DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom Rain Products

DVPOWERS

Reactions
Has anyone used the products by Phantom Rain (www.phantomrain.org)? They offer wet suits (to fly in the rain) and rescue jackets (allowing the drone to float on the water). It seems like a great idea but I would like to get some feedback from some current users. Thanks!

Yes I own them and use them.
Great feeling when landing on the water and taking off again.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200721_093722.jpg
    IMG_20200721_093722.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200716_154032.jpg
    IMG_20200716_154032.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
@Phantomrain.org is an Approved Vendor here and you'll find MANY posts on their products. Be warned, many people don't "like" how active they are on the forums but that's a personal issue. They do provide a very solid product and their level of customer service is HUGE!!

@Phantomrain.org is an Approved Vendor here and you'll find MANY posts on their products. Be warned, many people don't "like" how active they are on the forums but that's a personal issue. They do provide a very solid product and their level of customer service is HUGE!!
Yes it does amaze me that someone would have such a strong "feelings" about a member providing a product that some like. They will go out of their ways to prove that they are not needed. Like it is their mission to prove it.

Then I see post after post of a drone lost in the lake, river or ocean. So sad.

Has anyone used the products by Phantom Rain (www.phantomrain.org)? They offer wet suits (to fly in the rain) and rescue jackets (allowing the drone to float on the water). It seems like a great idea but I would like to get some feedback from some current users. Thanks!

Let me know what drone your thinking about getting geared up for and I will send you out the information
on the Forum members package.

Email me at [email protected]

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

I fly out over the surf and ocean occasionally, and have thought seriously about getting the floatation kit for my MA2. I have the Care Refresh active with DJI and I’m fully aware that if I lose it in the ocean, and cannot return it I’m sunk... (pardon the pun?)

The way I see it though even if I had the floating device it wouldn’t help me, because I couldn’t get out to the drone at sea in any case. If it fails over the ocean I won’t get it back. Floating device or not.

We did consider a wetsuit for the P4P+ and Phantomrain was very honest when I asked a question (on the sister PhantomPilot forum) a few years back The only advantage in flying in the rain for us was if we could capture heavy rain falling, but the actual reality was that it wouldn't have worked on film using a drone even as good as the P4P+. Filming in the rain using a drone is otherwise counterproductive because the light is obviously poor/bad under these conditions and this will be reflected in your video footage. Any photographer/filmmaker will tell you that "light is everything". You've also got to consider the controller getting wet, although an umbrella held by someone would partly solve that issue.

Do the wetsuits work? Whereas we have no experience, I've watched a few of Phantomrain's videos a while back and they seem to do so

As for landing on water - whether it be the sea or a lake - you have to consider wind and tide. Unless you have a boat, or wish to go swimming, your realistic chances of rescuing a drone lost at sea or on a lake aren't good. I know this for a fact on even a small lake with regards to other (not-a-drone) floating objects.

Reactions: Squidinc
We did consider a wetsuit for the P4P+ and Phantomrain was very honest when I asked a question (on the sister PhantomPilot forum) a few years back The only advantage in flying in the rain for us was if we could capture heavy rain falling, but the actual reality was that it wouldn't have worked on film using a drone even as good as the P4P+. Filming in the rain using a drone is otherwise counterproductive because the light is obviously poor/bad under these conditions and this will be reflected in your video footage. Any photographer/filmmaker will tell you that "light is everything". You've also got to consider the controller getting wet, although an umbrella held by someone would partly solve that issue.

Do the wetsuits work? Whereas we have no experience, I've watched a few of Phantomrain's videos a while back and they seem to do so

As for landing on water - whether it be the sea or a lake - you have to consider wind and tide. Unless you have a boat, or wish to go swimming, your realistic chances of rescuing a drone lost at sea or on a lake aren't good. I know this for a fact on even a small lake with regards to other (not-a-drone) floating objects.
Seems like every single boy of water I've ever seen has a boat around somewhere, I'm sure you throw them a 20 and they'll help you out!

Any water device has pro's and con's. Do your homework which is what you appear to be doing. To that end check out drone-retriever .com as we provide some interesting insight that may help with your investigation.

I fly out over the surf and ocean occasionally, and have thought seriously about getting the floatation kit for my MA2. I have the Care Refresh active with DJI and I’m fully aware that if I lose it in the ocean, and cannot return it I’m sunk... (pardon the pun?)

The way I see it though even if I had the floating device it wouldn’t help me, because I couldn’t get out to the drone at sea in any case. If it fails over the ocean I won’t get it back. Floating device or not.

I agree with where there is Water you will find a someone with a boat that would be willing to help.
Its also interesting to note that most Drones sink within 50 ft of the pilot in the water.

Forced Auto Landing number #1
Strong Winds - Low battery #2
Occasional Boat Fumble #3
Occasional Bird Strikes #4

Its a sickening feeling to watch the Forced Auto Landing : Its like DJI saying sorry about this. ?
But if you love us you will buy another one. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly in the Rain and Float on Water.

We've always made it policy to never get low on a battery. Our work is often hard and demanding. I can't remember ever landing with less than 11% remaining - and it's usually 20% or above. Until just over a year ago, we only used two batteries for our P4P+ - until a particular assignment called for us requiring a third battery. And we've always succeeded. Forward planning and knowing what you're trying to do and capture massively helps.

This kind of self-discipline really pays off. And it also helps prevent many potential mishaps.

The very fact that you need all the Self - Discipline and Policy is exactly why there are so many that will loose there Drones to the lady of the lake, ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on water.
These great qualities I mentioned have very many other advantages beyond the world of drones. I've sometimes mentioned my genuinely brilliant wife and colleague. What I haven't mentioned before, until now, is that we've a second wonderful woman in our "unusual" family. What works well in terms of psychological qualities or life skills seemingly also makes you more lovable and loving. ❤️

Seems like every single boy of water I've ever seen has a boat around somewhere, I'm sure you throw them a 20 and they'll help you out!

Maybe, but not on the Australian coast that I fly over at sunrise. Lose it here & there’s no one to help you retrieve it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Maybe, but not on the Australian coast that I fly over at sunrise. Lose it here & there’s no one to help you retrieve it.

Well this is scary ! Making a note now not to be sold to the those who fly the Australian Coast :
Note: Please have your bottle ready to say your good byes .

Screenshot 01-17-2021 07.23.18.jpg

Reactions: A.O.
Well this is scary ! Making a note now not to be sold to the those who fly the Australian Coast :
Note: Please have your bottle ready to say your good byes .

View attachment 121931
So would that be the bottle with a genie in it, or the bottle to put your note in? Or just a bottle of Jack? ?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61