DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107

BamaBomber

Reactions
I’m thinking very seriously about taking the part 107 exam. Is there a free course that you guys would recommend? Or are the payed courses that much better?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

There are several good, free videos on YouTube as well as free tests available on the internet.

If you know absolutely nothing about NAS and/ or aviation, I'd recommend taking one of the paid courses. JMO

Lots of good free stuff. However paying for it makes most try harder to finish and pass. Got skin on the game kinda thing.
Good start.
I have been using this study guide and feel that he is really good. Maybe even someone as old as I can learn something.

Reactions: BamaBomber
I’m thinking very seriously about taking the part 107 exam. Is there a free course that you guys would recommend? Or are the payed courses that much better?
I did it for free using a multitude of sources and using the 3DR practice exam. I passed with a 90.
To do it over again, I would pay for a course. Courses are organized, and there are contacts to reach out for clarification.
I got certified to get access to LAANC. Now, LAANC is available for recreational pilots. So, unless you have confidence you can make money with the drone, there's no real point to being certified. IMO

That's not completely true. Hobbyists can't get waivers for flying above facility map height ceiling where 107 can. Often those ceilings are too restrictive than they need to be.
Example: 4 miles away from a regional airport under runway path is 0ft even though there are distribution power lines cutting across the path. Limit should be at least 100ft from 3 miles out. No plane should ever be that low that far out.

Is there a free course that you guys would recommend? Or are the payed courses that much better?
Many people have no problem passing when using the study guides listed here. You'll also find a list of commonly used paid online courses there.

I appreciate the input you guys have given. I'll probably take the advice given and lighten my hip pocket. I need every advantage available lol...

There are several good, free videos on YouTube as well as free tests available on the internet.

If you know absolutely nothing about NAS and/ or aviation, I'd recommend taking one of the paid courses. JMO
Semper Fi

Just passed my 107 last week and i used the RemotePilot101 class. Jason and the team do a great job. The class is easily the most bang for your buck at almost $100-$150 less than the other reputable schools that also have the lifetime commitment. Several times i had questions, used the online form, and they responded in no time at all. The free information is ok, but with some of the recent changes in the test delivery and the shift in not just knowing the requirements, but being able to apply them in scenario based questions, requires understanding the reqs rather than just being able to recall what they are. I also used some of the referenced free material, but the instruction with RemotePilot101 made all of the difference. I am not sponsored either, just used it and it worked! Good Luck!

I used this $19.99 course and passed with 87%.

Also purchased the $8.00 FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement which is the exact booklet used at the testing site:

Since I knew nothing about aviation or drones before I bought my MA and the company I work for bought a drone to be used for commercial purposes I signed up for a course. I signed with Gold Seal - I find the lessons interesting and easy enough to follow. Many practice quizzes and flash cards.
Have not completed the course yet nor applied to take my certification test.

I passed the test. The course material looks difficult at first, because it is information I had never seen before but once you dig into it, it's not hard. I considered paying an online source to study but just used what is available online. I read the airman study guide twice and watched the 'Better B Roll' youtube video twice. I did this all in about two weeks time period. I read the study guide, then waited a couple days, went back thru the study guide and highlighted what looked most important. I waited another couple days, watched the video, the day before the test I watched the video once again. Oh, and I also watched the Tony Northrup video on fast forward the morning before the test. I missed 8 questions on the test and got an 80%. Don't waste your money on a paid course.

I passed the test. The course material looks difficult at first, because it is information I had never seen before but once you dig into it, it's not hard. I considered paying an online source to study but just used what is available online. I read the airman study guide twice and watched the 'Better B Roll' youtube video twice. I did this all in about two weeks time period. I read the study guide, then waited a couple days, went back thru the study guide and highlighted what looked most important. I waited another couple days, watched the video, the day before the test I watched the video once again. Oh, and I also watched the Tony Northrup video on fast forward the morning before the test. I missed 8 questions on the test and got an 80%. Don't waste your money on a paid course.

Congrats on passing your test.

While I agree that many people can successfully "self study" etc I do not agree that investing in a quality online paid course is a waste of money. Some people need a bit more guidance and structure and a structured online course is $$ well spent for them. One wide paint brush does not fit everyone.

This is all great information. I am also studying for the Part 107 exam. I will look into the resources listed above. I have a side question about the exam. What is the format of the exam? all multiple choice? Paper, compter? Just wondering what to look forward to.

Thanks,
Scott

This is all great information. I am also studying for the Part 107 exam. I will look into the resources listed above. I have a side question about the exam. What is the format of the exam? all multiple choice? Paper, compter? Just wondering what to look forward to.

Thanks,
Scott
I’m still preparing to take the exam, but from what I’ve learned so far, it’s all multiple choice.

Thanks,
Scott
I took it back in October. All multiple choice on a computer, I think they were all three choices each. You get a physical booklet with the sectionals and everything, there was a cup with some writing utensils and rulers and you can request a piece of scratch paper. One thing that I didn't expect that was nice is that you can mark questions that you maybe aren't 100% on for review at the end. Found out the results immediately after, got the temporary certificate printed right there and Bob's your uncle.

I passed mine almost 2 years ago and luckily for me, I've been a lifelong aviation buff. Reading "Safety After Solo" back in the 80's gave me a leg up on things (I still have that book, I might have to break it out and read it again LOL). Most of the online resources from the FAA will do a good job at preparing you if you're a good study. I did watch Tony Northrup's video as a refresher. The training programs such as Pilot Institute are a bit more organized however. It all depends on how you learn best. Sectionals are the hardest to grasp IMO because a lot of info is crammed into a small space. Whichever way you go, good luck to you!

I signed up for an online course for the test. It is a lot of content and is organized in a way that makes it much easier to understand. I tried watching a few of the videos and doing some of the online practice tests and barely scored over 70%. So I decided a paid course was the better way to go. None of the free online practice tests include questions related to the new rules for night flight and changes that came about in April 2021. So keep that in mind.

I am quite happy that I signed up for the course. I took the test on Tuesday and it was MUCH harder than I expected. You get two hours and I used 90 minutes of that. I went through the test being very detailed in reading the questions and all responses. Double checking that I was looking at the right figures in the test supplement and answered each question. I flagged those that I didn't trust my answer 100%. I then went through the questions one more time and a final time reviewing the bookmarked questions. I scored 93%. Many of my questions were based on ADM, which I seemed to score pretty good on. A couple airspace questions tripped me up, but when you are looking at an airport in the Dallas area, it wasn't easy to figure out airspace. A magnifying glass is the best thing you can take with you to the exam.

I would say if you are wanting to truly learn and understand the regulation and be an informed pilot, take one of the courses. If you just want to cram to get the test behind you, then go for the freebie stuff out there. Remember though, you always get what you pay for. Most online courses have guarantees that if you fail the test they will pay for the cost of the test and some will even reimburse the cost of the course. So you really don't have anything to lose.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo