DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Waivers & Authorizations Question

ChuckNorrisUSAF

Reactions
For US flyers, how easy or hassle free has it been for you to request Part 107 Waivers and Authorizations to fly near or in restricted spaces? My example is this, my home is smack dab in the middle of an active airport and USAF base. The runway on the base is not active, but they have active Helo operations daily, and the local airport is a few miles off and I am not in the flight path, but still technically within 5 miles....like on the very edge. The base is within a mile.

I fly near a Joint Reserve Base (Navy) in Fort Worth, TX with an active runway. I searched for its contact info on line. After a phone call, I was referred to a Lieutenant who was in charge of airfield operations. He gave me his email address and cell number. He invited me to call or email him with distance, direction and planned altitude whenever I intended to fly in his airspace. Really easy. Also, look up contact info for your local airport. Unless it's a Class B facility, you'll find it equally easy. No part 107 needed.

Where in MT are you? I'm an old Missoula boy

Have you tried LAANC/Airmap?
Download the Airmap app. indicate that you are flying under 107 rules, pinpoint the spot you will be flying in, then check to see if instant authorization under LAANC is available

LAANC is not available at the airport I'm near - Great Falls. I guess I need to restate the question - If you have to call the Tower or rep for the airport near where you will fly, what experiences have you had that made it easier or harder to get approval to fly. I have all the apps and have seen how you request things. Just curious on personal experiences.

When I call up an airport, they usually ask for a few things: Who you are, your number, how far from the tower you're flying (in nautical miles, preferably), direction, and how high AGL. In each instance, they've asked me to call back when finished.

Even when I was flying recreationally, I still followed the altitude limits set forth in the UAS Facility Maps, available here: UAS Facility Maps

Good luck!

When I call up an airport, they usually ask for a few things: Who you are, your number, how far from the tower you're flying (in nautical miles, preferably), direction, and how high AGL. In each instance, they've asked me to call back when finished.

Even when I was flying recreationally, I still followed the altitude limits set forth in the UAS Facility Maps, available here: UAS Facility Maps

Good luck!

Thanks - that’s what I was looking for. Wanted to create a checklist or script to make it easier to run through what I need to say so I have it down so it’s quick and painless for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3