DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passed the 107 yesterday

phxphotog

Reactions
I went and took my 107 test yesterday and was quite surprised at the test. I had been studying from Remotepilot101 for a couple of weeks, watched the videos a couple times and took the final test about 20 times. I could nail the test and felt I had a good grasp of all the information I would need to know. Especially since they said over and over "You WILL see this question on the test".

So first question was something I hadn't seen before, no problem. Second question came, same thing. Finally on question 5 was information I had seen in the course. By question 7 I was starting to get worried. These questions were not the information taught in the Remotepilot101 course. I kept going with the test and trying to eliminate at least one of the answers. Then I would read the question again, read the answers and try to figure out exactly what the question was asking. By about question 45 I was feeling like I could have missed at least 18 by now and would fail. I was blown away because I had paid for a course and studied alot.

Finally I got finished, went back and reread some questions I really had problems with and made sure I answered all 60 questions. Reluctantly hit the quit button and it popped up that I had answered questions incorrectly. I went and got the test monitor and he entered his password. Up popped a screen with questions that I had missed. I scanned the questions and knew those were ones I guessed at. There were only four questions on the screen and I asked if I would be able to see all the questions I got wrong. I hadn't seen anything that said I had passed so I figured I had failed. He said, "those are the questions you missed". I said, "I only missed 4"? Yup, out of 60 questions, I only got 4 wrong.

This is just a word of advice for anyone taking the 107, you will not see the same questions on the test that you have seen on the practice tests. A few questions might be similar but not the same. Don't panic, just try to eliminate one of the answers and then work through the last two. Really look at what the question is asking, they are trying to trip you up.

I had one question about latitude and longitude, one question about alcohol, very few questions about weather which surprised me. I'm not sure if the FAA is monitoring companies that do test prep but the questions on the test were not necessarily what was taught online. I felt like I was guessing at about 40% of the questions and that didn't instill confidence in me.

Bottom line, watch the videos a couple times and really get an understanding of the concepts that they are teaching.

Reactions: dirkclod
Holy Smokes! Only 4 Wrong! Thats Stellar ! Congratulations!

It is my understanding that the FAA has a large pool of questions that they randomly rotate through that tests the knowledge of the concepts. That way one could take the test one day and then take the test the very next day in the same location and the questions would be different.

I am interested in my Part 107 as well and was wondering if you would recommend Remote Pilot 101 as a training option. It sounds like thier claim that you will learn "exactly" what is on the FAA UAS Knowledge test is a bit of a far fetched claim.

Reactions: phxphotog
I used RemotePilot101 as well and got 5 wrong. I agree with the OP that the test had a lot of questions that I "hadn't seen before", but I think the course did an excellent job of preparing me (and obviously the OP) with an understanding of the concepts which is really what it is about anyway. I wanted a course that would prepare me to pass the test but, more importantly, would make me a better, more educated pilot. I thought RemotePilot101 did exactly that.

The FAA has hundreds of questions for these tests that they randomly cycle through. In addition, my test had 4 extra questions that they said were trial questions for use in later tests. They don't tell you which 4 questions these are. Since they don't release the question database, it would be impossible for any course to show you all of the questions so that you could memorize the answers. FAA wants to ensure that you understand what you're doing, not that you prepare well for tests.

In any event, I thought both the test and the course accomplished this for me.

I'm glad I went through the Remotepilot101 course and I do believe that the information I learned helped me pass the test. I just want people that are planning on using the course to know that when they say, "This question will be on the test", that it probably won't. I also want people to know going into the test to prepare for a lot of questions you haven't seen and a good amount of questions that you haven't had direct information on. I think the FAA wants you to know a wide variety of info so plan on a tough test.

Congrats, seriously. how much study was involved?

can i ask what your plans are for flying drones.
do you intend to commercial sized drones?

I probably spent just a bit over 20 hours. I watched all the videos twice and took all of the quizzes multiple times. I took the final quiz probably 20 times since it kept adding questions I hadn't seen before.

I'm a news photographer at a tv station in Phoenix, AZ. We have two phantom 4's in our inventory and looking to add more. Obviously to operate for the tv station, I need to be commercially licensed.

Congrats on the great score OP!!! Anything above a 90 is really something to be proud of :)

I took my knowledge test last week after going through the RemotePilot101 course too and can state that it's definitely worth the cost if you're someone who isn't super motivated to go through all the material on your own (most of us aren't haha) Obviously the questions aren't going to be word for word, however, there are certainly some similar ones to the practice tests that are available.

For example, when I received one about standing lenticular clouds I couldn't help but crack a smile :p Be sure you know your sectional charts in and out... Near the end of my studying I would ask random people to point to something that looked neat on the sectional and I would explain what it was / how it was used to test my knowledge. Remember the difference between MSL and AGL as it's an easy mistake to make... If you have a Class D airport at a field elevation of 1200ft with [35] reported on the sectional, what's the top of the airspace in AGL? Is it 3500ft? 2700ft? 2300ft? It might not matter when you're planning to fly at 50ft but you'd better know it for the test.

I was super excited for the weather questions and only ended up with 5 or 6, which was a bit of a bummer... Just remember that even if something ends up not being on the test it may still help you be a better, more responsible pilot.

If anyone has any questions about a concept or something they want help with feel free to message me, and I'll do my best to explain it. Part 107 is responsible for me going for my Private Pilot's License now which means learning the material at an even deeper level for that o_O

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54