DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panning/turning Mavic for slow smooth video capture - mid way stutter/pause

Grumpybeard

Reactions
Hi,

Relatively new to drone flying and the Mavic, got about 20 flights under my belt now.

Watched lot of videos on cam setup, stick sensitivty etc, so what's set up within the Go 4 app is not factory default.

Seem to be having an issue where I'll pan or turn very slowly to capture a nice landscape shot for example, and the mavic seems to stutter or pause the movement part way through, which is annoying as I'll have to reposition and reshoot again.

Happened several times, again today with perfect flying conditions - no wind.

Any ideas fellas, anyone experienced this? Possible anything with stick EXP setup, any kind of buffering?

Cheers!

Hi,

Relatively new to drone flying and the Mavic, got about 20 flights under my belt now.

Watched lot of videos on cam setup, stick sensitivty etc, so what's set up within the Go 4 app is not factory default.

Seem to be having an issue where I'll pan or turn very slowly to capture a nice landscape shot for example, and the mavic seems to stutter or pause the movement part way through, which is annoying as I'll have to reposition and reshoot again.

Happened several times, again today with perfect flying conditions - no wind.

Any ideas fellas, anyone experienced this? Possible anything with stick EXP setup, any kind of buffering?

Cheers!
Are you sure it’s not just a display buffer or a playback stutter, and it’s an actual hardware pause?

You could try a custom channel for connection rather than Auto Connection to the Remote. To see if another channel would provide near instantaneous movement and react exactly to the stick movements.

You could try slowing your break down in the sensitivity settings to around 100 to 120 and see if this works.

See 6s and again at 42s. ND8 Polar Pro filter, no wind.

Would really appreciate your help fellas, as I'm supposed to be filming my own wedding with this in two weeks :(

See 6s and again at 42s. ND8 Polar Pro filter, no wind.

Would really appreciate your help fellas, as I'm supposed to be filming my own wedding with this in two weeks :(
Something's not right about this being a hardware issue.

When it stops, there is no vibration, no jiggle from the gimbal, etc. First of all, the yaw wouldn't stop and start this abruptly. there would be some continued drift. Also, if the Mavic came to an abrupt stop like this, there would be some evidence of momentum in the gimbal on the footage.

I'm just not seeing it. Someone with a larger monitor and a better eye can chime in.

I'm still thinking it is a software/capture/render issue.

Have you personally seen the Mavic stop and start in a yaw, this abruptly, while actually watching it?

Being a newbie I initially believed the Mavic was actually stopping the turn/pan and then starting, but I believe you are right Robert - I think the Mavic is continuing it's physical motion and I'm being deceived into thinking it's not moving by the pause in video feed. There seems to be a lot of noise on the internet about "8 frames" and the 4K codec, and setting shutter speeds to 2x frame rate. Will go out testing 3/4 packs again tomorrow, perhaps play with stronger ND filters, different capture options, what you think?

Being a newbie I initially believed the Mavic was actually stopping the turn/pan and then starting, but I believe you are right Robert - I think the Mavic is continuing it's physical motion and I'm being deceived into thinking it's not moving by the pause in video feed. There seems to be a lot of noise on the internet about "8 frames" and the 4K codec, and setting shutter speeds to 2x frame rate. Will go out testing 3/4 packs again tomorrow, perhaps play with stronger ND filters, different capture options, what you think?
I've shot 4k at all frame rates, since I got it over a year ago, and have never see this.

Is your card fast enough, and what are you using to render out the footage?

Have you tried a different/better microSD card? Or for starters, reformat the card while it is IN the Mavic.

Cards are Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB Class 10. Always format in-Mavic. Stutter is seen in-flight. No tan issue with any post-processing or PC (watercooled games machine OC'd to 4.7Ghz)

Having a similar issue when doing a point of interest where the video is shuddering. I'm using a Nvidia K1 using the onboard screen recorder (normally used for game recording) See example flying over the dome

I have the same issue. Put a ND16 filter on, got the shutter way down and still same.

Quick update: After discussing with DJI support I sent mine back last week - they agreed it was not normal. Will update here once I know what's happening, or get a replacement sent and I've tested it in same conditions.

@Sparky @jbjeep just to add, as stated above, I dont have my Mavic at the moment. However I bought a P4P and was having some videi issues with that. I did play with transmission rate which resolved - I dont know if this option is available on Mavic, to adjust mbits per second (10, 8, 6, 4 etc), which might be worth looking at?

For e.g.
Mavic Image Transmission Settings

Quick update: After discussing with DJI support I sent mine back last week - they agreed it was not normal. Will update here once I know what's happening, or get a replacement sent and I've tested it in same conditions.
Sorry to resurrect a relatively old thread, but this is about the third thread (so far) I've seen where we get to the point of the OP sending back their drone and then....nothing more.

I'm seeing this issue and it's not a video freeze because you can see movement of objects continue even though the panning motion has stopped. Tried all sorts of things, and I'm waiting to hear from another pilot who is waiting for a replacement controller.

So, Grumpybeard, what happened next? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada