DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 mission within non LANC system Airport boundaries

Captain Zipper

Reactions
I'd like to get a couple pics of a lot, two miles from an airport. Ceiling on airmaps says 400' in this area. But it is in red since this airport is not yet under the LAANC system.
How might I get approval?
Only need 75 to 100' of height.

Thanks,

Dana

I'd like to get a couple pics of a lot, two miles from an airport. Ceiling on airmaps says 400' in this area. But it is in red since this airport is not yet under the LAANC system.
How might I get approval?
Only need 75 to 100' of height.

Thanks,

Dana

You'll need to submit a request via:

Any idea on the turnaround time on a request like this?

I've had some turn around in 3-5 days, and some turn around in 14 days (that one was for non-LAANC under a 300' Class D ceiling for Luke Air Force Base, though - and it's my understanding that coordination with military air traffic control *always* takes more time and scrutiny to achieve.)

If you’re going to fly there or in that airspace again, might as well just get a CoA for it.

If you’re going to fly there or in that airspace again, might as well just get a CoA for it.

That's what I did for the Luke airspace - I didn't want to have to do it again.

My CoA there is good for two years. I just have to call a particular extension at the phone number for KLUF ATC (which is on the CoA!) at least 24 hours prior.

Thanks for all the help. I submitted my waiver, application was very straightforward. I'd be close to final approach for a runway, but I'd also be using a spotter for other aircraft. So we'll see.

Thanks for helping me out with my learning curve. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks Big A,
Any idea on the turnaround time on a request like this?

Dana

I've had them approved in <24 hours, but it often depends on what you are asking for. From your later reply it seems like you want to fly close to an active runway, so they might scrutinize your application more.

For those of you working within airport areas often, do you buy NAV/COM handheld radios to listen in on air traffic, or not bother?

For those of you working within airport areas often, do you buy NAV/COM handheld radios to listen in on air traffic, or not bother?

We have Comms but for transparency we had them before so it's not a clear answer to your question. Just be sure to LISTEN ONLY if you use one.

Thanks for all the help. I submitted my waiver, application was very straightforward. I'd be close to final approach for a runway, but I'd also be using a spotter for other aircraft. So we'll see.

Thanks for helping me out with my learning curve. I truly appreciate it.
My guess is that you applied for authorization, not a “waiver” which has a special meaning with the FAA.

We have Comms but for transparency we had them before so it's not a clear answer to your question. Just be sure to LISTEN ONLY if you use one.
When I applied for my COA for Class D airspace, I said that if I had a flyaway I would call the tower ASAP by cell phone or handheld aviation transceiver which I normally carry. I specifically asked them to tell me if there was something wrong with that procedure and they didn’t comment. But in the case of a flyaway in controlled airspace, I want to let people know and if I have to deal with the FCC later on, so be it. (I had to get an FCC license when I started pilot training in the late 60’s but I can’t imagine that it’s still valid.)

Reactions: BigAl07
Looking at my app online, I did indeed request airspace authorization.

Thumbswayup Glad you caught that. I wasn't going to comment...last time I did it just went all south and not what I intended.

So I received approval for my flight. I was surprised I got approval actually, considering my nearness to final approach.

Yesterday I did a trial flight at a nearby LAANC Airport. I updated my Mavic Pro Platinum with the 3 day unlock, I had approval with LAANC, and I flew using Airmap. Problem being I wasn't flying in GPS mode in airmap. And the app didn't show all the screen features that the DJI app shows. Did I put in incorrect settings somewhere? I'm disappointed as this app worked flawlessly last year.
??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Any thoughts from you pros out there?

Much appreciated.

So I received approval for my flight. I was surprised I got approval actually, considering my nearness to final approach.

Yesterday I did a trial flight at a nearby LAANC Airport. I updated my Mavic Pro Platinum with the 3 day unlock, I had approval with LAANC, and I flew using Airmap. Problem being I wasn't flying in GPS mode in airmap. And the app didn't show all the screen features that the DJI app shows. Did I put in incorrect settings somewhere? I'm disappointed as this app worked flawlessly last year.
??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Any thoughts from you pros out there?

Much appreciated.

I don't recommend actually flying the drone with Airmap due to the lack of features compared to DJI's app. Just get the LAANC approval in Airmap and then switch back to DJI's app for the actual flying portion.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just to clarify, I did have 17 satellites and was in gps, but unlike when using DJI app, in the upper left of screen it just said good to fly, or something to that effect, as opposed to saying GPS.

One thing I like about flying with Airmap is that it tells me when I'm about to fly outside of my LAANC authorized flight boundaries.

Non LAANC flights I always fly with DJI app.

And while I have you. Since I have the 3 day unlock on my drone, and I was approved for authorization to fly within boundaries of a non-LAANC airfield, I should have no problem getting drone to launch when I get there, should I? LOL, it's an hour drive to location and I'd rather not be ?.

And while I have you. Since I have the 3 day unlock on my drone, and I was approved for authorization to fly within boundaries of a non-LAANC airfield, I should have no problem getting drone to launch when I get there, should I? LOL, it's an hour drive to location and I'd rather not be ?.

Should be fine. Even if the 3 day unlock on the drone expires, you can usually get it to unlock in the field by just trying to start the motors and checking the boxes that show on the authorization pop-up in the DJI app. (you need data for that though)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin