DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parameter Modding for MM?

scro

Reactions
Has anyone had any experience with the application available on Drone-hacks.com ?

Seemingly it allows upgrading/downgrading/custom firmware, modification of RC and aircraft parameters, increase of RC transmitter power among other things.

I am also very interested in this, mostly because they provide FCC hack that apparently does not work anymore in the old way (by faking GPS).

How does it work?
As I understood this is some custom firmware. Does it replace official DJI firmware? If it does then do we have functionality from latest official firmware?

I am also very interested in this, mostly because they provide FCC hack that apparently does not work anymore in the old way (by faking GPS).
If you want FCC mode, as long as you have an iOS device just use the modded DJI Fly app.
Although putting a CE bought Mavic Mini in FCC mode the gains are only marginal...it has different hardware to a FCC bought Mavic Mini.

If you want FCC mode, as long as you have an iOS device just use the modded DJI Fly app.
Although putting a CE bought Mavic Mini in FCC mode the gains are only marginal...it has different hardware to a FCC bought Mavic Mini.
Could you tell where to find it?
Could you tell where to find the modded app?

Has anyone had any experience with the application available on Drone-hacks.com ?

Seemingly it allows upgrading/downgrading/custom firmware, modification of RC and aircraft parameters, increase of RC transmitter power among other things.
I see there are parameters for maximum attitude tilt. I remember some speculation in another thread that allowing a greater tilt would give the Mini more forward thrust to work with when fighting the wind. Hmmm... seems worth a try.

I've had a dabble with the drone-hacks app and played around with a few parameters so far:

There are 2 parameters that affect the yaw behaviour. From firmware 0200 onward yaw movement of the drone body lagged stick input by about 0.5sec. This is due to the gimbal starting yaw movement first and then the body following, so that video is smooth in yaw. This does mean that yaw feels a bit "laggy" compared to other control inputs. There's a parameter to enable or disable gimbal preceding yaw. Disabling this means the yaw becomes a lot "snappier" at the slight detriment of video smoothness. It can be enabled/disabled exclusively for sport mode independently of P and C modes, so a good compromise can be had too.

I've also played with the max tilt parameters. On firmware 0500 the maximum allowable has been locked to max 20deg/30deg for C/P and S modes respectively. On firmware 0400 it can be set up to to 60deg (suicidal?). I've pushed it up to 40deg in sport mode and 30deg in P mode and logs show it to indeed be tilting further than stock under heavy acceleration/braking. I've yet to test if RTH will use more tilt or not. I expect that going much beyond 40deg tilt will result in altitude loss as there's not enough downwards thrust to support the drone. At 40deg tilt the motors speeds seem to keep within a sensible range. I've yet to test if the max ground speed has been increased as a result. I expect there are other parameters, or limits that controls the max ground speeds for each mode.

Last edited:
Did you get FCC hack with drone-hacks?
I've not tried yet, and I very very rarely get the opportunity to test the limits of my transmission range. If you have a CE transmitter then you can't get the FCC hack, just a "boost mode" with an unquantified increase in power. The website does explicitly state this but it is ambiguous, as another part of the site implies that you can get FCC power levels on the CE transmitter.

Could you tell us a little more about drone-hacks ?

Their website it's not very clear ;)

What is the exact procedure to follow ?

I'm owner of a CE Mini and very interested in FCC hack too

Best regards

R.

@raulmavic As stated above Drone-hacks can't enable a FCC hack on the CE version transmitter. The hardware is different. I believe the CE version can be put into a "boost" mode that gives a marginal increase in transmit power and hence a slight increase in range too. I don't expect the range increase will be as significant as using a reflector/yagi. Just guesses though, as I have not tried it!

The download is free, so why not get a copy and have a play? It seems to be as easy to use as Mavic Assistant. The complicated bit is trying to work out what the hundreds of parameters available actually do. Some are obvious but others aren't!

Reactions: raulmavic
How drone-hack works? Is that some firmware that replaces original firmware? Or it sits next to original firmware? Can it be uninstalled?

I just want to know can it harm original firmware.

Reactions: Rogan29
@raulmavic As stated above Drone-hacks can't enable a FCC hack on the CE version transmitter. The hardware is different. I believe the CE version can be put into a "boost" mode that gives a marginal increase in transmit power and hence a slight increase in range too. I don't expect the range increase will be as significant as using a reflector/yagi. Just guesses though, as I have not tried it!

The download is free, so why not get a copy and have a play? It seems to be as easy to use as Mavic Assistant. The complicated bit is trying to work out what the hundreds of parameters available actually do. Some are obvious but others aren't!

I can assure you "boost" mode multiply range by two into CE Mini. From 500mt to 1000mt at urban enviroment, 5.8Ghz band. I did it lot of times until last DJI update. After update boost mode quit working.

Unfortunatelly drone-hacks FCC-Boost is a paid feature, I can't test it :(

I would like to hear any possitive feedback before adquire it.

R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookaboorra
So there are two option to add range: "boost" (free) and FCC-bost (paid)?

It would be interesting to test and compare both.

@raulmavic Perhaps the CE Boost mode that drone-hacks offers is better than I though!?
@BokiFly There seems to be only 1 option for the CE controller and 1 option for the FCC controller and both are paid-for options, from what I gather.

I'm probably not going to play with the boost option so someone else will need to take the lead there. I very rarely go for long-range flights.

edit: I see your next post (#18) reminds me why I had it in my head the D-H boost mode wasn't something to get too excited about...yet.

Last edited:
I have just read something at drone-hacks thats scares me: https://drone-hacks.com/faq

"Tests showed that boost mode on the mavic mini will currently NOT give you as much power as if you use fakeGPS before every flight, we are working hard to see if it is possible to reach the same power levels persistent without the fakeGPS trick"

Are the saying that boost mode doesn't work well?

R,

Reactions: Yuzaman
How drone-hack works? Is that some firmware that replaces original firmware? Or it sits next to original firmware? Can it be uninstalled?

I just want to know can it harm original firmware.
It works by letting you change the configurable parameters in the official DJI firmware. You don't need to upload hacked firmware, though there does seem to be an advantage to using DJI's firmware 0400 compared to 0500 (0500 locked down the limits on some parameters). I believe many of these parameters are accessible on the larger/older mavics via the Mavic Assistant app by enabling developer mode.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3