DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Question

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is probably an easy-answer question…I registered my Air2 when I was flying as a recreational pilot but now that I have my Part 107, do I need to re-register it in another category? I just want to stay 100% legal. Thanks.

Yes, re-register under the 107 dashboard on your Drone Zone account. You'll get an FA number specific to that drone. Remove the old sticker showing your recreational number.

You can fly your 107 registered drone under recreational rules. But not the other way.

Why is that necessary? There is nothing that delineates whether a registration is Recreational or 107 that I can see on the registration... Maybe if you have multiple drones under Recreational and you go to 107 later, I could see that. But if I only have one drone and get my 107, it will show up under the Part 107 dashboard when you create the 107 account. Any subsequent drones from there will require a new registration, fee and number.

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll take care of it

Why is that necessary? There is nothing that delineates whether a registration is Recreational or 107 that I can see on the registration...
There is most definitely a delineation. The FAA's Drone Zone has two separate registration portals. For recreational drones, you register yourself as a recreational flyer and get a single registration number which you put on all of your drones. For 107, each drone is registered individually.
Maybe if you have multiple drones under Recreational and you go to 107 later, I could see that. But if I only have one drone and get my 107, it will show up under the Part 107 dashboard when you create the 107 account. Any subsequent drones from there will require a new registration, fee and number.
That's not how it works. Your Remote Pilot registration number does not go on your drone. That is only for you. Again, you have to register every drone flown under 107.

Do I need to delete my recreational number before getting my 107 number?
No, keep it. That way if you get any additional recreational drones, you can just use that number. Just take it off of the drone you are registering under 107.

There is most definitely a delineation. The FAA's Drone Zone has two separate registration portals. For recreational drones, you register yourself as a recreational flyer and get a single registration number which you put on all of your drones. For 107, each drone is registered individually.

That's not how it works. Your Remote Pilot registration number does not go on your drone. That is only for you. Again, you have to register every drone flown under 107.
I never said anything about the RPIC number and you are missing what I am saying. Show me one place where on the registration it says whether it is Recreational or 107. I am not talking about which dashboard you log into.
I buy a drone, create a recreational account and register, spend $5. Some time later I get my 107 (and certificate number) and convert my recreational account to 107 in DroneZone. Now I have a 107 account and one drone under it with the same number, free. I get a new drone, and register it. $5 and a new number. I get another drone and register it. $5 and another number. $15 spent. This is exactly what I did last year. You can disagree but I actually did it.

I never said anything about the RPIC number and you are missing what I am saying. Show me one place where on the registration it says whether it is Recreational or 107. I am not talking about which dashboard you log into.
I buy a drone, create a recreational account and register, spend $5. Some time later I get my 107 (and certificate number) and convert my recreational account to 107 in DroneZone. Now I have a 107 account and one drone under it with the same number, free. I get a new drone, and register it. $5 and a new number. I get another drone and register it. $5 and another number. $15 spent. This is exactly what I did last year. You can disagree but I actually did it.
So you now have 3 drones that can be flown recreationly. And two that can be flown commercially.

I don't have my 107, but it is my belief that your recreational certificate just has your name and your registration number. I further believe that the commercial registration has your name, the registration number, the manufacturer, the model, and the serial number. This makes it pretty easy to differentiate between the two.

No you're seeing it wrong. When you log into the FAA Drone Zone there are two entirely different sections. One for Hobby/Recreation and one for Commercial/Part 107.

Legally speaking you can NOT fly a Recreationally Registered Drone for anything other than Hobby/Recreation. Any aircraft only carrying Recreational registration # is only allowed to fly recreationally.

A drone registered under the Part 107 of the FAA Drone Zone portal can be flown for Part 107 or Recreational operations.

Looking at a Registration # you can't tell a difference but the Database will absolutely show which one it is if an incident or inspection takes place.

If you fly a "hobby" registered drone under Part 107 you are NOT Part 107 Compliant. It's that simple :)

So you now have 3 drones that can be flown recreationly. And two that can be flown commercially.

I don't have my 107, but it is my belief that your recreational certificate just has your name and your registration number. I further believe that the commercial registration has your name, the registration number, the manufacturer, the model, and the serial number. This makes it pretty easy to differentiate between the two.
And you are wrong, but thanks for trying. They all have the same information.

No you're seeing it wrong. When you log into the FAA Drone Zone there are two entirely different sections. One for Hobby/Recreation and one for Commercial/Part 107.

Legally speaking you can NOT fly a Recreationally Registered Drone for anything other than Hobby/Recreation. Any aircraft only carrying Recreational registration # is only allowed to fly recreationally.

A drone registered under the Part 107 of the FAA Drone Zone portal can be flown for Part 107 or Recreational operations.

Looking at a Registration # you can't tell a difference but the Database will absolutely show which one it is if an incident or inspection takes place.

If you fly a "hobby" registered drone under Part 107 you are NOT Part 107 Compliant. It's that simple :)
I'm trying to figure out why you guys are struggling so hard with this.... I ONLY log into the Part 107 Dashboard. ONLY. When I am in the Part 107 dashboard, I see ALL 3 DRONES.

Take what I said above and look at this screenshot... Tell me what you see. The date for my 107 is 6/30/21.

Attachments

• Demo.jpg
    Demo.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 34
I definitely could be wrong. I was just going by what I've seen that says a recreational certificate looks like this:
1646268034327.png
And that the Part 107 looks like this:
1646267944424.png

Reactions: BigAl07
Well I'll tell you that I've never seen the top certificate. All mine look like the lower one.
Maybe I somehow managed to register mine as a 107 even though I was recreational, for the first one. I don't know. If so I apologize for the confusion.

Luck me I guess. Saved $5.

FWIW, the newer 107 reg's add UAS before the Manufacturer and Model.

I believe the top one is your personal FAA registration for recreational flying. Every drone used under this certificate at the same number. It expires after 2 years.
The bottom one is the registration certificate for a drone linked to your FAA 107 license; you will have different one for each drone.
When you go register 107 license registrations just remove the previous personal certificate number from the drone and stick the new one on. Then just allow the personal certificate to expire. That's what I did.

I'm trying to figure out why you guys are struggling so hard with this.... I ONLY log into the Part 107 Dashboard. ONLY. When I am in the Part 107 dashboard, I see ALL 3 DRONES.

Take what I said above and look at this screenshot... Tell me what you see. The date for my 107 is 6/30/21.

Struggling with? Listen, I provide support for struggling UAS operators confused about this almost daily as an FAA Safety Team Representative. I can assure you I have a very clear understanding of the FAA UAS Registration processes

The fact of the matter is you have registered (by mistake but it's perfectly legal) under Part 107. Just because you made that mistake you're not seeing the Hobby side of the portal.

Here's what it looks when you first log in
Screenshot_1.jpg

So as you can see there is a profound delineation between recreational registration and Part 107 registration and the fact is you gave wrong advice and then tried to back it up even when people who actually know what they are talking about are trying to explain it to you and the OP.

If you aren't 100% sure about what you're talking about it's best to not go about giving wrong advice especially when it's something that could affect them deeply.

Struggling with? Listen, I provide support for struggling UAS operators confused about this almost daily as an FAA Safety Team Representative. I can assure you I have a very clear understanding of the FAA UAS Registration processes

The fact of the matter is you have registered (by mistake but it's perfectly legal) under Part 107. Just because you made that mistake you're not seeing the Hobby side of the portal.

Here's what it looks when you first log in
View attachment 144773

So as you can see there is a profound delineation between recreational registration and Part 107 registration and the fact is you gave wrong advice and then tried to back it up even when people who actually know what they are talking about are trying to explain it to you and the OP.

If you aren't 100% sure about what you're talking about it's best to not go about giving wrong advice especially when it's something that could affect them deeply.

I'm sure you are going to sleep good tonight knowing how you saved the world from rogue registrations. Thank you for what you do.

I'm sure you are going to sleep good tonight knowing how you saved the world from rogue registrations. Thank you for what you do.

I slept very well indeed but only because I knew I had corrected some blatantly incorrect information being given out as seemingly knowledgeable information.

It's my pleasure :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22