DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 lost link return to home question

Mavic_Ward

Reactions
I'm studying for my Part 107 test right now. Something that just came up was a lost link procedure that would bring the bird back home but they want you to do it in a way that avoids flight over populated areas. As in people.

The return to home feature on the Mavic or other drones doesn't permit a predefined route back home, does it? It's just a straight line back to the set home point, right?

Thanks

Unless I am mistaken you are correct MW .

I guess you must keep the Mavic in a position that always provides a clear route directly between the sUAS and its home point that will not over fly people??
Good luck with that.

Reactions: GhostRider
The rule states that you shall not operate over people. If RTH is activated automatically due to loss of control, my interpretation is that you are no longer "operating" the aircraft; it is operating autonomously. Further, it is operating in the best interests of safety; returning to the point of origin to (presumably) safe conditions.

The FAA is almost entirely focused on safety in the NAS. You should plan your flight so that RTH wouldn't overfly people intentionally, but you can't prevent everything that someone might do. If you were to have an incident, the FAA is going to ask, "How did you address this risk?". You want to have a good answer; perhaps something like this:

"The flight path was designed to avoid overflight of people and was found to be clear of individuals both before and during controlled flight, however, during the return-to-home sequence caused by a failure of the control link, an individual in an area not part of the planned flight path but in the direct-to-home path chosen by the aircraft was inadvertently overflown."

Emergencies happen, and the FAA knows this. If you were able to fly in an area entirely closed off to non-participants and eliminate the possibility of anyone being able to get under the aircraft at all, no matter what, sure - that would be great. But real life doesn't happen that way.

What did you do to MINIMIZE - not ELIMINATE risk?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61