DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passing the Part 107

CrossQuads

Reactions
If this is in the wrong area, please move it.

So I am in college and broke (like most young adults are). I have just enough money to take my part 107, but not enough to pay for a study guide. Now, I know some people may just say "oh just get a job" but its hard to go to an employer and say "Hi, I would like a job for about 3 weeks until I can make $100 for a study guide to help me not work here".

With that, I will ask, is a study guide necessary? I am fairly smart (on the SAT I scored around 1300 two part, but this is irrelevant to anyone who hasnt taken it in the past 4 years.) and know a fairly decent amount about this stuff already. I made a 60 on the first practice test I took without even studying.

Some of you may say "go get a 'traditional' job" or something to that effect, but thats not going to happen. Especially since I have a $1300 drone sitting beside me.

So for those of you who did pass it, should I get a study guide? I want to take my test next weekend.

Reactions: gbracer08
You can find some free FAA Part 107 study resources here. All of the classes probably took their content from many of those free resources. The classes just save you a lot of work since they are doing the research for you.

You can find some free FAA Part 107 study resources here. All of the classes probably took their content from many of those resources. The classes just save you a lot of work since they are doing the research for you.
Thats what I was thinking. I was looking at the Remote Pilot 101 course. I just dont want to waste $150 if I fail the test.

Reactions: Ken Schmidt
I've seen a lot of people recommend that course here and over at PhantomPilots.com. If I take the test, I'm definitely going to buy that course. I know I could do the research myself, but I'm all about trading money to save a lot of time.

Thats what I was thinking. I was looking at the Remote Pilot 101 course. I just dont want to waste $150 if I fail the test.

It was $99 till February 1st unfortunately!

I decided to get it in addition to the study guides, and I do have to say it was worth it. Makes understanding the vast amount of information that the bureaucratic copywright who had to cram it together much easier to understand.

Reactions: DustyVisor
It was $99 till February 1st unfortunately!

I decided to get it in addition to the study guides, and I do have to say it was worth it. Makes understanding the vast amount of information that the bureaucratic copywright who had to cram it together much easier to understand.
Is it against their Term of Service to share it? I read the Legal and didnt see anything.

Per their Terms of Service:
"You must keep your password and user name confidential and not disclose them or share them with anyone"

Reactions: CrossQuads
Per their Terms of Service:
"You must keep your password and user name confidential and not disclose them or share them with anyone"
guess thats why you dont read that while walking through walmart :D You may miss stuff.

Ramen noodles are cheap my friend, from my observation a lot of the people on this forum are engineers, pilots, former aviation people (college educated) etc. Save your cash and get the study guide when you can. It's not a race. I too was not once but twice a poor college kid but made it work, where there's a will there's a way. So while you're in Walmart skip the stuff you don't absolutely need and put some cash in a jar. Sell some books from last semester. To me the SATs and the 107 are not comparable, you need to read the info and understand it or you won't pass in my opinion.

Reactions: DustyVisor
Ramen noodles are cheap my friend, from my observation a lot of the people on this forum are engineers, pilots, former aviation people (college educated) etc. Save your cash and get the study guide when you can. It's not a race. I too was not once but twice a poor college kid but made it work, where there's a will there's a way. So while you're in Walmart skip the stuff you don't absolutely need and put some cash in a jar. Sell some books from last semester. To me the SATs and the 107 are not comparable, you need to read the info and understand it or you won't pass in my opinion.
The main reason I need to get it soon is because I have a potential client that wants me to do some work 2 weeks from today. So I need to pass next weekend.

With that, I am so stuck on the fence about whether or not to get the study guide. Their are many good long videos on Youtube that say they prepare you well for the test, just no testimonials.

Just an idea. Shoot the project for your potential client as a donation as a hobbyist. In return, have him pay for your study guide. Pass the test then charge whatever you want going forward?

Just an idea. Shoot the project for your potential client as a donation as a hobbyist. In return, have him pay for your study guide. Pass the test then charge whatever you want going forward?
My client is my school, they need all my part 107 stuff for me to even step on campus with my drone

I passed with the following, all free information:

FAA Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, downloaded for free.
Remote Pilot Study Guide, PDF downloaded free from the FAA website.
UAG sample exam, downloaded free from the FAA website.
The supplement which goes with the study guide.
A sample sectional chart. Atlanta, SEC 96, is the name of it, to study and do exercises from.

Study your charts, learn your airspace, and pay attention to the PIC responsibilities and procedures.

If you pass the sample exam, the questions are similar and the logic is the same, not what I would call "trick" questions. Usually the answers are obvious if you know the theory.

You should do fine, the pass rate is close to 90%.

Reactions: beatnik
Here's another option- the Gleim study courses are kind of the go-to standard in the world of aviation for passing the written tests. Looks like they have one now for the Pt 107 test - about $55. There are probably lots of better ways to actually learn the material, but these are tops for prepping you to take and quickly pass the test.

Drones - Gleim Aviation

Last edited:
Reactions: GravityIsRelentless
My client is my school, they need all my part 107 stuff for me to even step on campus with my drone

Well I know existing pilots can get an immediate certificate under 107 if they have their part 61 already.

Otherwise us normies won't get it until we get vetted by the TSA (aka background check). They 'anticipate' a 10 business day turnaround from the TSA.
See here, second page:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

If this is in the wrong area, please move it.

So I am in college and broke (like most young adults are). I have just enough money to take my part 107, but not enough to pay for a study guide. Now, I know some people may just say "oh just get a job" but its hard to go to an employer and say "Hi, I would like a job for about 3 weeks until I can make $100 for a study guide to help me not work here".

With that, I will ask, is a study guide necessary? I am fairly smart (on the SAT I scored around 1300 two part, but this is irrelevant to anyone who hasnt taken it in the past 4 years.) and know a fairly decent amount about this stuff already. I made a 60 on the first practice test I took without even studying.

Some of you may say "go get a 'traditional' job" or something to that effect, but thats not going to happen. Especially since I have a $1300 drone sitting beside me.

So for those of you who did pass it, should I get a study guide? I want to take my test next weekend.
I signed up for the Remote Pilot 101 course and I think it was money well spent. There is website from the FAA that have some 125 sample part 107 questions that were all covered in the Remote Pilot 101 online course. That website where the FAA Part 107 knowledge test sample questions are is at: https://3dr.com/faa/
A lot of the questions are basic common sense, but some of more detailed questions on weather, understanding TAFs, and airspace usage are where the online course helped me.

Last edited:
I signed up for the Remote Pilot 101 course and I think it was money well spent. There is website from the FAA that have some 125 sample part 107 questions that were all covered in the Remote Pilot 101 online course. That website where the FAA Part 107 knowledge test sample questions are is at: https://3dr.com/faa/https://3dr.com/faa/
A lot of the questions are basic common sense, but some of more detailed questions on weather, understanding TAFs, and airspace usage are where the online course helped me.
By the way I got 116 answers right out of 126 questions. I have not taken the part 107 test yet but I think you need a score of 70% or higher to get your part 107 certificate.

Using the Remote Pilot app, I get around 78 to 87. Should I pass? I miss the weird questions about like dew point and stuff like that.

Reactions: andrew reeves
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22