DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

pc upgrade for 4k editing your thoughts please!

DevonDrone

Reactions
Hi, its time for a pc upgrade to handle 4k editing can the 'tech heads' take a look at this for me and let me know if it looks ok for 4k editing? I think its ok but its a big spend and want to be sure :)

• Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3-EU Motherboard4k machine.jpg

Plus I have another 16gig ram spare here so it would be 32gig total :)

That looks like a nice setup, but it's really uncesscesary to edit in 4K. Proxy editing in adobe premiere cc is pretty incredible and allows me to edit 4K footage on my 8 year old machine just fine. Yeah it takes a little while to render the final project but it really isn't that big of a deal. I just can't justify spending the money on a new rig just to allow me to render a bit quicker...

Well im sure premiere cc is awesome but its not what i use, tbh paying a monthly sub is not for me, I like to buy my software outright and not have to explain to the Mrs what that charge is each month lol!

Last edited:
Looks good in general - but think about your hard drives - they can be a real bottleneck.

Ideally you have one SSD with your OS and the editing software on it and nothing else.

One SSD for the video files that you are using at the time - that you direct adobe to use for previews, cache etc.

One big HDD that you can use to store your completed work / stuff you are not using right now.

make sure you budget for a NAS as a back up as well.

and yeah - up the ram to 32.

Reactions: DevonDrone
Are you planning using the PC for gaming or any other 3D work? The 1080 is a fantastic gaming card for 1440p gaming but not worth the money just for video editing.

2TB seems on the small side as I wouldn't say I'm a huge video person but have 4TB just for video as I find storage space gets quickly eaten up by raw video and then more when you do a few renders. I keep all my raw video though, if you've a workflow where you bin it when done this won't be an issue.

John

I just got done building a new editing PC as well. I went with AMD this time around, but the Intel processor you have listed will get the job done no issues. I have the exact same graphics card and love it. It's expensive but worth it. If you are even thinking about using Davinci Resolve, you'll need a high end graphics card like this. Davinci uses the GPU on playback and caching video during editing. During export, it's all CPU, so the more cores the better. I didn't see the wattage of your power supply, but be sure not to under size it. Other than that, it looks like you are good to go.

Looks good but the GTX 1080 is really overkill, I'd get a used 970/1070 if warranty isn't an issue for you. These graphics cards are rock solid so I wouldn't worry about it. Also get ram with heat spreaders that'll keep them cool. Good luck

The whole thing is kinda overkill. I've got a 6 year old i5-2500K system OC'd to 4.2ghz and only 8gb ram, but it easily handles 4k video and editing. Final export might take a little bit, but nothing crazy.

Thanks all for the feedback, lots to think about :)

If you are spending this much, I would go with a Z270 motherboard instead of Z170 and Kaby Lake i7 7700k. Much better to spend a little more now on current gen than something that's already outdated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121