hero 7. How has your experience been? Is it worth the investment, value for money? Or is it better to wait a bit longer for further improvements to the device by DJI or perhaps something better by either DJI or GoPro?

Have been interested in buying the DJI Osmo Pocket, totally non-professional use. Did the necessary due diligence, umpteen online reviews, particularly youtube but honestly i'm more confused now. Some say it's great and others that it's a handy pocket camera but with some serious limitations in low light, etc.

So still trying to make up my mind between the Osmo Pocket or the GoPro Hero 7. How has your experience been? Is it worth the investment, value for money? Or is it better to wait a bit longer for further improvements to the device by DJI or perhaps something better by either DJI or GoPro?

Others are likely to wade in on your question(s), but since you asked me, here is what I think: I wasn't into GoPro at all prior to getting the Pocket. I am liking the Pocket very much. I also have watched dozens and dozens and dozens of YouTube videos about the Pocket and how to do video. I wound up purchasing several different accessories for it, some of which were actually GoPro accessories to allow me to do more with the Pocket. I have been an advanced amateur DSLR user for well over a decade and wasn't into video at all. The Pocket is now taking me into video, which, to my sense, is the reason to have the Pocket. I carry my DSLR almost everywhere anyway, shooting in RAW, so the Pocket brings me into the video realm for the first time.

In watching all these YouTube vids, the conclusion I've drawn is that it really depends on what you want to use the Pocket for when choosing between it and the GoPro. From what I've seen, from a strictly video sense, the Pocket seems to outshine the Hero7 in most instances, especially with the new firmware upgrade helping the focusing issue, and if you get a wide-angle lens filter for it. But if you're looking for an ACTION camera, then I think you might seriously consider the Hero7.

Most of the YouTube vids go deep into the whole "cinematic" videos thing, and I confess I am so new that I am not there yet in any way. I'm still trying to figure out which post-processing software I will wind up with, although I have begun to shoot in D-Cine and do my post work with my free version of iMovie, which is a software the more advanced people put down.

To make a very long story somewhat shorter, I am happy with the Pocket as I'm not really using it as an action camera. I shall be going on vacation next month to the UK, so we shall see how it does while vacationing.

Good luck in your choice.

To make a very long story somewhat shorter, I am happy with the Pocket as I'm not really using it as an action camera.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I've been a still enthusiast myself using a Nikon D-90 for many years now and really love it. Like most DSLRs, size and weight especially with an extra telescopic lens is somewhat of an issue making it less portable. I bought a Sony Handycam (HDR Xr500) in Paris back in 2010 but never really found videography my kind of thing till I started flying drones a few months back. The Osmo Pocket to me seems a very useful easy to carry 1080/4k camera one can use to capture footage on the move. It looks like a particularly good option to blend footage from the drones.

Thanks for your input again. Really helpful.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I've been a still enthusiast myself using a Nikon D-90 for many years now and really love it. Like most DSLRs, size and weight especially with an extra telescopic lens is somewhat of an issue making it less portable. I bought a Sony Handycam (HDR Xr500) in Paris back in 2010 but never really found videography my kind of thing till I started flying drones a few months back. The Osmo Pocket to me seems a very useful easy to carry 1080/4k camera one can use to capture footage on the move. It looks like a particularly good option to blend footage from the drones.

Our experiences seem really similar: I use a Nikon D7100, and Nikon DSLRs for well over a decade. I purchased a Mavic Air in late Autumn, did a little bit of practicing with it prior to bad Winter weather, and also believe the Pocket will work well in conjunction with it. Unfortunately, I don't think I can bring the MA to London and fly it, so will struggle through with the Pocket.

Be well!

Reactions: mnis and LazyBird

There’s a trade off with the Osmo Pocket between absolute quality and convenience.

I’ve been shooting video and film a long time. For all sorts of jobs. I’ve got lots of kit. Gimbals. Cameras- and used and played with a lot of stuff. They all have their place. They’re all useful.

The pocket isn’t going to stand up to a larger sensor camera for image quality. However it’s **** good for the size. Plus the gimbal part for stability is superb. Go pro is a joke. Osmo also has way better manual control. Go pro is still rubbish.

If you don’t mind the footage from an iPhone or similar (the latest models) then you’ll love the Osmo Pocket quality.

The cinematic talk is usually people who are trying to be clever and blabble on about Color grading and all that. It’s not meant for that. The usually shoot into the sun and wear jeans and no socks. Ignore the debate on ‘cinematic’.

Since I’ve had mine I have found myself shooting more ‘casual’ video. I take it on days out- and I took it to Sydney and HK with me. I also had a Sony RX100V with me. I used it once for video even though it’s better than the pocket for quality.

For me- it’s having it always with me. Starts up ina. Few seconds. Done. In full auto it’s decent. In manual it’s excellent.

The secret in my opinion is to get the camera. Get a memory card and that’s it. Perhaps the ND filters if you’re going manual and want to have more control but that is all you need. You don’t need anything else.

People like to bulk these things up to make them something they aren’t. All the rigging and attachments etc. Keep is simple. Get the shots. Enjoy your days out. That’s what this device is all about.

Just as an aside. I shot this totally on the OP. If you’re happy with this (and accounting for internet compression) then get one immediately. You won’t regret it.

https://youtu.be/DTYCUHfO4lI

Reactions: mnis
The pocket isn’t going to stand up to a larger sensor camera for image quality. However it’s **** good for the size. Plus the gimbal part for stability is superb. Go pro is a joke. Osmo also has way better manual control. Go pro is still rubbish.

Very helpful, inkytog. I agree, the stability a 3-axis mechanical gimbal provides is a feature that gives it an edge probably over similar devices and ideal for on-the-go video capture, which is why I feel inclined towards the Osmo pocket. And as you mentioned, handy, ready to use, no complications is exactly what I'm looking for.

p.s After flying DJI drones and experiencing first hand the performance of the 3-axis gimbal camera on my Mavic Air, I have a DJI bias I must admit. Customer satisfaction is everything.

Very helpful, inkytog. I agree, the stability a 3-axis mechanical gimbal provides is a feature that gives it an edge probably over similar devices and ideal for on-the-go video capture, which is why I feel inclined towards the Osmo pocket. And as you mentioned, handy, ready to use, no complications is exactly what I'm looking for.

p.s After flying DJI drones and experiencing first hand the performance of the 3-axis gimbal camera on my Mavic Air, I have a DJI bias I must admit. Customer satisfaction is everything.
Oh DJI are a shambles with product launches and delivering stuff to their loyal customers. However at the moment there is nothing close in terms of similar kit.
Even when there is something - DJI generally have the better software and integration etc. So what they lack in other areas they generally keep up with firmware and features.

Don’t over think it. It’s a great camera and gimbal. Get it and enjoy it. Learn how to get the most from it. Don’t pay much attention to men on electric skateboards calling every product they get sent for free ‘dope’.

Reactions: fozzzy and LazyBird
Does anyone know what the happy face does on the Osmo Pocket Settings screen? I can’t find anyone discussing it on the internet.

Does anyone know what the happy face does on the Osmo Pocket Settings screen? I can’t find anyone discussing it on the internet.
It's 'Beautify' mode. I haven't had the chance to play about with the settings to see what it does

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada