DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pass Trust question...

Mjgonzo

Reactions
Ok, so last year when I purchased my Mavic air 2 I understood that you had to register it with the FAA. No problem there, I did that, but I don't remember having to pass any kind of test if you were a recreational flyer and not doing it for business. Now I look at the website for FAA DroneZone and it seems like it's saying that not only do you have to register your Drone (I have a new Mavic 2S) but now you have to actually pass a test, TRUST, in order to fly the drone, is this correct or am I missing something?

Fairly new requirement but true, you now have to take the online course and pass the test to fly recreationally.

The trust test is easy to pass, if you get an answer wrong you can correct it. I believe the main point of it is to expose people to the rules and to hopefully have you apply them when flying.

And it’s free, and accessible online. Many have taken it administered by Pilot Institute (link). There are other administrators.

Also, rec flyers only need one drone registration. Put that same number on your new drone!

Reactions: Howard70
I want to thank everyone for their answers, this is something new I haven't heard before, so I just wanted to be sure it was correct. Thanks again.

And it’s free, and accessible online. Many have taken it administered by Pilot Institute (link). There are other administrators.

Also, rec flyers only need one drone registration. Put that same number on your new drone!
Regarding to register my new drone, that's good to know that I can use the same number as I have with my Mavic Air 2, If you don't mind me asking, since I am going to sell my Mavic Air 2, shouldn't I unregister it with the FAA before selling?

@Mjgonzo no need to unregister the drone,if you are a hobby flyer its you who are registered not the drone itself

Are international visitors also expected to do the TRUST test?
Yes. That way recreational flyers who visit the U.S. can know and understand what our rules are for hobbyist. Just print out your completion certificate and keep it with you.

Reactions: 4006448
You guys have it way easy in the USA, here in Canada I feel like I need to know how to pilot a 747 before I can operate a drone to get the Pilot Certificate which I must have at all times when operating my drone. And not free as well

although i am in the UK ,i logged on to the pilot institute on the 5th August and took my trust test ,just to compare it with our Flyer ID test we have to do in the UK
it is for the most part identical to the UK one ,both in the questions and layout
i was then able to print a copy of my certificate ,to carry with me if i was to ever go to the USA and fly a drone ,any educational material for me is a bonus ,no matter where in the world we live

The trust test is easy to pass, if you get an answer wrong you can correct it. I believe the main point of it is to expose people to the rules and to hopefully have you apply them when flying.
It took me a while to get thru the TRUST test. One page drove me crazy. A graphic with 9 numbered areas. I couldn't see #1, it blended into the background. So I didn't get the "next" arrow. Finally realized what was happening and could move on. Then when I get to registering, I'm asked if I passed the TRUST test. The process seemed happy that I passed that test. The rest was easy (except for trying to see the Mini serial number on that little sticker). :(

Ok, so last year when I purchased my Mavic air 2 I understood that you had to register it with the FAA. No problem there, I did that, but I don't remember having to pass any kind of test if you were a recreational flyer and not doing it for business. Now I look at the website for FAA DroneZone and it seems like it's saying that not only do you have to register your Drone (I have a new Mavic 2S) but now you have to actually pass a test, TRUST, in order to fly the drone, is this correct or am I missing something?

Regarding to register my new drone, that's good to know that I can use the same number as I have with my Mavic Air 2, If you don't mind me asking, since I am going to sell my Mavic Air 2, shouldn't I unregister it with the FAA before selling?
If it's flown recreationally only and you registered as a recreational pilot, the drone itself was never registered. The recreational registration is for the pilot, not the drone. The same registration applies to all aircraft operated recreationally by the pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e