DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Painful Video

Chaosrider

Reactions
I was inspired to start droning by the drone we have on Mars, Ingenuity. My first drone was a Snaptain S5C, that I flew for the first time on 30Apr21. It was tossed down the canyon by the Demon Wind on 28May21. RIP, Ingy.

I've put together a clip with all the interesting clips from the Ingy period, using a generous definition of interesting. It's just a little over 8 minutes long. I mercifully deleted the hours of endlessly repetitive footage of me pointing in the same direction, just trying to keep it stable in the wind. Looking at it now, I'm almost surprised I stuck with it.

The jerkiness and marginal video is likely to be painful to anyone who's always flown DJI drones...but if you like drone crash videos, from the drone's point of view, you might find it slightly entertaining.

:)

TCS

I have always ( last 8 months) flown DJI drones...your video looks like I was the one who taught you how to fly and record...no worse than my first ones with a Phantom...and I have not really gotten a lot better...but if you are enjoying it...that is what it is all about

I was inspired to start droning by the drone we have on Mars, Ingenuity. My first drone was a Snaptain S5C, that I flew for the first time on 30Apr21. It was tossed down the canyon by the Demon Wind on 28May21. RIP, Ingy.

I've put together a clip with all the interesting clips from the Ingy period, using a generous definition of interesting. It's just a little over 8 minutes long. I mercifully deleted the hours of endlessly repetitive footage of me pointing in the same direction, just trying to keep it stable in the wind. Looking at it now, I'm almost surprised I stuck with it.

The jerkiness and marginal video is likely to be painful to anyone who's always flown DJI drones...but if you like drone crash videos, from the drone's point of view, you might find it slightly entertaining.

I agree - PAINFUL TO WATCH! Get a DJI ASAP!

Wow, you are a brave sole to fly in the house.
Glad you stuck with it.
I had videos like that with my first drone too, a HS HolyStone.
Well done sir.

That was a fun vid! Before I got my mavic 2, I had a few drones like that, like the ones at Walmart, I still like to play with them from time to time, I'll never forget when I had my vivitar Phoenix about 400ft in the air and a motor burnt out and I had to watch it tumble through the air and smash the ground lol

Reactions: 4006448
I have always ( last 8 months) flown DJI drones...your video looks like I was the one who taught you how to fly and record...no worse than my first ones with a Phantom...and I have not really gotten a lot better...but if you are enjoying it...that is what it is all about
Yes indeed!

My June highlights will be much better, but I'll still be editing out a lot of footage of the drone just hovering while I figure out what to do next!

I've ordered a new computer, based roughly on the specs I got here, and that will make the editing both much faster, and higher quality.

It won't be long before I'll be able to start shooting mountain snow footage.

TCS

Wow, you are a brave sole to fly in the house.
Glad you stuck with it.
I had videos like that with my first drone too, a HS HolyStone.
Well done sir.
Thank you sir!

Not as brave as it might seem. The Snaptain was extremely light, and had very effective prop guards. That's the only reason it survived my training as long as it did!

I won't be flying the Mini-2s in the house anytime soon...

;-)

TCS

TCS
Looks like you tried to save money but ended up only wasting money. Spend the money to buy a GOOD drone and you will be blown away. Believe me, it will be money well spent.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Looks like you tried to save money but ended up only wasting money. Spend the money to buy a GOOD drone and you will be blown away. Believe me, it will be money well spent.
Actually, that's not at all what happened.

I had never flown a drone. For my first one, I wanted to get a drone that was cheap enough that if I didn't like it, or broke it, it wouldn't be a big deal financially. The only "luxury" thing I wanted was a camera, which the S5C had.

It turned out that I did like it, I didn't break it, but I lost it to the wind. I was and remain *completely* satisfied with that training experience!

Ingy was lost on 28May21. On 7Jun21, I made my first Mini-2 flight, and never looked back!

TCS

Thank you so much for this video. It made me relive my early flights but with much more "vigor". <G> I haven't laughed so hard in many a day. I used two wads of tissues wiping the tears from my eyes and my dog left the room thinking I was having a seizure. My wife came into the office to see if I was alright and I couldn't tell her why I was laughing so hard. There are so many of us that have had these same kind of days and your compilation was perfection. Well done! Enjoy your future flights. You will do most well. It can only get better. <G>

Reactions: Brandaloo

TCS
WOW! 8 or 9 crashes in a matter of minutes. That drone IS very forgiving and must be built like a tank. Not sure why you were doing all the low flying however. Above the tree line where there are no obstacles would probably be prudent especially while learning. Thanks for the video.

Learnings from your videos:
1. Lovely weather for flying where you are;
2. As a golfer, we’re told trees are 90% air - you’ve disproved that 😂
3. Your drone doesn’t fit under a Toyota 😂
4. You’re a determined person with patience.
Loved seeing someone else’s ‘learning’. Thank you for sharing.

That's a truly bogus criticism. A first time pilot pending a ton of money on a drone without knowing whether he would like it or not is a bad idea. This guy did it right ... he bought something that met his minimal requirements without busting his bank account if he later decided he didn't want to pursue the hobby.

Thank you so much for this video. It made me relive my early flights but with much more "vigor". <G> I haven't laughed so hard in many a day. I used two wads of tissues wiping the tears from my eyes and my dog left the room thinking I was having a seizure. My wife came into the office to see if I was alright and I couldn't tell her why I was laughing so hard. There are so many of us that have had these same kind of days and your compilation was perfection. Well done! Enjoy your future flights. You will do most well. It can only get better. <G>
Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry for scaring your dog...

;-)

I'm going to try to paint a visual record of my training and growth over time. The June highlights well be with my Mini-2s. A couple of crashes, but many fewer...

Thx!

TCS

WOW! 8 or 9 crashes in a matter of minutes. That drone IS very forgiving and must be built like a tank. Not sure why you were doing all the low flying however. Above the tree line where there are no obstacles would probably be prudent especially while learning. Thanks for the video.
It's actually built more like a wisp than a tank. The prop guards are what made it durable.

I wanted to be able to fly it in a stable manner before going higher. It wasn't until a couple of weeks in that I learned that the S5C would never be stable in a wind-prone area.

But it successfully got me launched into droning!

TCS

Funny, I have been thinking about getting a cheap drone to improve my manual flying skills without risking my M2Pro. So for any criticism you might get about wasting money on a cheap drone, I think you were smart to do so.
Thank you sir! It certainly worked for me.

The first time I flew my Mini-2, I was seriously shocked...and elated...with how stable it was.

TCS

Learnings from your videos:
1. Lovely weather for flying where you are;
2. As a golfer, we’re told trees are 90% air - you’ve disproved that 😂
3. Your drone doesn’t fit under a Toyota 😂
4. You’re a determined person with patience.
Loved seeing someone else’s ‘learning’. Thank you for sharing.
Glad you liked it!

Some people don't like to reveal their early clumsiness, but I've been clumsy all my life, so it's just become natural at this point!

Part of my (slowly evolving) theory of what I want to do with my "learning" videos is to show people that even if it's awkward at first, you can get much better if you just stick with it, and push through the early clumsiness.

Now that we're talking about it, I think I need to get a bit more adventurous with my flying. I haven't crashed a drone in *months*!

;-)

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada