DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PGYTECH PL filters for Mavic2Pro seems to be not polarizing at all =(

tranaee

Reactions
I just purchased the PGYTECH nd/pl polarizers for the Mavic 2 Pro and I am surprised to find that the filters do not rotate and I cannot adjust the angle of the filter to use it. Is it a scam? I cannot find how they rotate? or they have discovered a new theory about polarizing light without rotating?

Attachments

• pgytech1.jpg
    pgytech1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 68
  • pgytech2.jpg
    pgytech2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Are those the new and updated ones?

If they are, then I had already said it. I know somebody or some people would post threads like this complaining about the new ones. I am not surprised. It is just a normal thing to see some people who may have bought faulty products or just products that do not meet their expectations.

But make sure that is the new batch of filters. And makes sure that is the ND/Pl version. The other companies have the hybrid ND/PL filters with a round dial.

Well, all these companies seem to always make it right. i do not know how they make money anymore. I am sure they will send you new ones and you MAY even be allowed to keep the old ones

What have you done to actually test if they are polarized? I suspect they are polarized.

Polarization potential is controlled by the angle to the sun - strongest at 90 degrees, and completely eliminated at 180 degrees. Rotating the filter changes the angle relative to the sun that receives the strongest polarization. When the filter is rotated such that maximum polarization is 90 degrees perpendicular to the angle of the sun, polarization is strongest. If you keep going another 90 degrees (to 180 degrees from strongest), it will be eliminated.

Take the filters outside, put your eye up to it, and rotate the filter yourself. It should be really easy to tell if they are polarized or not in a couple of seconds.

Think of your sunglasses - obviously the lenses do not rotate but if you tilt your head the effect of polarization is extremely obvious. Polarization does not need a rotating element to work.

Also understand that using polarizers on drones effectively is difficult and extremely limiting to your flight path - they are not something you want to leave on all the time.

Take the filters outside, put your eye up to it, and rotate the filter yourself. It should be really easy to tell if they are polarized or not in a couple of seconds.

Also understand that using polarizers on drones effectively is difficult and extremely limiting to your flight path - they are not something you want to leave on all the time.
Maybe they are polarized and since they are not rotating I guess they have a fixed polarization for a 90 degrees sun. What about the other degrees. Would they perform like an nd filter or they will somehow ruin the footage?

Maybe they are polarized and since they are not rotating I guess they have a fixed polarization for a 90 degrees sun. What about the other degrees. Would they perform like an nd filter or they will somehow ruin the footage?

They will perform the same as other polarizers, the only difference is that if you are flying 90 degrees to the sun and want to reduce polarization, you can't really (assuming it's set at max which it probably is). Even if you had a rotating filter you would have to do that on the ground anyway.

On their own, they only perform like ND filters in the sense that most CPLs cut 1-2 stops of light. The ones you linked to though are NDPL's which have a set amount of ND built in. With any polarizer, not just the ones you have, if you change the angle to the sun while flying you are going to get uneven footage - it's up to you if that would ruin it or not but for most people it does when there is a dramatic change. A rotating element doesn't change this.

As I said earlier, NDPL's are not something you use like a ND filter or just leave on your drone - they would only be for specific scenarios with a well planned flight path at a predetermined angle to the sun. If you want to just fly around and not worry about as much, you want regular ND's.

Reactions: tranaee
They will perform the same as other polarizers, the only difference is that if you are flying 90 degrees to the sun and want to reduce polarization, you can't really (assuming it's set at max which it probably is). Even if you had a rotating filter you would have to do that on the ground anyway.

On their own, they only perform like ND filters in the sense that most CPLs cut 1-2 stops of light. The ones you linked to though are NDPL's which have a set amount of ND built in. With any polarizer, not just the ones you have, if you change the angle to the sun while flying you are going to get uneven footage - it's up to you if that would ruin it or not but for most people it does when there is a dramatic change. A rotating element doesn't change this.

As I said earlier, NDPL's are not something you use like a ND filter or just leave on your drone - they would only be for specific scenarios with a well planned flight path at a predetermined angle to the sun. If you want to just fly around and not worry about as much, you want regular ND's.
The strange thing for these fixed polarizers is that in the product page in PGYTECH website there is a notice to "Adjust the Angle of the filter before using it."
https://www.pgy-tech.com/filter-for-mavic-2-pro

The strange thing for these fixed polarizers is that in the product page in PGYTECH website there is a notice to "Adjust the Angle of the filter before using it."
https://www.pgy-tech.com/filter-for-mavic-2-pro

I don't have the filters, but is it possible they fit on the drone in more than one orientation? Or maybe they just recycled the product description from other PL's they sell, which would not be uncommon.

I just got an answer from PGYTECH support:
"Thank you for pointing this out in time, sorry, this is a description error. We are already making corrections.

Our CPL filter for Mavic pro is already set at an angle (is to eliminate the front polarized light)
It can be installed and use directly, needn't rotate the filter."

Best regards
PGYTECH Customer Support "

Reactions: wsteele
These filters for Zoom have a rotating dial, but no index on it, will see tomorrow the different results

See the mavic2pro filters here:

This is strange. This is the only filter company I have seen that sells ND/PL filters without the round piece that people rotate to change the polarization based on where the sun is facing.

These filters in this video do mot have that. So, are they basically ND filters? Or how can they sell a ND/PL filter with a set orientation already for the maximum polarization.

Any input from a knowledgeable person?

This is strange. This is the only filter company I have seen that sells ND/PL filters without the round piece that people rotate to change the polarization based on where the sun is facing.

These filters in this video do mot have that. So, are they basically ND filters? Or how can they sell a ND/PL filter with a set orientation already for the maximum polarization.

Any input from a knowledgeable person?

My above posts explain all that in detail, with examples :)

Because you can't adjust them while flying, they really aren't too much different than normal filters other than that if you are at 90 degrees to the sun, these filters do not allow you to reduce the level of polarization, they will always be at max. It's only really an issue if you plan on flying in a scenario where theoretical maximum polarization is possible but not desired - and you would have to know that on the ground and make your adjustment there anyway.

They have a set orientation. Similar to polarized sunglasses. There are no rotating bezels on sunglasses. The idea is reflected light rays will turn 90 degrees when reflected. They simply choose the angle of polarization they feel will reduce most of the reflected rays.

I just purchased the PGYTECH nd/pl polarizers for the Mavic 2 Pro and I am surprised to find that the filters do not rotate and I cannot adjust the angle of the filter to use it. Is it a scam? I cannot find how they rotate? or they have discovered a new theory about polarizing light without rotating?
You can try looking at your phone screen or computer screen while rotating the filter - the screen should look very dark at certain rotations.

I had a rotating polarizer for my go pro 3.
I used the go pro while on my dirt bike.

Needless to say, it was illogical to stop and adjust during a ride.
So, certain portions of footage had perfect polarization while other footage portions were just simply dark.

A good balance really, because the alternative is no polarization at all.

Can brighten darkened footage in post processing.

Cannot polarize footage in PP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+