DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overexposed Video

rbhamilton

Reactions
Hey guys... Generally my video is very good but now and again it's totally overexposed. I had everything set to Auto. White balance, exposure, focus, everthing. I thought it looked overexposed on my cell but when I got home my fears were confirmed and the video was more or less wrecked. Really disappointing. I was thinking about updating firmware to the latest but... well... I just don't trust DJI.

It's not like it happens every time but it happens often enough. Any suggestions to avoid this in future?

boating.jpg

Right thumbwheel on the remote controller to dial down the exposure. Did you film in DLOG? If so then there may be hope to dial down the exposure and other values.

I thought it looked overexposed on my cell but when I got home my fears were confirmed and the video was more or less wrecked. Really disappointing. I was thinking about updating firmware to the latest but... well... I just don't trust DJI.
It's not like it happens every time but it happens often enough. Any suggestions to avoid this in future?
Suggestions?
Work out the cause of the overexposure and fix it.
If it was looking washed out on your screen, that should have been a big clue.
You've accidentally set your Exposure Compensation to overexpose, by two stops or more.
Dial that back to zero.

Right thumbwheel on the remote controller to dial down the exposure. Did you film in DLOG? If so then there may be hope to dial down the exposure and other values.

I'd never heard of DLOG. Just reading about it now. Also knew about the wheel to adjust exposure but it's a bit tough in bright light to even see the screen so it's tough to know for sure if it's in focus or has proper exposure. That's what AUTO is supposed to do and it sure doesn't handle some situations very well.

Anyway today I did more youtubing and found out about the exposure control on the DJI app. You can tap it, then tap the area of the photo that you want to set the exposure for. After that you are in a bit of trouble because you are switched to manual focus but so long as you remember to frequently tap the middle of the screen to focus or use the button on the back of the controller you may be OK.

That's what AUTO is supposed to do and it sure doesn't handle some situations very well.
Auto will still give you a horribly overexposed image when you have the Exposure Compensation set to overexpose whatever the normal exposure is by two stops.
Anyway today I did more youtubing and found out about the exposure control on the DJI app. You can tap it, then tap the area of the photo that you want to set the exposure for.
That won't make any difference when the Exposure Compensation is set to over-ride by two stops, your image will still be overexposed.

Last edited:
Probably the sun glare on the water at least in that scene.
Auto is as good as anything but not infallible- use the EV compensation so it looks like you expect rather than always setting to 0.0
Actually I don't think it's too bad,in video being on the bright side as shadows soon get noisy.
Even basic editing software would pull down exposure and highlights a bit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60