DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Owning it. Conspicuous outer wear to ID yourself as a UAV pilot during missions?

Ridgeback65

Reactions
Does anyone wear conspicuous outer wear, like a construction-worker day-glow orange or yellow tshirt for example, with text printed on it with something to the effect of "FAA-licensed commercial UAV (or Drone) Pilot"? Especially on commercial gigs?

If so, has it helped ward away Karens or attract them? Just wondering if "owning it" out there is better than hiding out in our cars. Probably depends on the mission at hand...

It does help. Yellow vest with FAA Commercial Pilot on the back. Orange cones for landing area. Depending where you are people will still ask what you're doing.

It depends on where you are. If you do this all the time to be honest for the most part you look like a horses ***. I do see the need at times though.

In the rare occasions I am in a situation where I need to fly in a semi crowded area or from a busy street I wear a lanyard with my 107, Trust, and Registration cards in it. I bought it from a company called GoVo and it’s a hard plastic case that can be worn around your neck or clip to a pocket or belt loop. It looks semi official and have never had a problem.

It depends on where you are. If you do this all the time to be honest for the most part you look like a horses ***. I do see the need at times though.

In the rare occasions I am in a situation where I need to fly in a semi crowded area or from a busy street I wear a lanyard with my 107, Trust, and Registration cards in it. I bought it from a company called GoVo and it’s a hard plastic case that can be worn around your neck or clip to a pocket or belt loop. It looks semi official and have never had a problem.
I don't agree you look like the south end of a horse facing north. Perhaps if you flew like that in your yard or in your house. LOL

Reactions: SoCal2S
Because...? You feel it might make us look like posers? I guess for me it could help to serve a couple of purposes. It not only ID's us as the pilot but as one who is federally licensed--perhaps adding an element of legitimacy to our presence there. Like, "hey, I'm working here so don't disturb!" The high-vis shirt could also help to provide for our personal safety if we are working near traffic/in a parking lot for example.

I guess at my age I'm not as concerned about appearances. I mean, come on, we're flying drones here. I was also a band-geek and yearbook photographer in high school so I've been living in Dorksville for quite a while.

But I'm more interested if the intended purpose of the shirt has a desirable or undesirable effect.

@Ridgeback65 i always wear my Hi Viz ,and i have found it does help people know what you are doing ,and they dont feel you are doing something suspicious
it just has the words Drone Pilot on the back of it
i find people will either just walk on by ,or they will be inquisitive about the drone ,and want to engage with you to find out more
its really something that each individual pilot makes a choice over ,depending on their own personal views ,there is one other scenario when flying in remote ares ,having the HI Viz on ,makes it easier for rescue services to locate you if you get into trouble,such as a fall, or sudden weather change ,as i take a blood thinner for health reasons ,then any sort of bleeding ,could have serious consequences

@Ridgeback65 i always wear my Hi Viz ,and i have found it does help people know what you are doing ,and they dont feel you are doing something suspicious
it just has the words Drone Pilot on the back of it
i find people will either just walk on by ,or they will be inquisitive about the drone ,and want to engage with you to find out more
its really something that each individual pilot makes a choice over ,depending on their own personal views ,there is one other scenario when flying in remote ares ,having the HI Viz on ,makes it easier for rescue services to locate you if you get into trouble,such as a fall, or sudden weather change ,as i take a blood thinner for health reasons ,then any sort of bleeding ,could have serious consequences
Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: old man mavic
Does anyone wear conspicuous outer wear, like a construction-worker day-glow orange or yellow tshirt for example, with text printed on it with something to the effect of "FAA-licensed commercial UAV (or Drone) Pilot"? Especially on commercial gigs?

If so, has it helped ward away Karens or attract them? Just wondering if "owning it" out there is better than hiding out in our cars. Probably depends on the mission at hand...
My personal preference is to be as stealthy as possible, whenever possible.

I do this for two reasons:

1) it avoids confrontations with Karens and Darrens.
2) it also avoids people from distracting you while you are flying.

I do, however think if you feel more comfortable wearing a vest and identifying as a UAS pilot, then by all means go for it.

We have already had this discussion, but years ago. I guess new members did not see it. There are two camps; (1) Official Drone Pilot with all the IDs and neon vests, or (2) Stealth piloting. The discussion will not be solved here. As I have mentioned in the past, you can purchase neon vests on Amazon with all sorts of wording on it.

For my own reasons, as I have laid out several times, I prefer the stealth path.

Dale
Miami

We have already had this discussion, but years ago. I guess new members did not see it. There are two camps; (1) Official Drone Pilot with all the IDs and neon vests, or (2) Stealth piloting. The discussion will not be solved here. As I have mentioned in the past, you can purchase neon vests on Amazon with all sorts of wording on it.

For my own reasons, as I have laid out several times, I prefer the stealth path.

Dale
Miami
Thanks Dale, I did a quick forum search and didn’t find this topic. Not looking to “solve” anything but simply share experiences on what has worked for folks (or hasn’t worked) and why.

I don't wear a vest but I'm very open about it. If I'm in the lot, everyone can see me. People don't like drones without operators nearby is my opinion. In 4 years not a single issue, including with police which probably stopped by 10 times. My son is a police officer so after 30 seconds about the drone we talk about where my son works for the next 10 minutes

Yes it does

Reactions: Ridgeback65
I don't wear a vest, but do wear an orange hat by Glowear and an orange landing pad.

Although I hand launch / land most of the times, the orange hat and pad are nice to see from the drones point of view on a RTH.

Home sweet home. 😊

When on a job I always wear a yellow safety vest and put up a portable yellow sign that shows there’s a drone operation in progress. I also have magnetic signs for each front door of my car (can be removed in seconds when not required). I believe that being so visible has a positive affect on most people because it indicates you are operating legally.

Like others have said, it depends on where I'm flying. A majority of the time, I'm out in the country flying and don't have a need. Sometimes if I'm doing a car shot from the side of the road, I might wear it just so other drivers can see me and not run me over. I will also wear it in the city near businesses or urban residential areas just so the neighbors don't think I'm spying on them.

I have on two occasions and it definitely helped and actually people were nice as I was flying near a busy roadway it helped them being aware. This might be a stretch but thought also of getting a hard hat :) .

Attachments

• 3C79B5D3-37EB-41F1-8E41-5579E4899962.jpeg
    3C79B5D3-37EB-41F1-8E41-5579E4899962.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
The FAA sells a neck lanyard which holds both your Part 107 license and your drone registration and is clearly marked to show you’re licensed pilot.

I find this very helpful. People seem to respond to you entirely differently when you’re wearing it - makes you look official and I guess it eliminates the assumption you’re some weirdo spying on the neighbors.

Plus, your license is readily at hand. I wear it all the time when I’m flying.

Attachments

• 9616981C-AB85-469A-88B3-195AF57FD164.jpeg
    9616981C-AB85-469A-88B3-195AF57FD164.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots