DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 - Training courses

naiku

Reactions
I've been doing a little self study for my Part 107, but want to use one of the many online courses to help make sure that I pass when the time comes. But (and I know there are threads like this, searching part 107 gives many irrelevant results though) are there any recommended courses that are better than others?

I'm leaning towards pilotinstitute.com as it's currently on sale for $150 (normally $250) and for that you get lifetime access, I believe it also covers material for when you need to renew and offers a money back guarantee. Anyone used them? Any reviews? Any other options that are as good or better?

Thanks.

I used Pilot Institute for my 107 and missed only one question on the FAA exam - I felt very prepared. More than that, though, the course is thorough and the instructor is quick to respond to any questions or issues. I highly recommend them (though, of course, I can't compare them to anything else as it was the only course I took).

Reactions: naiku
I've been doing a little self study for my Part 107, but want to use one of the many online courses to help make sure that I pass when the time comes. But (and I know there are threads like this, searching part 107 gives many irrelevant results though) are there any recommended courses that are better than others?

I'm leaning towards pilotinstitute.com as it's currently on sale for $150 (normally $250) and for that you get lifetime access, I believe it also covers material for when you need to renew and offers a money back guarantee. Anyone used them? Any reviews? Any other options that are as good or better?

Thanks.
I use gold seal. Unlike other schools u get lifetime access it also includes how to get night waivers and a special course for renewal.
Super good On Tech Support you can just call the leadflight instructor any time and He will talk to you.
You definitely want to look for a lifetime access.
I actually didn’t finish the course for like two years because I bought it on sale I wasn’t really motivated to finish.

I'm also looking at Pilot Institute. I've looked at a lot of other courses (Remotepilot101, Gold Seal, Drone Launch Academy and others) but I liked Greg's teaching style the best. They have answered every question I've had about the course almost immediately. Also included is a free course about drone maneuvers. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee, test fee refund if you don't pass the FAA exam and lifetime membership. I even ordered and received my own copy of the PHAK (Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge).

And finally I like Pilot Institutes Weekly Drone updates via email.

I'll be enrolling with them shortly.

Hey guys are all these online?
I’m thinking of taking a course here
In Arkansas taught in a normal
Class room setting..
It’s one full day with instructor..
Won’t be but only 2-3 of us students..
He gives us list of prep questions too..

which would u guys suggest?
Online where I can return as many times
As possible or classroom with real
Instructor?

Hey guys are all these online?
I’m thinking of taking a course here
In Arkansas taught in a normal
Class room setting..
It’s one full day with instructor..
Won’t be but only 2-3 of us students..
He gives us list of prep questions too..

which would u guys suggest?
Online where I can return as many times
As possible or classroom with real
Instructor?
Personally I wouldn’t do that lt takeS more than a day to get the hang of sectional charts and other items on the test.
How much money does it cost?

Check out remote pilot 101 if you use discount code heron18 receive 30% discount lifetime courses including recurring courses and the courses are very well laid out. With the code it’s around 104.00 that includes both courses lifetime.

Last edited:
I never took any online prep course. In May 1998, I simply grabbed a copy of FAA-CT-8080-2H, FAA-G-8082-22, perused Rupprecht Law www (he’s a drone lawyer with a lot of great references), bought the book ASA TEST PREP 2018 REMOTE PILOT. Studied through the Remote Pilot references listed by the FAA. Downloaded actual Sectionals and charts. Studied, free material! Only thing I bought was the ASA Test Prep booklet. Watched a lot of YouTube. This all worked for me as I passed my first go. I did miss 9 on the initial, but passed. Reviewed areas to bone up! On June 2nd, 2020, I took my recurrent, put off study, went in for test, scored 93%, that’s -3 Q’s missed outta 40.
Bottomline, if a DA like me can do it, so too can you!

Helpful hint for 107s who have not tested for first recurrent yet. Try to schedule your recurrent for the 1st of the month following your initial expiration date. In the meantime, fly all the recreational flights you want, no 107 needed. By waiting till the first of the month, it just makes things a bit easier for scheduling, that’s all. After you do successfully test, make copies of the Airmen Knowledge Test Report (subsequent are NOT embossed) and keep with you. It’s a two year period regardless when you pass the test. Some questions on the RECURRENT will be identical to initial, but some are reworded with differing degrees. And, not all areas are tested on recurrent as on the initial. Bottom line, if you put forth a decent self-study program . . . .

1592149808863.jpeg

I never took any online prep course. In May 1998, I simply grabbed a copy of FAA-CT-8080-2H, FAA-G-8082-22, perused Rupprecht Law www (he’s a drone lawyer with a lot of great references), bought the book ASA TEST PREP 2018 REMOTE PILOT. Studied through the Remote Pilot references listed by the FAA. Downloaded actual Sectionals and charts. Studied, free material! Only thing I bought was the ASA Test Prep booklet. Watched a lot of YouTube. This all worked for me as I passed my first go. I did miss 9 on the initial, but passed. Reviewed areas to bone up! On June 2nd, 2020, I took my recurrent, put off study, went in for test, scored 93%, that’s -3 Q’s missed outta 40.

Helpful hint for 107s who have not tested for first recurrent yet. Try to schedule your recurrent for the 1st of the month following your initial expiration date. In the meantime, fly all the recreational flights you want, no 107 needed. By waiting till the first of the month, it just makes things a bit easier for scheduling, that’s all. After you do successfully test, make copies of the Airmen Knowledge Test Report (subsequent are NOT embossed) and keep with you. It’s a two year period regardless when you pass the test. Some questions on the RECURRENT will be identical to initial, but some are reworded with differing degrees. And, not all areas are tested on recurrent as on the initial. Bottom line, if you put forth a decent self-study program . . . .

View attachment 104700
1998??? Huh?

View attachment 104700

View attachment 104700
Agreed! I am another who simply downloaded everything from the FAA and started at square one and studied until I knew I had my head around it. However this was back in 2017 for me. ;)

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Are those the same guys that suckered me into paying $25 to register my drone?
Yes, they charge for registering your done which is how I also got signed up for the course but I will say the course in my estimation is good and I myself prefer the videos in addition to books. They explain everything very well and have a lot of additional material. Don't judge them on the done registration only. Plus, for $25, you can try it, print out the material, and then stop. I am using the drone for my business so everything is tax deductible which makes it nice. My business helps pay for my hobby including my training.

......I don't suppose there is any reference material like a drivers hand book that I can just read through? It seems the only way to learn anything about part 107 is to pay for it. At this point having only been a drone pilot for two weeks, I just want to learn as much as I can even though I am most likely going to stay recreational.

WDK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots