DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom 4 pro question

platty

Reactions
I am thinking of selling my mini combo and going with one with 360 deg obstacle avoidance such as the phantom 4 pro. ( I keep parking my mini in trees ) I have been watching reviews on it and one person said he experienced a fallout or blank screen on the controller on a number of occasions and felt there was a signal failure and the controller on the earlier model was better. Has anyone else flying this drone experienced this or does anyone have some first hand knowledge or advice they can give me.
…. Ken

I am thinking of selling my mini combo and going with one with 360 deg obstacle avoidance such as the phantom 4 pro. ( I keep parking my mini in trees ) I have been watching reviews on it and one person said he experienced a fallout or blank screen on the controller on a number of occasions and felt there was a signal failure and the controller on the earlier model was better. Has anyone else flying this drone experienced this or does anyone have some first hand knowledge or advice they can give me.
…. Ken
They are great drones with excellent photographic quality.
I have >6000 km on one of mine and never had the issues mentioned.

Be aware, the 360° obstacle avoidance isn't as 360° as you'd expect.
The side sensors have limited range and only work at slow speed in Tripod Mode, not in normal flight.
It's not until the new Mavic 3 that any DJI drone has had proper 360° obstacle avoidance.
The best obstacle avoidance is always to avoid flying near trees.

Reactions: Capt KO
…. Ken

The Phantom 4 Pro has its own forum and eco system.
The Original Phantom 4 Pro Plus has the better controller because you could install other Programs
The Phantom 4 Pro V2 has the ability to utilize the Smart Controller .
If your looking for a drone with the best tech and overall sensor system I would look at the Air 2S .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. and Land on the Water.

Thanks for that. I was aware you don’t have obstacle avoidance in the sports mode but thought it was ok in the normal flight mode. Not sure how slow the tripod mode is. Point taken about the trees. I live in a bit of a forest … surrounded by trees. One question I didn’t ask…. when I flew my mini above the trees and then dropped down to the neighbours house ( to give him a note ) I lost reception due to the trees ( about 200 Mtrs away) Would I have that same problem with the 4 Pro ?
( 6000 kms … Strewth .. that’s amazing ! )

Will research the Air 2s
For the P4 pro:
In Tripod Mode, the maximum flight speed is limited to 5.6 mph (9 kph) and the braking distance is reduced to 6.6 ft (2 m).
The earlier comment about the P4 pro + was incorrect.
You could not install 3rd partp programs on the + controller.
You can on the regular controller.

The Air 2S has no side sensors for obstacle avoidance.
i-HLmg6Dv-L.jpg

Last edited:
Something to consider might be the cost difference between parking a mini in a tree and parking a Phantom 4Pro in a tree. The wallet will possibly suffer a bit more with the more expensive camera attached to the P4P.

Be aware that the Phantom's are bigger and noisier than what you're used to with a mini. Other than that I love my Phantoms. Any disconnects have been the fault of the device attached not the remote or drone. Even with that you still have full control. Enjoy

…. Ken
Most of DJI's offerings..... Air 2, Air 2s, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic 2, Mavic 3 have sensors that will help you keep out of the trees but nothing beats a good set of eyes and a large tablet screen for keeping out of trouble.

The side sensors on the drones that have them are of limited use and only work at low speed. Even the new Mavic 3 has limited functionality in the sides. Air 2 & Air 2S do not have side sensors but are excellent choices for an upgrade to your Mini.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom