DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

P3S as a training quad while I wait for the Mavic?

Anton Chigurh

Reactions
I've been flying small, indoor drones for a while now, and while I'm waiting for my Mavic I am considering getting a less expensive quadcopter for practice/training for me and my kids (they won't be flying the Mavic). Someone in my area has a brand new in box P3S on Craigslist for $400, so I can probably pick it up for about $350. Would this be a good way to go?

Absolutely. I've owned nearly every dji drone and I can say that at every stage they've been amazing and cutting edge. Only advice would be if you can maybe afford a p3a instead of standard get it. The standard runs on wifi whereas the advanced uses lightbridge. Much stronger signal.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

VOTE TRUMP!!

Reactions: Advexure
Absolutely. I've owned nearly every dji drone and I can say that at every stage they've been amazing and cutting edge. Only advice would be if you can maybe afford a p3a instead of standard get it. The standard runs on wifi whereas the advanced uses lightbridge. Much stronger signal.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

VOTE TRUMP!!

Second that on a P3A over a P3S. Would be a lot more similar to a Mavic and way more reliable with LB rather than ad-hoc WiFi

I've been flying small, indoor drones for a while now, and while I'm waiting for my Mavic I am considering getting a less expensive quadcopter for practice/training for me and my kids (they won't be flying the Mavic). Someone in my area has a brand new in box P3S on Craigslist for $400, so I can probably pick it up for about $350. Would this be a good way to go?

I would get this for $100 brand new. It is a pure manual flying experience and it can do acrobatics.

LaTrax Alias: Quad Rotor Helicopter, Ready-To-Fly with 2.4GHz radio system, 650mAh LiPo battery, and single USB-powered charger. | LaTrax

Someone in my area has a brand new in box P3S on Craigslist for $400, so I can probably pick it up for about $350. Would this be a good way to go?
As others mentioned above, the P3A is a better aircraft. However, if you're going to get rid of the P3S after you get the Mavic, then the P3S is probably the smarter buy. The P3S and P3A both fly the same, so you'll be able to get a feel for how the Mavic will fly no matter which aircraft you go with.

The P3S is awesome & especially useful as a Litchi aircraft.

Reactions: kennedye
To update this thread, Best Buy now has the P3S for $379. I think this is too good to pass up. At this price, once I get my Mavic I'll use the P3A to teach my kids to fly.

just my opinion here - I started with the P3S, then P3Pro, and now Mavic. I completely agree that you should practice A LOT before going out on long or more risky flights. That being said - I think that buying one just for practice may be overkill. I would recommend that you get the Mavic - fly in an open field. And then fly often - each time going out just a tad further than before. Within 8-10 flights, you will start to feel really comfortable with it. Just remember to always do your preflight preps. Also - while not exclusive - a lot of people that crash their drones due so because they feel they need to fly 5 feet from the ground or zip around trees, etc. Keep it high (I would suggest around 200 feet initially). That way - if something does happen - at least you have more time to correct things.

Reactions: jcpkkmw

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa