DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PGA Tour as seen from a drone.

I don’t that was all staged and nothing news worthy. Moved to OT.

Yes it could have been staged but the violations are clearly there staged or not
No it was all staged. Don’t make something out of that that it ain’t.
Worked as a caddy with the PGA when I was younger and I know better. They would have never let a non authorized drone do such.
continue with such threads as you are and I will cut them off real quick. Those golfers would have stoped it if they hadn’t known it was coming. Don’t worry about violations there as you know nothing that wasn’t approved. Not going to argue about it just stating a fact.

No it was all staged. Don’t make something out of that that it ain’t.
Worked as a caddy with the PGA when I was younger and I know better. They would have never let a non authorized drone do such.
continue with such threads as you are and I will cut them off real quick. Those golfers would have stoped it if they hadn’t known it was coming. Don’t worry about violations there as you know nothing that wasn’t approved. Not going to argue about it just stating a fact.
Respect your opinion but I totally disagree

I saw that on a social media feed. I thought it was great flying!! After that, well edited too. You would have noticed that Rory didn’t even blink as it flew past - that doesn’t just accidentally happen.

It actually looks very much like those little micro FPV drone vids a short while ago, the bowling alley.
Jay Christiensen of Minnesota-based Rally Studios did that one, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his name on this one, very similar style.
Google finds that one easy enough if you haven't seen it . . . Ok here's a link to that and a new one he's done, quite a few if you search deeper.

Reactions: BigAl07
That was completely staged/scripted and very well done. Excellent flying and choreography through and through.

With the current regulation changes from April of this year (flights over people) it would be fairly simple to get a CineWhoop and do everything shown above LEGALLY!

@MAvic_South_Oz hit the nail on the head. It's work done exactly like we saw in the Bowling Alley and you'll probably see more and more of them just like this.

@Drone_Pilot other than "Flights over people" what other issues do you see? FOP could be easily done well within the current framework of regs using a UAS under 250g with protected rotors.

Reactions: dirkclod
That was done at the club house and all the other was on the
players practices. It wasn’t during tournament play. No gallery
and that has had 8.2 million views just on Twitter . NBC has exclusive rights to anything aired with the PGA.
Seems we had a thread on it here or PP awhile back about drones
during a tournament.
At any rate as posted it was so well done and the pilot had made that run way more than 1 time.

So after carefully reading the posts here and doing some research online I have realized that I should have fat checked the story before posting any comments in here.

I read some post on Twitter and went with that instead of fat checking the story.

I should have known better. To the pilot great job and my hat goes out to you.

We'll probably see more and more micro FPV pilots try and emulate this type of flight.
I really like these videos myself, very cleverly done.
If it wasn't Jay Christiensen himself, it was one of the many very capable FPV pilots out there.

I know from reading articles about Jays previous flights, like the bowling alley, a bar somewhere, and obviously others now, he plans the flights meticulously, every single person in the videos are in on the gig, scripted to the second (probably comms used), spotters advising people to move how scripted, etc.

He does as many takes as needed, his prime aim is to get the planned flight in one take.

The drone is probably custom built 2" or 3" prop, enclosed props (cinewhoop style have ducting protecting people from the blades), weight varies on battery used, but drone itself can be 150g to 400g / 500g (they go up to 5" props, so can be a lot more too).
Most use one of the GoPro cameras, older session 5 style through to the latest.

Scared as heck if I ever get one I will never touch the DJI drones again :/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98