DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permission to fly in a National Park question.

rfc

Reactions
So here's an odd one; I need guidance.
The General Manager of a local National Park has asked me to fly and shoot video for a commercial to be aired locally to bring more locals into the park. I'd be flying under Part 107 rules. If I have written permission from them, am I allowed to fly?

The General Manager of a local National Park has asked me to fly and shoot video for a commercial to be aired locally to bring more locals into the park. I'd be flying under Part 107 rules. If I have written permission from them, am I allowed to fly?
I would be sure that they have written permission in accordance with the official policy.

You, as the pilot, would be responsible for any regulations that are not followed.

NPS UAV Policy

Authorization to fly, according to policy, comes from the Park Superintendent. I'm not sure where a "General Manager" sits in the organizational hierarchy, but probably you are good to go.

Authorization to fly, according to policy, comes from the Park Superintendent. I'm not sure where a "General Manager" sits in the organizational hierarchy, but probably you are good to go.
Good thought. I'll see if I can get a letter from the Park Superintendent if possible.Just thought about something though: Will DJI NFZ database keep me from taking off?

Last edited:
Good thought. I'll see if I can get a letter from the Park Superintendent if possible.Just thought about something though: Will DJI NFZ database keep me from taking off?

Good luck. I suspect it will be denied.

I’m not sure how far up the chain of command one need to go for such permission, but I am inclined to agree with @sar104 That if I have a request from the Park Superintendent, for the work, I’ve got nothing to worry about.
Worst case, if I understand the rules correctly you may take off outside park boundaries and fly into parks; just not take off from within the park itself .
In this case that would be no problem as I can fly from one end of the park to another in about 45 seconds. I’ve identified several suitable launch points that would allow VLOS flight to where I’d be shooting.
Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I did some reading. It sure looks like @sar104 is correct.
It's all in Policy Memorandum 14.05 (To:), that gives the Park Superintendent the authority to exercise his powers under 36 CFR 1.5 to regulate the use of UAS's in the Park. I haven't read the whole thing (doing so will give one a serious head ache), but it sure looks like if he/she can prohibit them in the first place, he/she would have the authority to make exceptions, albeit after jumping through some hoops.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143