DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Registration / Licensing

AC1DFOX

Reactions
For those who have completed their FAA Part 107 UAS registration, how difficult is the exam? I have studied the FAA Summary sheet located at https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf.

However, I have looked up a number of online study guides for the exam, and they have CRAZY crap on there like how to check windspeeds at JFK and wanting me to be able to read coded ATC messages (https://3dr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/main2.png) and interpret them. I felt Like I was looking at an exam for a commercial passenger liner license. Do I really need to learn this level of depth in order to get my Pilot Certification for my Mavic 2 Pro? I just want to be properly licensed to fly as a hobbyist (and eventually for commercial real estate photography) later.

Attachments

• main2.png
    main2.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 19
I feel your pain. I am ,also studying for my 107 and , unfortunatly they do require you to know a lot of stuff that does nopt apply to someone flying a sUAV at 400 feet or less.
It hurts your head. I did find a really good free study guide and i will pass it on to you as soonas I can figure out where I put it.
Do a search and find "Free FAA 107 study guide, ansewers and explinations". It's a good program.

Those aren’t coded ATC messages. They are just weather and a question about where to find notams.

The weather just takes a bit of study. The notams question is pretty straight forward.

Here’s a good link for metars and tafs-

Reactions: Gindra
The bottom line is . . . like everyone is telling you, if you don’t study these and many more areas, you are certain to fail. You DO need to know how to read the weather and in absence of published data, 1800 .....

I believe his name is Tony Northrop. His YouTube video is the praise of many. There are lots of resources available for free use, and there are some the require payment. You can complete successful study at home in front of your computer for free and successfully passed the Remote Pilot Test.
There is a reason why all those areas, you may question, are on the test. I wish you the best in your studies.

For those who have completed their FAA Part 107 UAS registration, how difficult is the exam? I have studied the FAA Summary sheet located at https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf.

However, I have looked up a number of online study guides for the exam, and they have CRAZY crap on there like how to check windspeeds at JFK and wanting me to be able to read coded ATC messages (https://3dr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/main2.png) and interpret them. I felt Like I was looking at an exam for a commercial passenger liner license. Do I really need to learn this level of depth in order to get my Pilot Certification for my Mavic 2 Pro? I just want to be properly licensed to fly as a hobbyist (and eventually for commercial real estate photography) later.
Did you download the actual FAA Official Study Guide? Everything you should know is in there. If you are wondering if the test is hard or not I would say NOT - - if you study. It will take 20 minutes to complete if you know the material and that includes checking over your answers for 5 minutes. Don't get overwhelmed or hung up on what you think is 'crazy' stuff to study. There are reasons for it. You're getting an Airmen Certification which allows you to fly a UAV that may weigh up to 54.9999 lbs. in national airspace.

Reactions: sdold
It's easy...if you know the answers :).

Seriously, the exam requires you to know "stuff" that only individuals planning on share the airspace with manned aircraft would need to know so a lot of the stuff is going to be new for someone that has never been involved in sharing the national airspace. Based on what I've heard the most difficult part will be learning how to interpret sectional charts followed by aviation weather reports and airspace regulations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143