DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parabolic range extender with Mavic?

mavic6611

Reactions
I am thinking of buying a parabolic range extender, and I'm wondering does anyone have any idea how effective they are with the Mavic with it using ocusync?

I think I read somewhere a test where it reduced the range. RF is normally pretty deep voodoo so unless you're putting in place a well engineered upgrade to the existing system minor tweaks like parabolic reflectors seem more likely to do harm than good.

Yes I've read extremely mixed stories going for and against also. Ill see what the majority on here say. Failing a conclusion I'll buy one and test it myself and put a post on to let everyone know my personal experience

If by "parabolic rage extender" you mean those small, plastiky things coated with shiny metal that one places behind the RC antennas, that guy from Drone Valley channel says it helps (they've measured one), for it directs most of the signal towards the aircraft. Personally, I have a set which I've got for free and put them on every time I plan to fly further than usual. Can't say I really needed them, as I try to stay in visual line of sight with my aircraft, so I think it's more for the peace of mind.

Looks like I'll have to buy one and do a test. Thanks for your input guys

Using the one from dynamic 3d solutions, I've been flying out between 14,000-15,000ft which has been the point I get the battery goes to RTH. The signal bars at that point are fluctuating a red 1 bar to 3 bars. Dynamic 3d solutions is also a sponsor here. Dynamic 3D Solutions

That's quite a good distance. Is this in an urban area or over more open land? I read they're more helpful in more urbanised areas to help signal stability

That's quite a good distance. Is this in an urban area or over more open land? I read they're more helpful in more urbanised areas to help signal stability

My main flight location is on the outskirts of the city. The flight paths I generally take are not over housing editions. They are mostly wooded with some planted fields of corn or soybean. Depending on which route I fly, dictates the altitude I have to ascend to at the 15,000ft distance. Either a house roof a block away or a wooded area to aim the signal over.

So with the WindSurfer from the mentioned sponsor, I find my limiting factor is the battery.
Below is a video of mine showing a 14-15k foot flight. The doesn't look the greatest which I found was due to the 4.0.7 ios app.I have since fixed the issue by rolling back the firmware from .600 to .550, and it is now much better.

Reactions: mavic6611
Great flight, I really liked watching that. 2.7 miles is a long way. What dashware is that youre using?

Wind surfer added at least 50% extra range to my P4. Have a set for the Mavic but can't determine if it does anything as the range of the Mavic is sensational anyway.....

Ive run into a situation where I will lose signal about 3,000 ft from the RC. The area in question is on the other side of about 100yards of a very densely wood area. Trees are about 50 ft tall in this area.

I guess I need more penetration (uh huh huh)

Reactions: knownbug
My main flight location is on the outskirts of the city. The flight paths I generally take are not over housing editions. They are mostly wooded with some planted fields of corn or soybean. Depending on which route I fly, dictates the altitude I have to ascend to at the 15,000ft distance. Either a house roof a block away or a wooded area to aim the signal over.

So with the WindSurfer from the mentioned sponsor, I find my limiting factor is the battery.
Below is a video of mine showing a 14-15k foot flight. The doesn't look the greatest which I found was due to the 4.0.7 ios app.I have since fixed the issue by rolling back the firmware from .600 to .550, and it is now much better.

Cool DashWare. Is that hard to add to your videos?

I've been using these: Amazon.com: RCstyle DJI Mavic Pro Controller Transmitter Signal Extend Aluminum Parabolic Ra...
They fold up nicely and work as well as any of the others. I have the ones from Dynamic 3D Solutions, but they were awkward to use.
The furthest I've taken them is about 16K feet out and about 1500 feet up.
Hint: If you're surrounded by trees, you need altitude to get range.
--
- - Art from the Air - -

yeah I got as high as I could get but the issue was still the same.

yeah I got as high as I could get but the issue was still the same.

Try Titan Drones' new Control antenna for the Mavic and the phantoms and inspires as well. They are circular polarized, powerful, and lightweight.
Titan Drones, Inc.

I've tried several types of range extenders with my Mavic and Spark. The net gain is minimal. During a recent range test, I went out 16,600' without the extenders and 16,900' with them...before the RTH function kicked in. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803