DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part behind gimbal broke, can I fix it myself?

dominikpro

Reactions
d6028ac08d6fb6f81e48c51071ed73c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This is a vague posting that does not contain a very precise description of what part exactly and no photo(s) of the broken part or parts. With that in mind I would absolutely say that you can fix it with some super glue, bubble, gum, and tape. Perhaps some thread made from belly button lint as well.

I see you updated your post to include a picture. Thank you. That piece is a metal tab that holds the back of the gimbal assembly in place. I have not seen that part offered by DJI as a replacement part and the part is most likely either pot metal or aluminum. It could potentially be TIG welded with a new piece added however the cost would most likely be prohibitive. The main piece would have to be removed as well to accommodate the welding process.

Perhaps a chat session with DJI reps via their website would shed some light on the part availability or the need to send in for repair. Repairs are being handled quickly from what members are reporting.

Reactions: JayBird
I see you updated your post to include a picture. Thank you. That piece is a metal tab that holds the back of the gimbal assembly in place. I have not seen that part offered by DJI as a replacement part and the part is most likely either pot metal or aluminum. It could potentially be TIG welded with a new piece added however the cost would most likely be prohibitive. The main piece would have to be removed as well to accommodate the welding process.

Perhaps a chat session with DJI reps via their website would shed some light on the part availability or the need to send in for repair. Repairs are being handled quickly from what members are reporting.

Thank you very much!

If I'm not mistaken, this looks like the piece I just broke. It hold the gimbal to the gimbal plate.

Is your gimbal lose? If so, that will cost $311 from DJI service.

Two hours @ $65
Gimbal replacement @ $181

Reactions: luisgguedes
If I'm not mistaken, this looks like the piece I just broke. It hold the gimbal to the gimbal plate.

Is your gimbal lose? If so, that will cost $311 from DJI service.

Two hours @ $65
Gimbal replacement @ $181

Correct that's what's broken. How long did it take to repair? I was wondering if I can fix it with some alternative method like superglue...

Super Glue will not work ! Dont waste your time . That piece is always experiencing some up and down resistance enabling it to hold the gimbal assembly in place . What you could try is some of the Scotch Weld Epoxy Adhesive.
3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive EC-2216 Gray, 43 mL, Scotch-Weld EC2216, 62-2216-1435-7 | Hillas.com

Or there is also JBWeld orLePage's Metal Epoxy.

Your mileage may vary using these bonding agents.

If you go this route make sure to remove both pieces to be joined and scuff up the two mating surfaces that will be bonded using some sandpaper. Then degrease with dish soap and water or some denatured alcohol.

Report back with progress. :)

$311 to have DJI seems steep and perhaps if you have the DJI refresh that would lessen the cost.

Reactions: cronkflyer
I also broke this tab today (because Murphy's law) which snapped very easily when the gimbal came loose and I was trying to put it back in place. The break looks exactly like this pic. The base of the tab can't be removed because its either riveted or welded in (seriously?). If it were removable with a clip to hold it in place, I wouldn't have broken it ;).

Luckily the piece that broke off didn't make it far so I have it. I think its plastic not metal, because a magnet won't pick it up. I'm going to try some JB weld plastic epoxy tomorrow and see if it holds... will post pics if so. I agree that super glue is not going to work. Is trying to fix this trivial little thing myself going to void DJI care? Seems pricey to send it back either way.

Last edited:
Magnets will not stick to or "attract" aluminum . Just a thought. :)

Repair it and then scrape it if needed to send to DJI. Remove the traces of the repair . To save 300 dollars it seems like a very plausible alternative.

Reactions: 604Pilot
Correct that's what's broken. How long did it take to repair? I was wondering if I can fix it with some alternative method like superglue...

It was surprisingly short. About two weeks. Sent it off on Christmas Eve and got it back on Jan 7th.

I have got the same.. however the gimbal seemed to be secured and working fine.. what could go wrong without this piece?

I am looking for someone who has a broken gimbal plate they will like to sell. I broke my gimbal plate and really jacked it up trying to repair it. I'm afraid they want accept it when I send it in for DJI Care Refresh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada