DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out of Focus/Blurry Image FIX

sdpy

Reactions
So I found a fix to the out of focus/blurry image problem with the Mavic Pro. Complete the IMU calibration with the gimbal restraint (the clear guard that goes behind the gimbal)!

I literally spent over 10 hours troubleshooting it. This is my first quadcopter, and first time using a gimbal and I didn't really have any idea what I was doing with it; however, I was getting mad with the bugs. 90% of the time my image looked completely blurry, and 10% of the time only part of the image was clear.

I tried the IMU calibration multiple times without the gimbal guard, and each time I had the same result, a blurry, out of focused image. I will say that I was about to email DJI and give them an ear lashing. Half a day later I get the smart idea to try it with the guard. Voila! Fixed! CLEAR IMAGES!

Honestly, I can't believe that it is actually working. Now I just have to wait until its light out (and hopefully not snowing) to give it a full test.

Please spread the word about this fix, I'm not sure if someone else has already solved the problem this way, or if it is common sense to this crowd; however, it should be made a heck of a lot more clear so noobs like me can figure it out with greater ease.

Attached are images of before and after. I'll try to attach more photos or a video if it is all working to plan, or if I find any more bugs. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181228-001827_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20181228-001827_Video Player.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.20.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.20.48 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
So I found a fix to the out of focus/blurry image problem with the Mavic Pro. Complete the IMU calibration with the gimbal restraint (the clear guard that goes behind the gimbal)!

I literally spent over 10 hours troubleshooting it. This is my first quadcopter, and first time using a gimbal and I didn't really have any idea what I was doing with it; however, I was getting mad with the bugs. 90% of the time my image looked completely blurry, and 10% of the time only part of the image was clear.

I tried the IMU calibration multiple times without the gimbal guard, and each time I had the same result, a blurry, out of focused image. I will say that I was about to email DJI and give them an ear lashing. Half a day later I get the smart idea to try it with the guard. Voila! Fixed! CLEAR IMAGES!

Honestly, I can't believe that it is actually working. Now I just have to wait until its light out (and hopefully not snowing) to give it a full test.

Please spread the word about this fix, I'm not sure if someone else has already solved the problem this way, or if it is common sense to this crowd; however, it should be made a heck of a lot more clear so noobs like me can figure it out with greater ease.

Attached are images of before and after. I'll try to attach more photos or a video if it is all working to plan, or if I find any more bugs. :D

It would be interesting to know how IMU calibration would affect the imaging unit... they're two completely different sensors!

Which image is the before and after?

Cheers.

It would be interesting to know how IMU calibration would affect the imaging unit... they're two completely different sensors!

Which image is the before and after?

Cheers.
The tree is awfully blurry (before)
A hand is after(background in focus)

Going to try (but doesn't the gimbal go in all directions during the cal'? fear of burning out the motor) this as I am sick of hitting the focus all the time (I get a third of my image blurry on the right), but thought it was down to being 1 from the early production.

I was contemplating getting a new lens off eBay!

Last edited:
Reactions: ccoltmanm
The tree is awfully blurry (before)
A hand is after(background in focus)

Going to try (but doesn't the gimbal go in all directions during the cal'? fear of burning out the motor) this as I am sick of hitting the focus all the time (I get a third of my image blurry on the right), but thought it was down to being 1 from the early production.

I was contemplating getting a new lens off eBay!

Which firmware version are you on? can you confirm AF is on and camera still won't focus on it's own?

The tree was taken on portrait mode, the bottom part looks focused to me, the blur is normal at f2.2. And if indeed the issue was fixed, is it correct to expect that the hand should be focused not the background?

Cheers.

Which firmware version are you on? can you confirm AF is on and camera still won't focus on it's own?

The tree was taken on portrait mode, the bottom part looks focused to me, the blur is normal at f2.2. And if indeed the issue was fixed, is it correct to expect that the hand should be focused not the background?

Cheers.
Yes AFC
When I tap my C button it does the Tap to Focus (programmed in settings)
Yes the bottom of the tree is in focus (rest is blurred)

more questions than answers here...I'm not in it for arty pictures... but get the gist of what it's all about.
The hand should focus when tapping the screen

[Edit] I'm not convinced this is a fix
latest fw

Last edited:
Im still having issues with it. After the cali it was fine, but I took it out first thing in the morning and it was blurry again. I tried to do the calibration again and after a few tries it worked, but only for about 3 min. After that it went completely blurry.
I did notice that when I rotated the gimbal downwards it seemed to focus (while flying), but then it looked like a tunnel with the outsides being soft and the inside being sharp. This leads me to believe that there is either an issue with the wiring to the autofocus (manual focus doesn't work either unless the autofocus is already getting a clear picture), or a gimbal problem.

The firmware is set to the second latest option available. I am not flying with the cover or gimbal guard on, an to be quite honest I am getting PO'ed about this. A customer expects to have a working machine when they purchase it, yet it seems that over 80% of people that have bought one of theses has this issue right out of the box.

I will also mention some other things I thought of.

When I start the machine and press auto focus (hold on the screen to centre the focus) it makes a small sound like it is focusing in with the lens. Then it stops. Indoors the whole scene looks blurry. If I put it on auto focus and adjust the focus, there is NO sound, and the image does not change.

After I did the IMU cali that first time the indoor picture had perfect clarity, and I was able to adjust the focus manually.

I have been having the same out of focus videos.
My other DJI drones, Phantom 4 Adv. and mini 2 take clear videos with auto focus on.
No having to tap the screen, make any pre adjustments or turn my mouth a certain way. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas