DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 for recreational pilots

Marine0302G2/8

Reactions
For a recreational pilot are there any reasons that I would need to take part 107? Does part 107 allow you to fly greater than line of sight legally? Or allow for legal use of DJI goggles for the pilot?

It puts greater restrictions on your flights. If you are not flying commercially it would only further restrict _all_ of your flights.

It doesn't really restrict your flights, it's more of trade-offs. I don't have to call airports. But there are now places I can't fly where hobbyist can if they call.

I can always not sell my footage and follow hobby rules, but not both at the same time. plus the licence gives you more of chance to not ruin the drone world for the rest of the world because you understand more rules and are less likely to break them.

It doesn't really restrict your flights, it's more of trade-offs. I don't have to call airports. But there are now places I can't fly where hobbyist can if they call.

I did not do a good job in that post. Flight restrictions are the same for hobby flight. While part 107 does create more restrictions, this is only once the flight is changed to commercial. In that a "hobby flight" cannot be commercial, with those additional restrictions comes the ability to fly. See... now it's a much worst post. :)

Part 107 does add additional restrictions but it opens up the ability to fly commercially under those additional restrictions. Everything else is the same. Part 107 does not change anything under hobby use.

I did not do a good job in that post. Flight restrictions are the same for hobby flight. While part 107 does create more restrictions, this is only once the flight is changed to commercial. In that a "hobby flight" cannot be commercial, with those additional restrictions comes the ability to fly. See... now it's a much worst post. :)

Part 107 does add additional restrictions but it opens up the ability to fly commercially under those additional restrictions. Everything else is the same. Part 107 does not change anything under hobby use.

I would still consider it a trade off. In my hometown, I don't have to call anyone to fly, where hobbyist have to call the 20 or so airports/helipads that are all in class g airspace. However when I'm in Houston, there's a few more places I can't fly (25% of the city is Class B airspace), but hobbyists have to notify the 100 plus airports/helibapds no matter where they are in the city (due to the massive amounts of airports)

I would still consider it a trade off. In my hometown, I don't have to call anyone to fly, where hobbyist have to call the 20 or so airports/helipads that are all in class g airspace.

If you are not flying under Part 107 (hobby flight) you do need to call. If you are flying under Part 107 then your flight _is_ more restrictive.

If you are not flying under Part 107 (hobby flight) you do need to call. If you are flying under Part 107 then your flight _is_ more restrictive.

I don't think you are understanding, I never said hobbyists don't have to call airports, I do not know where you got that information from as i never said that in any post. (other than saying part 107 flights do not have to call)

But when I fly 107 (I am licensed), I do not have to call any airport if I'm in class G airspace, but all the hobbyist must call the 20 airports.

Therefore I say its a trade off, sometimes you are more restricted depending on where you fly. if you're not near a major city, it's much easier to fly with part 107 as you do not have to call anyone were hobbyist have to call a ton of people.

If you fly near class C or class B airspace, then it would seem to be more restrictive.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22