DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Test: new material is on the test!

WahooBadger

Reactions
In a fine example of poor timing, I scheduled my Part 107 test for April 8, well before the new protocols on ops over people and night ops are to go into effect, but two days AFTER material on those protocols began to be tested. I had done a bit of study on those and there were only a couple vaguely worded questions, I passed with a 92. What really surprised me, though, was that there was a RID question - I thought I had read somewhere that RID was not going to be tested this soon. In any case, those planning to test any time soon, take a look at RID in addition to ops over people/night ops.

While I had used a variety of study guides and taken a lot of practice tests using the $5 Prepware app on my phone, the test was still more challenging than I anticipated. Questions on familiar topics were worded differently, some questions had not been explicitly addressed in the practice tests, etc. Echoing advice I got on this forum and other places, I was able to dope out some of those by eliminating the answers I knew to be incorrect.

Does anyone know if there any way to find out exactly what you missed on on your test? The printout shows the knowledge areas where errors occurred, but not the actual question missed. I did a cursory search of the forums and did not find anything that answered that question.

Thanks to all who maintain and contribute to these forums, I always find an item or two of interest in the daily message, and have learned a lot over the several months I've been flying the amazing 2 Zoom

Does anyone know if there any way to find out exactly what you missed on on your test? The printout shows the knowledge areas where errors occurred, but not the actual question missed. I did a cursory search of the forums and did not find anything that answered that question.
They intentionally keep the exact question wording secret. When you take your test, you agree to the terms which say you won't reveal any of the wording of the questions.

They want future students to study the concepts, instead of memorizing specific answers to specific questions. So they won't reveal more info about the questions you missed beyond what you already got. Sorry.

Congratulations on passing the test with a very good score that demonstrates that you went to the effort of solidly learning the material!

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
They intentionally keep the exact question wording secret. When you take your test, you agree to the terms which say you won't reveal any of the wording of the questions.

They want future students to study the concepts, instead of memorizing specific answers to specific questions. So they won't reveal more info about the questions you missed beyond what you already got. Sorry.

Congratulations on passing the test with a very good score that demonstrates that you went to the effort of solidly learning the material!
Thanks for the reply - that's about what I figured, and really the way it should be.

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
In a fine example of poor timing, I scheduled my Part 107 test for April 8, well before the new protocols on ops over people and night ops are to go into effect, but two days AFTER material on those protocols began to be tested. I had done a bit of study on those and there were only a couple vaguely worded questions, I passed with a 92. What really surprised me, though, was that there was a RID question - I thought I had read somewhere that RID was not going to be tested this soon. In any case, those planning to test any time soon, take a look at RID in addition to ops over people/night ops.

While I had used a variety of study guides and taken a lot of practice tests using the $5 Prepware app on my phone, the test was still more challenging than I anticipated. Questions on familiar topics were worded differently, some questions had not been explicitly addressed in the practice tests, etc. Echoing advice I got on this forum and other places, I was able to dope out some of those by eliminating the answers I knew to be incorrect.

Thanks to all who maintain and contribute to these forums, I always find an item or two of interest in the daily message, and have learned a lot over the several months I've been flying the amazing 2 Zoom
Where did you find the information on the changes? All of the FCC study guide links I can find take you to 2016 version. Any links to the newer version or updated information would be great. Thanks

Where did you find the information on the changes? All of the FCC study guide links I can find take you to 2016 version. Any links to the newer version or updated information would be great. Thanks
A post somewhere on this forum not long ago led me to this page on FAA website:
At the bottom of the article is a link to the four page PDF file that is the Executive Summary of the new rules. I read this article and saved the PDF. I knew the answers to a lot of questions they COULD have asked, but the one or two that they DID ask may have been the questions I got wrong.

A post somewhere on this forum not long ago led me to this page on FAA website:
At the bottom of the article is a link to the four page PDF file that is the Executive Summary of the new rules. I read this article and saved the PDF. I knew the answers to a lot of questions they COULD have asked, but the one or two that they DID ask may have been the questions I got wrong.
Thanks much, I must have missed that post.

I took the test yesterday, and passed with a score of 78. I was very disappointed, because I had studied for weeks, watched tons of videos on the subject and took a dozen practice tests, on which I consistently scored from 93 to 96 percent.
I did not find one question that was worded the same as any on my practice tests. I did find many of the questions to be vague, confusing and several with grammatical errors and double-negatives. I wish I had asked following the test to see which answers I got wrong. That way if I decided to take the test again, I would not make the same mistakes.
I thought the test was weighed heavily on sectional maps, but did not include any of the map questions I had studied. Yes, there were several questions that included an obviously wrong answer, so you had a 50-50 chance of picking the right one.
I think all of the material I studied will help make me a better remote pilot in command, but the test won't.
Edit: Unexpected by me (and as mentioned by a previous poster), there were several questions regarding the newly announced flying rules that were nowhere to be found in the volumes of test materials I studied.

Last edited:
I took the test yesterday, and passed with a score of 78. I was very disappointed, because I had studied for weeks, watched tons of videos on the subject and took a dozen practice tests, on which I consistently scored from 93 to 96 percent.
I did not find one question that was worded the same as any on my practice tests. I did find many of the questions to be vague, confusing and several with grammatical errors and double-negatives. I wish I had asked following the test to see which answers I got wrong. That way if I decided to take the test again, I would not make the same mistakes.
I thought the test was weighed heavily on sectional maps, but did not include any of the map questions I had studied. Yes, there were several questions that included an obviously wrong answer, so you had a 50-50 chance of picking the right one.
I think all of the material I studied will help make me a better remote pilot in command, but the test won't.
Edit: Unexpected by me (and as mentioned by a previous poster), there were several questions regarding the newly announced flying rules that were nowhere to be found in the volumes of test materials I studied.
The test is pass/fail and you passed! There’s nothing to be disappointed about in fact you should be celebrating!

• Love
Reactions: cameraz and BigAl07
I passed today with a 92% and think it was a more well rounded test than I expected. Yes there were a lot more of the newer materials on there and anyone now studying with free materials needs to take some extra time with the FAAs docs on RID, the 4 classes for ops over people and vehicles (tricky worded ones too) , night fights, etc.

Reactions: EricOwen
I took the test on April 6th and had a few questions regarding night flight, flying over people and remote ID... I passed with an 87%. I studied multiply videos on Youtube and found the test to be fairly difficult.

I passed the test today with a 90%. The test took me 28 minutes to complete. Whicks1 description of the new questions is accurate. There were indeed more than a few strangely worded questions. I may have seen only a few questions that came directly from the study material.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54