DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Patience required!

KingRat

Reactions
You must be fed up of folks like me. I have not done any proper video before and I have never flown a drone... I have never used a smart phone or anything that needs an 'app' either. It is a whole new world for me that I don't understand and most information provided expects the listener to have some idea of technology... I HAVE NONE! My mobile phone doesn't have a camera, it does phone calls and texts only. Expect loads of VERY basic questions.
Sorry!

I am looking forward to learning about it though. First of simply flying a radio controlled helicopter, and then learning to do the photography bit and hopefully move on to some video, but technology is moving faster than I can afford to keep up. I am already stumbling with my computer, I have just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, just before Christmas. I can't change again for several years. Windows will just have to lump it, they shouldn't change things so fast!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.What are you flying? You will find much support and advice here. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Wow, thanks guys. I haven't collected it yet, but I am buying a Mavic Air from a known owner. It hasn't been used much nor crashed. A red one! I now need to look around for a 'screen' to use to fly it.... I am getting very confused with what to get that will fit the arms, I don't want the weight of an additional fixture to hold a big screen device (tablet?) I also don't have the money for anything just yet. I am going to have to save for that bit, it gives me time to learn before I can fly it, but I am going to have to register and do the flying online tuition and test before end of June, so I can get my flyer's licence for here in the UK.

Half the trouble is, people expect you to know what things are and how they work... I am struggling to understand this 'App' thing you have to get and the Wi-Fi and GPS for the controller. I have been reading other peoples' questions about screen controllers too and I don't understand the terminology that is being used in the replies, simply because I have never used modern tech beyond a club forum and email. All this mobile device stuff, I have never used one!

Wow, thanks guys. I haven't collected it yet, but I am buying a Mavic Air from a known owner. It hasn't been used much nor crashed. A red one! I now need to look around for a 'screen' to use to fly it.... I am getting very confused with what to get that will fit the arms, I don't want the weight of an additional fixture to hold a big screen device (tablet?) I also don't have the money for anything just yet. I am going to have to save for that bit, it gives me time to learn before I can fly it, but I am going to have to register and do the flying online tuition and test before end of June, so I can get my flyer's licence for here in the UK.

Half the trouble is, people expect you to know what things are and how they work... I am struggling to understand this 'App' thing you have to get and the Wi-Fi and GPS for the controller. I have been reading other peoples' questions about screen controllers too and I don't understand the terminology that is being used in the replies, simply because I have never used modern tech beyond a club forum and email. All this mobile device stuff, I have never used one!
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about what you don't know, everyone here is really helpful. :)
No such thing as a daft question, and we all have to start somewhere. These things are easy to fly as long as you take your time and read the manual, or ask lots of questions. Youtube is a good place to learn too - plenty of helpful videos there.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
Recommend reading the full 60 plus page DJI manual for your drone. Only available online. Get it here:

Welcome to the forum from the woods of Maine! It is pretty simple once understand the basics. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube, FlytPath is one author, that will take you through each step, explaining from unboxing to flying to the more photography based questions. Searching this forum will answer questions specific to your drone or general questions on accessories, the members have a wealth of knowledge!

You must be fed up of folks like me. I have not done any proper video before and I have never flown a drone... I have never used a smart phone or anything that needs an 'app' either. It is a whole new world for me that I don't understand and most information provided expects the listener to have some idea of technology... I HAVE NONE! My mobile phone doesn't have a camera, it does phone calls and texts only. Expect loads of VERY basic questions.
Sorry!

I am looking forward to learning about it though. First of simply flying a radio controlled helicopter, and then learning to do the photography bit and hopefully move on to some video, but technology is moving faster than I can afford to keep up. I am already stumbling with my computer, I have just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, just before Christmas. I can't change again for several years. Windows will just have to lump it, they shouldn't change things so fast!
Welcome to the forum from the mountains of Colorado! The technology can be pretty daunting, but with time, research and hands-on experience it will all make sense. I too am new to this hobby, especially the photography part. The steep learning curve is a tough one to climb, no different than what you're experiencing with the technology side, but the rewards will be well worth it. Hang in there. Happy and safe flying!

Off early hours tomorrow to ride to the south of England to collect my drone outfit, minus flying screen!

Tonight I passed our 'exam' or test to become a drone pilot... what a farce. If I can pass 100% without having flown a drone for more than 20 minutes, but using a bit of common sense. There was one question where it was a bit ambiguous, but by reading the question carefully, it required the legal answer, not the safety answer.... anyhow, first hurdle crossed.

Welcome to the Forum! You will find a lot of great information here. Feel free to shoot us a message if you have any questions.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Welcome to the Forum! You will find a lot of great information here. Feel free to shoot us a message if you have any questions.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.
Here is one for you then...

Photo card for the Mavic Air. What should I get? Sandisc Extreme, but what sort of size. I use Compact Flash in the camera (Nikon D4s - I was a professional photographer until the accident). I only know about full frame!

Sorry!

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: old man mavic
I use Sandisk Extreme 32gb V30. Some use 64 or 128gb cards, the more gb, the higher the price. I swap out the card when I change batteries so I don’t lose any files. There is a list of DJI approved batteries on this site, search “sd card” and read the post for a good education on sd cards.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.
Here is one for you then...

Photo card for the Mavic Air. What should I get? Sandisc Extreme, but what sort of size. I use Compact Flash in the camera (Nikon D4s - I was a professional photographer until the accident). I only know about full frame!
Sandisc Extreme 32gb or 64gb should suite you just fine.

Thank you... bigger problems at the moment, in getting it to see the controller. BUT, I have fetched it back from the field where I just walked away from it last night in total despair... the screen instructions ARE WRONG.

Trying to link the controller to the helicopter, using a phone lent to me by a friend, his old one. App put on it, after a couple of hours trying I managed to work out how to open the page so I could see the flying instructions and linking instructions and soforth, never having used a swipe screen anything before... the screen instruction sequence was followed to the letter. It said to get the controller blinking the countdown... did that by following the button sequence described, then press and hold the flashing light button on the aft end of the drone UNTIL IT BEEPED TWICE.... did that, it timed out. Tried that probably 15 times.... timed out every time. These were the instructions issued by the device app itself whilst connected to the controller. Got so frustrated I turned it all of nd thought about jumping up and down on it,but refrained and walked home and had several stiff gins instead.... nerves calmed.

I managed to find a video on how to link the controller to the helicopter... the sequence was exactly the same EXCEPT press and hold the aft flashing button light until it BEEPS ONCE.... aha, that's different to what the screen instructions said. So I walked over and collected it this morning, went through it all again and held the button until it beeped ONCE... BINGO, after about 10 seconds it all found each other and the blades started spinning in ready for take off mode, sat there on the ground awaiting flight control instructions. I did a little dance, making the cows looking over the fence very quizzical at my behaviour. Turned everything off to come back, have breakfast and now start to go over how to set the settings up again - I have watched probably 20 hours of settings videos over the last week, I can't remember how you get to any of them. Flight settings first. Then I will worry about the camera settings in another few days, after I have calmed down and become orientated with how these screen devices work. I have only ever pressed physical buttons, so even the 'phone' is completely alien to me. It is a far cry from my Nokia 3100.

Thank you everybody for BEING PATIENT.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e