DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantomrain - Inside Car Flight with new Firmware:

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Recommend caution with new firmware:

Atti mode seems more prevalent when flying inside the home.
Some problems of the drone having to reconnect despite the quick Home Point .

Flight was cut short because of all the time messing with set up operations of GPS .

GPS was there the whole time but the controller failed to Recognize such.

Last week there were no issues from flying inside the car or the house so for me this is noticeable change in performance do to the new firmware so fly with caution be prepared for atti mode .

The video appears to very smooth and the horizon was spot on even those severe winds, truly inspiring.

Quick Video of the attempt :

UPDATED: Forum members have pointed some thing out:
I was looking for the GPS lock on the screen but instead the 492 Ceiling warning was in that spot
and that the Radar to controller icon cleared with the map.

So the only issues were with the reconnects

Phantomrain.org
email: [email protected]

Elite gear for your mavic
Coal

Although this was shot while flying in the rain you can notice that the video is not as smooth as the new firmware is delivering.
You will also notice at the end of the lake , that little bit of jitter is gone in the above video at the hover position if you fast forward.

Last edited:
Did you inadvertently clear the error radar/ location icon when you opened the mini map?

As a matter of fact , just watched more of the video and I think I did clear that icon myself.
So in fact I flew without that radar icon on the phone . The map might have been covering it

Last edited:
Reactions: TDZHDTV
Now correct me if I am wrong as I don't own a mini so can't do any tests per say.
(edit: let me add to that, obviously haven't read the OM yet either!)

Based on what I have seen, Isn't that red graph bottom center of the screen basically the equivalent of the Go 4 attitude indicator? it shows the location of the mobile device via gps/has it's location or not?

The mini's gps condition top of the screen, mobile device gps location displayed at bottom center with the mini's relation to its location right there bottom of the screen? Flashing red as it does not yet have location information from your phone.

When you selected map view, parts of what you did where "off screen" in the video, it was able to get your device's location correctly by doing so.

Perhaps a problem with your phone getting a gps lock being inside the car? (doubt it) and or plus issues I've see with Fly getting location information from mobile devices in general? more likely but unsure sample size of "one" at the moment!

Last edited:
Now correct me if I am wrong as I don't own a mini so can't do any tests per say.

Based on what I have seen, Isn't that red graph bottom center of the screen basically the equivalent of the Go 4 attitude indicator? it shows the location of the mobile device via gps/has it's location or not?

The mini's gps condition top of the screen, mobile device gps location displayed at bottom center with the mini's relation to its location right there bottom of the screen? Flashing red as it does not yet have location information from your phone.

When you selected map view, parts of what you did where "off screen" in the video, it was able to get your device's location correctly by doing so.

Perhaps a problem with your phone getting a gps lock being inside the car? (doubt it) and or plus issues I've see with Fly getting location information from mobile devices in general? more likely but unsure sample size of "one" at the moment!

Yes that Icon is for the controller relationship to the Drone itself, I think the warning of the 492 ft might have been the issue as I had not seen that before and the Icon at the bottom did not come back. So I really did have GPS lock the entire time from start to finish, I just was looking for confirmation that was covered with a warning from DJI about that 492 ft ceiling . Makes sense now.

Last edited:
Yes that Icon is for the controller relationship to the Drone itself, I think the warning of the 492 ft might have been the issue as I had not seen that before and the Icon at the bottom did not come back.
I asked due to your comments in the video that you where getting conflicting information as to the Mini having GPS lock or not.
It did your phone did not, might have come in solid if you stepped out of the car a moment. Might be more the location than the car, building or something blocking some sats or some combination of both.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S