DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 sanity check

pedz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I found the Title 14, Chapter I, Subchapter F, Part 107 page on the FAA web site and it produced a 25 page PDF -- which is far less than I expected. I figured it would be hundreds if not thousands of pages. I assume if I read it and comprehended it, I could pass the exam.

Or... I could take a course. I see that Pilot Institute has a lot of supports here on the site and I've read a lot of positive reasons to go that route.

And this site has a couple of links to other courses. All of them seem roughly the same price range. Given what I've seen so far, the Pilot Institute seems most likely the best option.

There is a small squabble on this site about being able to learn all this on your own via FAA documents and free YouTube videos.

In my case, I've vaguely toyed with drones since 2015 starting with an Inspire 1. I now have a Mavic 3 Cine. Eyeing the new Avata -- that looks super fun. Recently retired and I do a lot of photography with vague hopes of making a small income from it. Mostly I don't want to get harassed by Uncle Sam.

So... mostly this post is just to verify that all of the above is "correct" (give or take) and I'm not totally off the rails.

Pilot Institute has a great training program. I used UAV Ground School and they give you a lifetime membership which helps when you need to renew.

Good luck!

I found the Title 14, Chapter I, Subchapter F, Part 107 page on the FAA web site and it produced a 25 page PDF -- which is far less than I expected. I figured it would be hundreds if not thousands of pages. I assume if I read it and comprehended it, I could pass the exam…
Reading Pt. 107 is not enough, it does not at all completely cover the exam content. It does not include several subject areas that the FAA cribbed from conventional pilot training, regulation and best practices. What’s NOT covered in reading Pt. 107 includes (at least):
Aviation Weather
Weather Hazards
Radio communications
Airport Operations
Hazardous Attitudes
Loading and Density Altitude
Emergency Operations

(that’s off the top of my head, there may be more! If I recall there are 11 subject areas, and regulations is only one of them! FAA has a list…)
…There is a small squabble on this site about being able to learn all this on your own via FAA documents and free YouTube videos...
There’s not much squabble, in my opinion. Some people will be adequately prepared reading through free resources and watching video clips.

Some won’t rest until they’ve taken multiple practice tests multiple times.

Some will really appreciate that Pilot Institute or UAV Ground School have brought all the resources together and created a set of learning experiences.

People are different. People’s best learning styles and modes are different.

Whatever learning path you decide is best for you:
Make sure that it includes the April 2021 updates to Night Flying, Operations Over People, and Operations Over Vehicles.

Last edited:
I found the Title 14, Chapter I, Subchapter F, Part 107 page on the FAA web site and it produced a 25 page PDF - I assume if I read it and comprehended it, I could pass the exam.

Not a chance unless you already hold a rating or have already begun studying. ;) For instance when you read the full code, you should get to a point (for instance) where you can comprehend what it says, but not know how to determine if you're in compliance. For example: The following should bring up a lot of questions that you can't possibly know from just reading the code.

§ 107.41 Operation in certain airspace.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

No squabbles really about a right path - self-taught - or paid course, just preferred methods according to individuals' needs and desires.

Not a chance unless you already hold a rating or have already begun studying. ;) For instance when you read the full code, you should get to a point (for instance) where you can comprehend what it says, but not know how to determine if you're in compliance. For example: The following should bring up a lot of questions that you can't possibly know from just reading the code.

§ 107.41 Operation in certain airspace.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

No squabbles really about a right path - self-taught - or paid course, just preferred methods according to individuals' needs and desires.
A great example; the law is the tip of the iceberg.

Add to the list of exam subject areas:
Airspace
Aeronautical Charts

That document you found is misleading. As you read through it, you will find it links to other documents, which was disconcerting to find out :)

I watched free videos online, read through the FAA material, and took a bunch of practice tests and was able to pass on my first try. I took 2 weeks to study spending about 2 hours per day.

I didn't take any Pilot Institute courses, but I've been impressed with some of the videos I've come across.

Reactions: TridentFlyer
I was previously a sailplane pilot, so I had some understanding of the hazards and principles of flight, but was clueless on reading sectional charts and reading METARs. I tried to learn this from the published materials, but it was a challenge. I opted for the Pilot Institute course which made learning all of this easy and fun. Besides, I learned more than was needed to just pass the exam. I went to the exam feeling confident and aced it thanks to Greg’s course.

I found the Title 14, Chapter I, Subchapter F, Part 107 page on the FAA web site and it produced a 25 page PDF -- which is far less than I expected. I figured it would be hundreds if not thousands of pages. I assume if I read it and comprehended it, I could pass the exam.

Or... I could take a course. I see that Pilot Institute has a lot of supports here on the site and I've read a lot of positive reasons to go that route.

And this site has a couple of links to other courses. All of them seem roughly the same price range. Given what I've seen so far, the Pilot Institute seems most likely the best option.

There is a small squabble on this site about being able to learn all this on your own via FAA documents and free YouTube videos.

In my case, I've vaguely toyed with drones since 2015 starting with an Inspire 1. I now have a Mavic 3 Cine. Eyeing the new Avata -- that looks super fun. Recently retired and I do a lot of photography with vague hopes of making a small income from it. Mostly I don't want to get harassed by Uncle Sam.

So... mostly this post is just to verify that all of the above is "correct" (give or take) and I'm not totally off the rails.
I'm sure it's possible to learn what you need to know just by reading the regs and watching vids...but why would you want to do that?

If you just take the Pilot Institute course, you can just stop worrying about it. You'll pass.

I took the "cheater" route to get my 107; I got my BFR in regular fixed wing airplanes, so I was then current. If you're a current fixed wing pilot, the 107 process is a total cake walk.

As it turned out, I took the PI Part 107 course after I already had my 107, just for the deeper knowledge. It served that purpose very well indeed.

Good luck!

I will say
I will say, passing and mastering are two different things. a 70 is a passing grade, but it does not note mastery of the subjct.
I will say, taking an expensive course does not make you a master and I scored a 97. However the O.P. chooses to prep for the exam, I wish him luck!

I'm sure it's possible to learn what you need to know just by reading the regs and watching vids...but why would you want to do that?

If it were just 'possible' to pass by self-studying, I don't think I would have made it. ;)

At the time I began studying for my initial, there were a few paid courses but they were much more expensive than now. Also, the great thing about taking the initial is that; unlike a college exam - there is no set test date.

When I started to delve into the material it looked daunting at first but I decided I wanted to learn everything to the point that it was second nature. I didn't want to pass, I wanted to know. I wanted to score a perfect score and even told my wife the same. Over the next two months she kept asking when I was going to take my test and I said 'when I'm ready'. I would note that she has a photography business and had aerial jobs waiting.

So two months after downloading all the PDF's and practice tests I walked out of a little building and sat in my car and texted a simple photo to my wife (see below). I have taken the initial 107 test, two recurrent 107 tests and even the TRUST test and have so far only missed one (1) question.

I am 100% sure that the paid courses are legit and worth the price paid but; the material and means to learn and retain everything you need to be a proficient 107 can be downloaded and studied for free and yield the same or better results. I feel if I could do it, anyone can - if you try. It's up to the individual to decide which way he or she goes, and how serious they are about learning.

Passed.jpg

A lot depends on YOUR learning style. I have almost zero patience to sit in front of a video, so I went the self study route but with a specific approach. While it may be a different learning style than others, I know that I have a small amount of knowledge already, especially having downloaded the FAA guide and glanced through it. IMO, at least for me, the key was IDENTIFYING WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW, THEN FINDING THAT SECTION SOMEWHERE AND STUDYING THAT PORTION.

The way I did that was from the multiple FREE pre-tests that are out there. I'd take a test, find out where I felt short, then looked at multiple sources for the specific segments I wanted to study, took notes (usually copy/paste into a word doc for future reference and study). After that I'd take a another pre-test and do the same until my scores of the pre tests were in an area that I knew I had enough "overhead points" if the random real test were to throw me some curve balls... and it did. Many of the various pre-tests will throw the same questions at you, many extremely mundane and even vague, but require a specific answer. That is a clue that the test will almost always have those stupid questions requring the exact specific answers that you ran into on the pre-tests. Those are "gimme" points because you won't have to think about it, but laugh at the alternate answers, especialy because the alternates make as much sense as the answer the test is looking for.

I was lucky and had an FAA contractors facility near me that only charged me $90 to take the test which was my total cost of study and test. It might be important to note that I took my time studying, perhaps because at the time appointments were booked out several weeks in advance. If you're in a hurry, then perhaps Pilot Institute or another course might be more beneficial. It's all an individual thing. I just thought that I'd share my approach which, for me, proved to be successful.

This prep course/video by Tony Northrup is highly underrated and it is FREE. I watched it, took some notes, studied the materials a little and passed on my first try.

FREE Drone Certification Study Guide: FAA Part 107 sUAS Test​

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair