DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Palm launching near crash - why?

luisfandre

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I am new to drone world, and have been piloting a mavic air for the past month very carefully.
As where I use the drone is sandy, today i decided to learn Palm landing and Launching after Watching some tutoriais.
Landing was very easy, however I had a bad time trying to launch it.
As I turned the motor on, i positioned it in the Palm of my hand, and accidentally angulated slightly the drone right Before takeoff. Suddenly the engine went full force, and I got scared and tryed to hold it with my case, because I thought it would fly from my hand to ground.
Result: 1 broken propeller.
I am now trying to understand what happened, as I thought the drone would only compensate inclination if it had already launched, and not only by Being motors on.
Can anyone help me understand it to prevent happening again?
Should i be worried with my engine, as it was forced against, however without any greater visible damage?

Thank you all!

you would be better off getting a take off mat its safer and then you can hand land if you feel happy doing it when you are very close to the drone the wind can have an effect on it and the props can do a lot of damage to skin and faces

Reactions: freightshaker
Powering motors on ground and then picking up is a bad idea. Instead hold in hand with motors off then auto launch from the hand.

Once the motors are on, it is effectively in flight. If it is picked up and twisted, it will try to right itself against the unknown influence. You probably would flail to right yourself if a giant picked you up and made motions that would have you think you'll fall.

Another issue about start, pick up then launch is that some calibrations are done at start and some at takeoff from "ground". Those two calibrations can oppose each other causing potential flight issues even after successfully getting in the air.

If there's a throw and go flight mode available, perhaps use that.

Thank you very much for the answers!
So if I had let it go when it accelerated, what would have been the behavior, as i had not launched it yet? Hover, land or RTH?

You know that scene in a movie when the woman drops her ring down into the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink...

As I turned the motor on, i positioned it in the Palm of my hand, and accidentally angulated slightly the drone right Before takeoff. Suddenly the engine went full force, and I got scared and tryed to hold it with my case, because I thought it would fly from my hand to ground.
I routinely launch and recover my MA in my hand.

To launch, I hold it with the MA body resting on my open palm, and fingers holding it from the sides. I touch the takeoff button on the display, and slide the slider to confirm takeoff. When the props start spinning, and I feel the drone lifting away, I just let go...that's it.
I would NOT suggest any technique that involves grabbing the MA with the props spinning!!

On landing, just keep your hand with open palm facing up, and let the MA do the work of shutting down. There is no need to grab the drone with your fingers by the sides, with the props turning - doing so actually increases the chance that you will stick your fingers into the spinning props. If you take your palm away after it has touched your hand, but before the props stop spinning, it will go back to a hover...and you can try again.

Finally, you can also buy a finger protector that clips to the drone, like this one:

Reactions: luisfandre
Hi everyone,

I am new to drone world, and have been piloting a mavic air for the past month very carefully.
As where I use the drone is sandy, today i decided to learn Palm landing and Launching after Watching some tutoriais.
Result: 1 broken propeller.
I am now trying to understand what happened, as I thought the drone would only compensate inclination if it had already launched, and not only by Being motors on.
Can anyone help me understand it to prevent happening again?
Should i be worried with my engine, as it was forced against, however without any greater visible damage?

Thank you all!

If the aircraft detects any significant motion once the motors are running the OSD_groundOrSky flag will switch from Ground to Sky and the motors will attempt to hold position. It's often seen when powering up the motors on a boat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu