DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out of signal range waypoint missions

shb

Reactions
I'm starting to try waypoint missions, where I'm out of signal range for most of the mission. I did one 10 minute one, and one 13 minute one. When you make a waypoint mission at home, it tells you the time it will take to fly it, and how many miles it is. I use a stopwatch, so I know when to expect it to be back, and if it's overdue. It's a little nerve wracking.
Another thing I'm wondering, is if you fly at the maximum speed of 33 mph, how long can you expect the battery to last. I wonder if there's a chart, speed vs battery time. The 45 minute time is only with no wind, optimal speed, and of course you can't fly down to 0 battery.
I've found the custom direction pointing is better that pointing at points of interest, because it gives you complete control.
One bad thing is, you can't see the video for most of the mission, but one good thing is, when you watch it on your TV, you're watching something you've never seen before.
So I'm wondering if any other mavic 3 owners are experimenting with out of signal range waypoint missions.

I'm starting to try waypoint missions, where I'm out of signal range for most of the mission. I did one 10 minute one, and one 13 minute one. When you make a waypoint mission at home, it tells you the time it will take to fly it, and how many miles it is. I use a stopwatch, so I know when to expect it to be back, and if it's overdue. It's a little nerve wracking.
Another thing I'm wondering, is if you fly at the maximum speed of 33 mph, how long can you expect the battery to last. I wonder if there's a chart, speed vs battery time. The 45 minute time is only with no wind, optimal speed, and of course you can't fly down to 0 battery.
I've found the custom direction pointing is better that pointing at points of interest, because it gives you complete control.
One bad thing is, you can't see the video for most of the mission, but one good thing is, when you watch it on your TV, you're watching something you've never seen before.
So I'm wondering if any other mavic 3 owners are experimenting with out of signal range waypoint missions.
I haven't but thanks for sharing your experience. You still maintain VLOS, right?

You can run down to a little Below Zero Battery but you have to fight the Force to land , which is a skill that you can practice. Simply put you have to learn how to fly with your Sticks up , without letting go on the way back .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water.

You can run down to a little Below Zero Battery but you have to fight the Force to land , which is a skill that you can practice. Simply put you have to learn how to fly with your Sticks up , without letting go on the way back .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water.
But if you're out of signal range, it will force land, and you won't even know it.

Just now, I was gonna test one of my waypoint missions, which would of been slightly out of signal range. I'm in a blue geo zone, which I unlocked a long time ago. My internet went out, but that shouldn't matter anyway. So when I tried to fly, it said Authorization zone, and I couldn't start the motors. So I'm really pissed, and I sent a nasty email to DJI.

Just now, I was gonna test one of my waypoint missions, which would have been slightly out of signal range. I'm in a blue geo zone, which I unlocked a long time ago. My internet went out, but that shouldn't matter anyway. So when I tried to fly, it said Authorization zone, and I couldn't start the motors. So I'm really pissed, and I sent a nasty email to DJI.
When posting about these types of flights it is common courtesy to include what country you are flying in. Flights out of VLOS are illegal in most countries, but may be legal where you fly.

DJI drones are programmed to RTH when they lose connection with the controller. There are packages that allow for fully autonomous flight outside of controller range, but DJI does not provide that type of software and does not warrant their product for use with such software.

Writing a nasty email to DJI will likely lead to an equally non respectful reply.

But if you're out of signal range, it will force land, and you won't even know it.
That's true, @shb. I think the capitalization is important here. I could be wrong (happens a lot) but there is a video game that can use drones under water. I thought Phantomrain might be referring to that. Subnautica: Below Zero - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what software you're using for your waypoint missions, but the ones I've used for mapping allow the drone automatically return to home when low battery level is reached. You insert a fresh battery, relaunch, and the drone resumes flying the mission from where it left off.

I'm in a blue geo zone, which I unlocked a long time ago. My internet went out, but that shouldn't matter anyway. So when I tried to fly, it said Authorization zone, and I couldn't start the motors. So I'm really pissed, and I sent a nasty email to DJI.
A Yellow Warning Zone is just a warning that there are things you need to be aware of. DJI won't stop you from flying there and no further steps are required by the pilot. But you've been warned.

An Orange Enhanced Warning Zone is one step more severe. You need to click on a check box to physically acknowledge that you have received and understood the potential dangers of ignoring that warning.

DJI's Blue Authorization Zones are another step more severe (typically near an airport), again requiring you to "self-authorize" your flight, thereby declaring that you actually are authorized to fly within that zone, and that you acknowledge reception of the warnings, and that you assume all responsibilty and liability for any consequences of your flight. You must be logged in using your verified DJI account to complete this self-authorization, otherwise the drone will be prevented from taking off within the zone, or prevented from crossing from outside through the boundary into the zone.

Just now, I was gonna test one of my waypoint missions, which would of been slightly out of signal range. I'm in a blue geo zone, [...]
Flying within a Blue Authorization Zone is already risky. But flying beyond range of your control signal within such a zone, with no possible control over your drone should an emergency occur, sounds like a really bad idea.

Do you have any legitimate reason for doing this?

Reactions: Filmarik
I assume the OP is using the Mavic 2 onboard mission planner and not a 3rd party comprehensive mission planning app (which would require constant connection with controller).

I assume the OP is using the Mavic 2 onboard mission planner [...]

He says he's using a Mavic 3 with waypoints beyond signal range.

I'm starting to try waypoint missions, where I'm out of signal range for most of the mission. [...] One bad thing is, you can't see the video for most of the mission, [...] I'm wondering if any other mavic 3 owners are experimenting with out of signal range waypoint missions.

A Yellow Warning Zone is just a warning that there are things you need to be aware of. DJI won't stop you from flying there and no further steps are required by the pilot. But you've been warned.

An Orange Enhanced Warning Zone is one step more severe. You need to click on a check box to physically acknowledge that you have received and understood the potential dangers of ignoring that warning.

DJI's Blue Authorization Zones are another step more severe (typically near an airport), again requiring you to "self-authorize" your flight, thereby declaring that you actually are authorized to fly within that zone, and that you acknowledge reception of the warnings, and that you assume all responsibilty and liability for any consequences of your flight. You must be logged in using your verified DJI account to complete this self-authorization, otherwise the drone will be prevented from taking off within the zone, or prevented from crossing from outside through the boundary into the zone.

Flying within a Blue Authorization Zone is already risky. But flying beyond range of your control signal within such a zone, with no possible control over your drone should an emergency occur, sounds like a really bad idea.

Do you have any legitimate reason for doing this?
Exactly right! People like this need to be educated about flight rules and if behaving like this even after being informed of the rules and danger arrising from ignoring them, should be dealt with according to the relevant laws. I am not a party pooper but flying waypoints mission BVLS in any enhanced geo zone let alone blue one is downright stupid!

[...] flying waypoints mission BVLS in any enhanced geo zone let alone blue one is downright stupid!
I'm just very curious to know why he thinks it's a good idea. There must be more to the story than we're seeing.

Only last week in this post in another thread, @shb wrote:
"I'm against almost all drone restrictions except around airports."

The OP is in the Philippines according to a recent screenshot of his missions which might explain his BVLOS

Reactions: halifax
I thought- on the 3- you can set waypoint missions to continue the "Mission" even if out of signal range.
True or not for those who know...?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair