DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Painting the body

I have a better idea. Why not just buy a skin? Skins are just as nice looking as paint, but you can peel them off when you get tired of them, or crash. Plus, there will be no question about voiding your warranty.

Just read your reply after my response. Sounds good. Any suggestion on where to get good skins? My brother has a cutter

Reactions: Former Member
You will also destroy it's resale value, if that is a concern to you. Just buy a skin if you can find one you like - then you can change the look while also protecting the drone, and when it comes time to sell you can peel it off.

Color is a consideration as well - for example if you always fly in the desert, maybe a jet black skin won't be the best idea because it is going to make the drone even hotter.

I have a skin from Decalgirl. It is awesome. Give yourself some time to install it because there’s a lot of pieces. But the thing looks amazing. I have probably 10hrs of flight time with it on and haven’t had any issues with it yet.

Reactions: Mopar300
There is such a process called "dilac plating" specifically utilized when dunking immersion chrome plating is impossible. Currently great advances have been made (iridium, paladium, platinum, the whole gamut include greenchrome bluechrome etc). DC ampere deposits solution wand applied wet onto target surface held opposite dc polarity of wand's solution. You can see deposition each passover targeted surface by wand's solution.
Craft radiates emi which collects on skin being conductive. Navigation sensory requires transparency sensing outwards through deposition plating.
How thin is thin? How lightweight is this plating? Very very thin and very very lightweight. Irreversible or not, plating?
Plating can be reversed same dilac principle reversed.

Rather than novelty, why not stealth? Appears users desire eye sore in lieu of undetectability.

There is such a process called "dilac plating" specifically utilized when dunking immersion chrome plating is impossible. Currently great advances have been made (iridium, paladium, platinum, the whole gamut include greenchrome bluechrome etc). DC ampere deposits solution wand applied wet onto target surface held opposite dc polarity of wand's solution. You can see deposition each passover targeted surface by wand's solution.
Craft radiates emi which collects on skin being conductive. Navigation sensory requires transparency sensing outwards through deposition plating.
How thin is thin? How lightweight is this plating? Very very thin and very very lightweight. Irreversible or not, plating?
Plating can be reversed same dilac principle reversed.

Rather than novelty, why not stealth? Appears users desire eye sore in lieu of undetectability.

Is this the same process as hydro dipping? I just wanna be unique. I wish they came out in various colors

Is this the same process as hydro dipping? I just wanna be unique. I wish they came out in various colors

i am certain this seed is being thoroughly examined for $$$ since all will covet such improve, not of aesthetics, but functionality with appropriate proceed doing so.

realize dilac proceed is "surgically targeted" benefiting cross contamination avoid where deposition should not go. mask of peripheral exclude is performed so wand overstepping boundary introduces no deposition on masked boundary (perimeter, peripheral excluded)

i believe your "wash" means immersed with dc applied target, oppose dc polarity bath solution contains desired plate constituent. wash means interior gets plated too! whereas, the wand, is selective on isolate target surface.

If I were to paint the body of my Air would it void my warranty?
I would advise against painting, very strongly. I wanted to improve visibility, and bought a set of prop guards, with the intention of painting them with a bright neon red fluorescent spray. The can specifically said that it could be applied to plastics, so I was optimistic. They recommended applying a white primer for best results, which I did. Neither paint stuck to the plastic, and ran, in spite of applying multiple very light coats. Experiment failed.

Wraps are an excellent way to go too. You can buy a pre-cut set that will cover pretty much the whole drone. On the other hand, you can buy wrap on a roll (about $10), and cut pieces to cover only parts of the drone, like bands, strips or circles. You can get colored chrome wrap - bought red and blue:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJXU1BE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJXU25E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started a thread over at DJI.com that may interest you:
Good Strobe for increased visibility?
and
Here’s an idea to increase visibility
includes pictures.

Last edited:
angstrom per angstrom, the overall payloading from silicone skin is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than flyweight nitrocellulose, the legacy stuff we use to apply upon the balsa tissuepaper skin combat kittens.
modern chemistry has brought too HEAVY polyurethanes and epoxies and powder baking.
of course warranty voids, but understand the rationale why. it's because shell disassembly and reassembly afterwards is mandatory. actually aesthetics is only personal. a superior 1st surface not of aesthetics would be the type transparent from impinging radar, provided the original factory laid 1st surfacing is 1st erased from structure exterior surfaces

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50