DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 still confused

mb9162

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’m still confused with the whole process and want to be correct. I only fly recreationally. I’ve got three drones. Two sub 250(nano+/mini 3 pro) and an Air 2S. All have strobes, that puts two over the 250 gram limit. I’ve passed my Trust test and have a certificate of achievement Part 107 (online). They are registered also.
My question is, am I now able to fly at night, over crowds, cars etc? I keep reading that I need a Part 107 license also. That’s where my confusion come in.
Appreciate the help. Im sure I’m not the only one confused with the issue.
=

Welcome to the forum!

Per the FAA... Part 107 Waiver | Federal Aviation Administration

Within this document, it states that "Drone pilots operating under Part 107 may fly at night, over people and moving vehicles without a waiver as long as they meet the requirements defined in the rule."

These are non-waiver privileges granted to holders of 107 pilot certificates, along with the ability to fly and monetize commercial operations. Non-107 pilots require waivers.

I hope that this helps.

Reactions: redserv
I’ve passed my Trust test and have a certificate of achievement Part 107 (online). I keep reading that I need a Part 107 license also. That’s where my confusion come in.

These two things you've said don't add up. So am I correct in saying:

1] You've Taken and Passed the TRUST for recreational flyers
2] You've taken the online (recurrent) 107 test and passed

Okay so then it begs the question, have you ever taken the 107 "initial" test? This is the one that cost 150.00 or more and requires you to go to an FAA approved testing center to take it, AND you have a 107 certificate/card?

If you've not taken, the "initial" 107 FAA - you're not 107 certified and having passed the 107 recurrent test does not count for anything until you have passed the initial test.

Last edited:
Ty,
No I haven’t paid any money. I was on an FAA website yesterday and it took me to an exam Certificate of Achievement Parts 107 Small Uas Recurrent. So, I took it and received a certificate with course number, date, and certificate number.

Okay so then it begs the question, have you ever taken the 107 "initial" test? This is the one that cost 150.00 or more and requires you to go to an FAA approved testing center to take it, AND you have a 107 certificate/card?

If you've not taken, the "initial" 107 FAA - you're not 107 certified and having passed the 107 recurrent test does not count for anything until you have passed the initial test.
True. My test last summer was $175.

Ty,
No I haven’t paid any money. I was on an FAA website yesterday and it took me to an exam Certificate of Achievement Parts 107 Small Uas Recurrent. So, I took it and received a certificate with course number, date, and certificate number.
That would not be valid without an initial 107 exam at an FAA-approved in-person center, at a fee of about $175.

Unless you already have a private pilot's license, you need to do some studying and pass the Part 107 test. And that test does cost money $175, AFAIK.

Reactions: jeff Voigt
Ty,

Now I am real curious. How did you find, take and pass the 107 recurrent test in one day with no training? Do you hold other ratings? Also when you say "I was on (an) FAA website" - there is only one FAA website. Do you have a link to the website you were at?

The reason I ask is not to probe what you did, I just want to make sure there is not a bogus site out there claiming to be "official"

I only fly recreationally.
My question is, am I now able to fly at night, over crowds, cars etc?
Per the FAA... Part 107 Waiver | Federal Aviation Administration

Within this document, it states that "Drone pilots operating under Part 107 may fly at night, over people and moving vehicles without a waiver as long as they meet the requirements defined in the rule."

So as to cut the confusion @mb9162

The document posted by @rickmurray1989 is not the only document one needs to read, to understand what is required to fly over crowds. When you see the phrase on that page that states: "Drone pilots operating under Part 107 may fly at night, over people and moving vehicles without a waiver as long as they meet the requirements defined in the rule."

The "rule" being: The OOP (Operations Over People) rule. It was enacted in January of 2021 and replaces the previous need to apply for a waiver to fly over people. However, when you read "the rule" (I linked to it above), it should be clear that:

1] You MUST be 107 certified and the aircraft you fly; MUST fit into one (1) of four (4) categories. Those requirements are clearly laid out in the link and just to "cut to the chase", currently our drones do not qualify to fly in any category in Operations over people, cars, crowds, etc..

Simply put. No you can't fly over people.

For more discussion on the OOP rule HERE is a post discussing the Categories

So as to cut the confusion @mb9162

The document posted by @rickmurray1989 is not the only document one needs to read, to understand what is required to fly over crowds. When you see the phrase on that page that states: "Drone pilots operating under Part 107 may fly at night, over people and moving vehicles without a waiver as long as they meet the requirements defined in the rule."

The "rule" being: The OOP (Operations Over People) rule. It was enacted in January of 2021 and replaces the previous need to apply for a waiver to fly over people. However, when you read "the rule" (I linked to it above), it should be clear that:

1] You MUST be 107 certified and the aircraft you fly; MUST fit into one (1) of four (4) categories. Those requirements are clearly laid out in the link and just to "cut to the chase", currently our drones do not qualify to fly in any category in Operations over people, cars, crowds, etc..

Simply put. No you can't fly over people.

For more discussion on the OOP rule HERE is a post discussing the Categories
Agreed. That's why I posted the link.

Now I am real curious. How did you find, take and pass the 107 recurrent test in one day with no training? Do you hold other ratings? Also when you say "I was on (an) FAA website" - there is only one FAA website. Do you have a link to the website you were at?

The reason I ask is not to probe what you did, I just want to make sure there is not a bogus site out there claiming to be "official"

The Part 107 Recurrent Test includes some easy "brush up" training and IIRC it's the kind you can't fail... at the end any questions you miss you can re-submit. It's more of a REFRESHER COURSE rather than a Recurrency Test.

Hi MB9162, I'll try to make this simple as I am a simple man, AFAIK, you have a strobe so you can fly at night, rec or part 107, but you can't fly over crowds or cars unless you are part 107 and have a cat 1-4 drone, and you don't. If you really want to stay out of trouble is to know the laws and rules and for that you need your part 107 certificate, it's not that hard, if you go to the right school, I recommend (where I went, 98% 1st try) the Pilot Institute, It's not for people who just want to pass, its for those of us that want to be competent, and safe pilots. they teach you so that you understand the principles, and when you do take the test you will be confident, and If LEO or a passer by questions whether your allowed to fly here, you can say "Yes I am" and know your right! good luck and good flights!

Reactions: JoelP
Hi MB9162, I'll try to make this simple as I am a simple man, AFAIK, you have a strobe so you can fly at night, rec or part 107, but you can't fly over crowds or cars unless you are part 107 and have a cat 1-4 drone, and you don't. If you really want to stay out of trouble is to know the laws and rules and for that you need your part 107 certificate, it's not that hard, if you go to the right school, I recommend (where I went, 98% 1st try) the Pilot Institute, It's not for people who just want to pass, its for those of us that want to be competent, and safe pilots. they teach you so that you understand the principles, and when you do take the test you will be confident, and If LEO or a passer by questions whether your allowed to fly here, you can say "Yes I am" and know your right! good luck and good flights!

The Part 107 Recurrent Test includes some easy "brush up" training and IIRC it's the kind you can't fail... at the end any questions you miss you can re-submit. It's more of a REFRESHER COURSE rather than a Recurrency Tes

I agree, it is pretty simple, but I was trying to find out how he was even able to take the test. If I remember correctly when you sign up to take the test you have to create an account that requires your FTN and Remote Pilot Certificate number - neither of which does the OP have because he never took the Initial Knowledge exam. So I was trying to figure out if he in fact, actually took the real recurrent or not.

Reactions: maggior and jimlips

As far as the 107 online. If you are a current FAA pilot you can do your 107 online. Example: I’m a lighter than air free balloon (Hotair airborne heater) so I only had to do my 107 online. I’m not sure if he is an existing pilot or not!

I agree, it is pretty simple, but I was trying to find out how he was even able to take the test. If I remember correctly when you sign up to take the test you have to create an account that requires your FTN and Remote Pilot Certificate number - neither of which does the OP have because he never took the Initial Knowledge exam. So I was trying to figure out if he in fact, actually took the real recurrent or not.
Yeah it doesn't make sense that he was able/allowed to take the test without the Part 107 Certificate number.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent