DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"outrunning" the map in DJI FLy

robwas

Reactions
I'm not sure how to phrase or search for this but when I'm flying at a moderate rate of speed and look at the map to see where my drone is until I let off the sticks the dot showing my drone outruns the borders of the map display. Is there any way to prevent this so the location of the drone stays centered and I can see what I'm over? Maybe I'll make a video depicting this. It happens with both my air2 and air 2s, I'm using a Samsung Tab S7 to fly.

I haven't noticed that myself but it prompts me to ask, how 'zoomed in' is your view of the map?

I haven't noticed that myself but it prompts me to ask, how 'zoomed in' is your view of the map?
I didn't change the zoom setting but I use it in a small window and it appears quite zoomed in. I'm going to try flying around today with different settings. I didn't know the zoom setting can be changed with a small map view window. It definitely catches up and centers the drone in the window when I slow down or stop momentarily. I'm not in sport mode or anything just flying at 15 mph or so.

Reactions: maggior
I see this when I use my Galaxy S7 phone to fly my MA2. Interestingly enough, I don't see this issue with my smart controller which gets hated on for performance issues.

To avoid the problem, I learned how to use the compass to navigate the drone back in my direction rather than use the red line on the small map display.

I'm not sure how to phrase or search for this but when I'm flying at a moderate rate of speed and look at the map to see where my drone is until I let off the sticks the dot showing my drone outruns the borders of the map display. Is there any way to prevent this so the location of the drone stays centered and I can see what I'm over? Maybe I'll make a video depicting this. It happens with both my air2 and air 2s, I'm using a Samsung Tab S7 to fly.
I don't get this issue when using my iPad Pro either. I'm fairly sure there should be a way to change that in the settings.

I see this when I use my Galaxy S7 phone to fly my MA2. Interestingly enough, I don't see this issue with my smart controller which gets hated on for performance issues.

To avoid the problem, I learned how to use the compass to navigate the drone back in my direction rather than use the red line on the small map display.
Yep, I have a Galaxy S7 as well as a Tab S7 and it happens on both. It's annoying and sometimes a safety issue when I'm trying to film in populated areas and not fly over a road. My camera is looking up taking video and I'm often using the map to make sure I haven't entered an area where I'd be flying over cars or something but when I can't see where my drone is on the map that creates a bad situation. VLOS it's hard to see what you're actually over from any distance. Oftentimes I'll fly to where i need to be and take the video moving in reverse towards myself to avoid this but that's not the same footage as a flight moving forward. I assumed it wasn't just me since it happens on 2 different drones. Good to know the SC doesn't exhibit this, I'll likely get the SC2 when it comes out if it's compatible with my Air2s.

Keep in mind the GPS position information has lag. So at 40mph I wouldn't expect the position to be 100% accurate. It's not like a car GPS where the display and receiver are at the same spot. The drone location has to be transmitted to the receiver and then on to the phone/tablet. I've read the telemetry arriving at the controller is lagging about one half second. This can be made worse when recording 1080p video on the local device.

ps: My SC has lag, so it's probably also what the user's expectations are.

Reactions: robwas
Keep in mind the GPS position information has lag. So at 40mph I wouldn't expect the position to be 100% accurate. It's not like a car GPS where the display and receiver are at the same spot. The drone location has to be transmitted to the receiver and then on to the phone/tablet. I've read the telemetry arriving at the controller is lagging about one half second. This can be made worse when recording 1080p video on the local device.

ps: My SC has lag, so it's probably also what the user's expectations are.
True, I do leave a large buffer to account for that as well. I'm usually closer to 15 mph when filming and it can still outrun the map edges. Soon as I let off the sticks the map recenters around the drone. I'll try turning off recording locally and set a lower video resolution but I believe I already have it set to "smooth". Going to head out and try a few things since some people with the SC don't apparently have this happening.

I don't use the small map at all - it is virtually useless as far as I am concerned. If you are seeing the drone fly off it, I'm not surprised. The compass display is far more informative. The full screen map can be useful, but I've only opened it up to see how it worked. Have never needed it in actual flying. I tend to know where my drone is without resorting to finding it on a map.

I don't use the small map at all - it is virtually useless as far as I am concerned. If you are seeing the drone fly off it, I'm not surprised. The compass display is far more informative. The full screen map can be useful, but I've only opened it up to see how it worked. Have never needed it in actual flying. I tend to know where my drone is without resorting to finding it on a map.
Yeah, it's not a matter of knowing where my drone is, I'm always aware of that but more being aware of what's directly under it when it's say 1000' away from me. Very hard to know this without using a map or pointing the camera downward. I can easily see my drone but knowing if a car, person, house or something is below it can be challenging and often the map can really help assist in that determination. It's never a problem in rural areas but I live in the tri state area and like to take video near populated areas but never want to be directly over something that could be dangerous should my drone suddenly fall out of the sky. Here's an example, I wanted to fly an orbit manually with these towers but say over the residential neighborhood and not wind up having my drone over any busy roads. I need to use the screen to create the proper camera movements while also being aware of my drone visually by looking back and forth between the screen and drone. Making the map full screen wouldn't be an option but the small icon if it kept up could easily alert me when I'm getting close to areas I don't want to be over. If you limit yourself to very rural open areas I can see this never being problematic.

Attachments

• 243245281_10224666634246448_6962081483095185249_n.jpg
    243245281_10224666634246448_6962081483095185249_n.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 13
Yeah, it's not a matter of knowing where my drone is, I'm always aware of that but more being aware of what's directly under it when it's say 1000' away from me. Very hard to know this without using a map or pointing the camera downward. I can easily see my drone but knowing if a car, person, house or something is below it can be challenging and often the map can really help assist in that determination. It's never a problem in rural areas but I live in the tri state area and like to take video near populated areas but never want to be directly over something that could be dangerous should my drone suddenly fall out of the sky. Here's an example, I wanted to fly an orbit manually with these towers but say over the residential neighborhood and not wind up having my drone over any busy roads. I need to use the screen to create the proper camera movements while also being aware of my drone visually by looking back and forth between the screen and drone. Making the map full screen wouldn't be an option but the small icon if it kept up could easily alert me when I'm getting close to areas I don't want to be over. If you limit yourself to very rural open areas I can see this never being problematic.
Not trying to obstruct what you want to do - but the very nature of what you are describing sort of breaks the VLOS rules. You should be able to see the drone and any safety issues line of sight. If you are resorting to aides to see what the drone is actually doing, well, that is not VLOS. It's also why the rules say you must have a spotter in direct communications with the pilot for those times the pilot can't see what's happening around the drone.

Another approach is to have a separate tablet handy that has a map of the area open so you can see what's in the vicinity, or even a paper map. But, if you can't visually see what's under the drone, well, it still isn't VLOS.

You might be better served using apps like Litchi or DroneView or whatever its called. There is another IOS app that seems even better, but alas is IOS only. With these, you can program a set of waypoints and camera actions, allowing you to concentrate on the visual aspects of monitoring the surroundings and flying the drone safely.

I fly over both rural and cities and never use the map view for what purpose you state. Like RTH - I only use map view for orientation of the drone and when I need to bring it home in a most direct way. Like getting low on battery level.

When I'm flying in a congested area, the camera view provides most of the info I need to determine whether I am over people or other things I want to be aware of. Not sure how map view does that - as it does not recognize people, buildings, or much of anything really. Not a fan of compass view either, but it does help for quick checks on orientation as well.

It does take time and flying hours to get used to flying a drone and being safe. Yet, to me - becoming dependent on things like RTH, map view, etc is not flying the drone. They ALL do have a good purpose, so don't get me wrong - yet making them part of every flight doesn't help to enhance your skills. Again - simply MY OPINE!

I was flying my Mavic Pro one day and the Cable that feeds the Controller from the Phone went out, my Video portion of the Screen went out but not the Small Map! That’s how I got it back!

• Wow
Reactions: robwas
I was flying my Mavic Pro one day and the Cable that feeds the Controller from the Phone went out, my Video portion of the Screen went out but not the Small Map! That’s how I got it back!
Makes no sense - the drone would stop showing up on the map when the cable is disconnected. RTH on the controller would be the quickest way to bring the drone back.

There is a tab on the top right of the Map Screen. It has a - or + symbol. If it is a - symbol then the drone will fly out of view on the map screen. If It's a + symbol the drone and home point will all stay inside the map screen. Just touch the little tab in the right upper corner of the map screen to change the symbol between - or +.

There is a tab on the top right of the Map Screen. It has a - or + symbol. If it is a - symbol then the drone will fly out of view on the map screen. If It's a + symbol the drone and home point will all stay inside the map screen. Just touch the little tab in the right upper corner of the map screen to change the symbol between - or +.
If you get a chance, grab a screenshot and post. So many of these quirks are not in the manuals.

ps: just tried it - and yeah - I've thought the +/- just toggled full screen, but it seems to be doing something else.

Last edited:
SEE THE + SYMBOL (upper right). IF IT'S A - SYMBOL, The drone will not stay on the map. Tap it to change it to the + symbol. This is from an Air2S.
View attachment 136915
I'll have to take note of this next time I fly. It's dark out now so not a good time to test it. The thing is if I fly slow the map does follow the drone and stays centered, if I got fast and then slow down it also once again catches up and I can see my drone on the map however if I exceed about 15 mph (I recently tested it) eventually the drone position is no longer on the map, if I stop it catches it and once again I can see my drone position. I never cared much about seeing the home position and often that I don't see on the map because it's probably just too small once I'm 1000' away or so. I'll try it out tomorrow and record it with my phone or a screen recorder program if it does it with the + sign showing (which I think I have always had)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom