DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panorama Issue

bkushner

Reactions
Anyone know what is causing these issues in the M3 Panorama? This is stitched in camera and no editing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-18 000448.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-18 000448.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2022-09-18 000416.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-18 000416.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 33
If you saved the original 26 images, you should be able to easily clean it up in any panorama stitching program. The in camera stitching works well most of the time, saving lots of post editing time, but when it fails, manual stitching will usually save the the day!

Reactions: danwnz
So if you notice , the lack of Focus on these picture is really bad, and because of that , the software is likely to trip up.
This same result can happen in low light shots.

If you no your Focus is way off as your shooting than your betting off to go manual and stitch them up in lightroom,

Once i realized how easy it was to shoot Pano in manual , Storm picture Panos got a lot easier.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the storm

Anyone know what is causing these issues in the M3 Panorama? This is stitched in camera and no editing.
I rarely, if ever, use the drone generated image. Much better to assemble or stitch your frames in software.

As has been mentioned you will get better results if you stitch your panorama images in post. I mostly shoot my panos manually except when I fly in sub-zero temps and I only use the in-camera pano for review purposes on the controller (kinda like the review screen on a DSLR). I regularily use Lightroom, Photoshop, and PTGui Pro and sometimes I will process my panoramas in more than one program to see which program does a better job.

Chris

If you saved the original 26 images, you should be able to easily clean it up in any panorama stitching program. The in camera stitching works well most of the time, saving lots of post editing time, but when it fails, manual stitching will usually save the the day!
I do have the images and will try stitching.thanks

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So if you notice , the lack of Focus on these picture is really bad, and because of that , the software is likely to trip up.
This same result can happen in low light shots.

If you no your Focus is way off as your shooting than your betting off to go manual and stitch them up in lightroom,

Once i realized how easy it was to shoot Pano in manual , Storm picture Panos got a lot easier.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the storm
I'm not sure I'd know how to shoot the 26 images manually with no guide to line them up.

As has been mentioned you will get better results if you stitch your panorama images in post. I mostly shoot my panos manually except when I fly in sub-zero temps and I only use the in-camera pano for review purposes on the controller (kinda like the review screen on a DSLR). I regularily use Lightroom, Photoshop, and PTGui Pro and sometimes I will process my panoramas in more than one program to see which program does a better job.

Chris
How do you know where to place camera for 26 images?

I do have the images and will try stitching.thanks
BK
As you may know from prior forum discussions, I am still wrestling with panoramas greater than 21 images, and especially the tiny sphere which converts into a a complete 360 with mouse movements. The 21 images I can easily handle with Photoshop- (use JPG files, File>Automate>Photomerge>file>open>select all>open>highlight all>OK). But every time I try PTGui I fail. I could easily purchase it and I have looked at the You Tubes many times. It just seems daunting to me. Any suggestions? I know PTG is the best program compared to Kuula, etc. ?

Dale

I'm not sure I'd know how to shoot the 26 images manually with no guide to line them up.
Same way you'd do it with an hand-held camera. Pick an easily identifiable spot as your starting image, with the horizon low. Shoot it and pay attention to what's at the edges. Rotate left or right until you have 1/3 to 1/2 overlap and take another image. Repeat until you are back to the start. Then lower the camera and repeat the circle. Eventually shoot one straight down.

If you can't remember if you've taken a shot, take it anyway. You can always throw away redundant image, but filling in when you've missed one is tricky.

I'd also recommend at least two different exposures: one for the sky and one for the ground. I usually shoot 3-4 exposures two stops apart (depending on whether the sun is in the shot, and how much I want the clouds). I shoot each exposure set independently, but using auto-bracketed shots works as well, and that's what I do when the dynamic range isn't really big. (Really wish DJI would let use pick bigger steps for auto-bracketing.)

Many of these were shot manually (either on Mini or before I learned my Mavic 2 could save individual shots in a panorama).

PTGui Pro can automatically find and merge bracketed shots into an HDR pano.

Chris

PTGui Pro can automatically find and merge bracketed shots into an HDR pano.

Chris
True. I find I get better results exporting the separate blend planes from PTGUI and using Photomatix to generate the HDR image by tone-mapping them, but that's another piece of software to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislaf
BK
As you may know from prior forum discussions, I am still wrestling with panoramas greater than 21 images, and especially the tiny sphere which converts into a a complete 360 with mouse movements. The 21 images I can easily handle with Photoshop- (use JPG files, File>Automate>Photomerge>file>open>select all>open>highlight all>OK). But every time I try PTGui I fail. I could easily purchase it and I have looked at the You Tubes many times. It just seems daunting to me. Any suggestions? I know PTG is the best program compared to Kuula, etc. ?

Dale
I own PTGui and it is straightforward to me. I shoot panos with my M2P, DSLR and mirrorless. PTGui nails it everytime unless I screwed up the shots.

I've found that scenes with a large area of water frequently lead to alignment errors in the in-drone stitching of panoramas. The waves and ripples on the water are in motion, so they're different in adjacent photos. So, the stitching software routine has trouble making sense of what it's trying to align.

While it's relatively easy to manually align the horizon in adjacent photos, the auto function doesn't know that the horizon is important and all the large area of moving water is less important.

I've found that scenes with a large area of water frequently lead to alignment errors in the in-drone stitching of panoramas. The waves and ripples on the water are in motion, so they're different in adjacent photos. So, the stitching software routine has trouble making sense of what it's trying to align.

While it's relatively easy to manually align the horizon in adjacent photos, the auto function doesn't know that the horizon is important and all the large area of moving water is less important.
I have had the same problem - but cleaned it up in photoshop.

I have had the same problem - but cleaned it up in photoshop.
Moving the unaligned individual images in a stitching program preserves the details of the original images without cloning or healing, which may look good, but alter reality.

DJI JPG stitching is horrible. They are full of errors and blurs at the stitch line.

I use PTGui and stitch my 25 DNG.

On the Mavic 3, it's actually really good and HiRes, unless you have a problematic scene. It's as good as PTGui 75% of the time, with PTGui as a backup from the original images for the other 25%. I prefer PanoramaStudio 3 Pro, though.
Looking at both. Big price differential and the only large differences I see in reviews are the speed of PTGui and its ability to handle HDR. Are those significant enough to warrant the $79 vs $315 price tag?

Reactions: mavictk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots