DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 PC upgrades for 4k video editing

lukas123

Reactions
Hello. I have a desktop computer and using adobe premier for editing my mavic air 2 videos. I find it almost impossible to edit videos with my computer as I can only preview the videos in 1/4 quality which does not allow me to edit in full detail.

I have built this computer 2-3 years ago.
Computer specs:

GPU: gtx 1060 6GB
CPU: Coffee lake, i5 8400
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard : Z370I

I am considering upgrading the CPU to I7 9700K. Would that increase the performance enough to allow me edit in Full video quality without any lags? The socket for my motherboard is LGA1151 so I do not have too many options for the CPU's.

Also, I store my videos and adobe premier in my hard drive. Does that also affects performance? Would I get better performance if I reinstall the adobe premier in my SSD?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Went through this exercise myself recently, though my aproach was to have a new PC assembled to my specs.

I agree with others here, get as much memory as you can afford. I have 32 Gb. An SSD for the OS and for the program drive will also make a huge difference.

It's not just about the memory or processor...it's about the graphics card and bus speed.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you really need to upgrade the whole PC. FWIW, I use AVIdemux to do simple edits for 4k files, but I do almost all my video capture in HD due to file size and PC capability (my PC specs are even worse than yours!)...and it's tough to tell the difference on anything but a good 4k monitor (which is also something you need).

Hello. I have a desktop computer and using adobe premier for editing my mavic air 2 videos. I find it almost impossible to edit videos with my computer as I can only preview the videos in 1/4 quality which does not allow me to edit in full detail.

Computer specs:

I am considering upgrading the CPU to I7 9700K. Would that increase the performance enough to allow me edit in Full video quality without any lags? The socket for my motherboard is LGA1151 so I do not have too many options for the CPU's.

Also, I store my videos and adobe premier in my hard drive. Does that also affects performance? Would I get better performance if I reinstall the adobe premier in my SSD?

I am not too savvy about all of those numbers but I do think upgrade to an i7 chip would be faster. I edit using 16GB, and still have to edit with proxies in Adobe Premier Pro to avoid sluggish video thumbnails. Here is my set up.

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.17.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-28 at 10.17.33 AM.png

Thanks for the responses. I will start with the RAM and see how much it affects. I have checked the task manager performance and when I run the premier, I can see that both the CPU and the Memory are above 90%

Reactions: itallica
Thanks for the responses. I will start with the RAM and see how much it affects. I have checked the task manager performance and when I run the premier, I can see that both the CPU and the Memory are above 90%
I should have added, I store all of my videos on two (2 back up) Seagate Hard drives. One is 8TB and one is 6 TB.
I don't think they would slow dowqnmy editing if I stored them on the iMAC, but I only have so much storage on my iMAC that I would just as soon store everything in the peripheral hard rives.

As a matter of form, when making a video, I assemble all of the "ASSETS" in a folder. So I have multiple sources to import into the show. My folders typically are sorted by source, such as "drone videos," drone stills, Nikon stills, Osmo Mobile videos, Osmo Action videos, Nikon timelapses, etc. They all go into the folder and named for the subject. Once I complete the show and render the video, I have the finished product on my desk top. I upload this show to wherever I want (Vimeo, You Tube, etc.). Then, when I am completely finished, I drag that Assets Folder into the two hard drives for permanent stored, thus freeing up my iMAC for storage.

Hi Lukas, I think it's the right idea to update RAM first if the usage is above 90%. If 32 GB don't solve the problem a CPU update will be the next step. I have 32 GB, a I7-9700KF CPU and a GTX 1660 and no problems running DaVinci Resolve.

For a little different perspective, perhaps revisit the choice to do 4K video at all?

I went through the same decision-making process and eventually did a few upgrades to handle the processing. However, except for some few exceptions, difficult to see the difference in most applications. Even selling short clips online, many buyers will opt to purchase the HD version even when available in 4K.

You still have the option to shoot in 4K, (perhaps retaining some image quality if crop or zoom) then process as an HD video. I generally only use 4K for short videos (under 60 seconds) which may eventually be posted for sale on "Black Box" or other sites.

Good Luck!

Reactions: CareyL and StantonZ

Computer specs:

I don't use Premier, but Lightroom 6 and it works fine on an 8+ yr old I5 2600 and a 2 GB 630 video card and on a standard hard drive.

I also have a laptop that is a AMD, 20 GB's of RAM, Windows Home 64, with an SSD. It runs Lightroom flawlessly as well when editing. Only time I have an issue with Lightroom on my laptop is when I'm trying EXPORT multiple large video's and it gets stuck in a process somewhere. Work around for me is to do large video's by themselves as a single process. I can then go to the next video and EXPORT it and have had no issues since. Yeah, it's something of a pain; but you learn what works and go with it. Also, don't think it's a PC issue either, but something in Lightroom.

Computer specs:

What OS are you running? If it's 32 bit versus 64 bit - then that is most likely your problem and if you have a newer version of Premiere. If older 32 bit OS - then you'll need to upgrade to a 64 bit version. I run Win7 on my old PC (8+ yrs old), but it's 64 bit and no issues.

Looks like you have a very good PC - great specs and all. Should work great if running 64 bit Windows. Otherwise a Premiere issue.

Computer specs:

Does anyone have any recommendations? I do use 6TB spread over 8 SSD's. Two are m.2's installed to the pcie X2 and X4 motherboard slots. These help.

I have a similar configuration to yours. I do use 6TB spread over 8 SSD's. Two are m.2's installed to the pcie X2 and X4 motherboard slots. These help but not near enough for editing other than butt-joining clips.

I have been using Premiere since version 4.0 (1995) and attended several day long Adobe Permiere "Dog n Pony" shows. At every one there would be a point where their computers choked and froze. It was an ongoing joke. In other words it will be about 5 years before you can expect consumer level hardware to catch up with the demands of todays video editing dreams.

These days I happily use Premiere Pro 2, (the last non-subscription based version), and edit in 720 X 1280 or 1080 X 1920. You might want to consider this type of alternative, then start anew "Project" with 4 k settings, import the completed Project, render and export.

By any chance do you have Western Digital backup software running in the background?

An i5 CPU is far from ideal for editing video. The most important aspects are a fast CPU, high performance GPU with the correct drivers installed, as much RAM as you can afford and an SSD for the media. Far less important is a fast drive for the OS or application. Your editing application is pulling the media from your hard drive and anything below a 7200RPM drive will struggle with anything above HD.

One of the many reasons for poor performance with Premiere Pro is using the same disk for the OS, scratch disk and media. Ideally separate drives are better but at least keep your media off the OS disk.

I stopped using PP many years ago after giving up with the Matrox RTX hardware designed to work with PP and moved to the original Final Cut Studio and Media Composer and can edit on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro at 1920x1080 but it can’t handle the H.265 codec used for 4K resolution.

I should have added, I store all of my videos on two (2 back up) Seagate Hard drives. One is 8TB and one is 6 TB.
I don't think they would slow dowqnmy editing if I stored them on the iMAC, but I only have so much storage on my iMAC that I would just as soon store everything in the peripheral hard rives.

Do you transfer the files you are working on to your iMac when editing ?
If they are on an external HD while editing that will slow things down.

Computer specs:

ok i have a similar spec i have the 1050 ti the only software i found works perfectly is filmora works a dream and is cheaper than any pc upgrades lol. try it you might be impressed ,i would hold fire until you do this. ;)
nearly forgot makes sure you have at least SSD its a lot faster for dater transfer.

[OFFICIAL] Download Wondershare Filmora Video Editor for Free (Win & Mac) |Filmora9 Free Download

I dont think I do. If I did, would I see it under the program icons list bottom right of the screen?
Right click on your start button, bottom left. Click on Task Manager; say okay to the warning. Check under the processes tab and sort by CPU consumption.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123