DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantomrain ! Why we fly BACKWARDS

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Phantomrain is all about providing the tools you need to fly your Mavic 2 in Extreme Weather Conditions and the adventure and pictures you get can surprise you.

9 out of 10 people will never think about flying backwards in the rain or snow and yet there are some great benefits.

#1 it is the very best way to fly forward in the RAIN which will alllow you to capture some amazing shots without getting any water or snow on the lens:

Notice the shot below taken out of a 26 minute Torrential downpour , but yet you cannot see the rain. Video can be seen on the website: Phantomrain.org

This is nothing more than a 4K frame of video, as a camera might not have gotten the shot,
38700144_2036550096660038_3269956647681785856_o-1.jpg

#2 When you are flying against the Heavy Winds , you may find you Camera flipping erratically causing the video to be ruined. so we suggest you fly backwards going forward so your video is likely to be smoother

Takes a little practice to get good at flying backwards but well worth it.

3# Similar to how the zoom allows you to skip editing and cropping to get the same effect it provides you with a different perspective to play with in a cinematic way.

Consider making your Mavic 2 Fearless:
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 3.02.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 3.08.27 PM.png

Phantomrain is all about providing the tools you need to fly your Mavic 2 in Extreme Weather Conditions and the adventure and pictures you get can surprise you.

9 out of 10 people will never think about flying backwards in the rain or snow and yet there are some great benefits.

#1 it is the very best way to fly forward in the RAIN which will alllow you to capture some amazing shots without getting any water or snow on the lens:

Notice the shot below taken out of a 26 minute Torrential downpour , but yet you cannot see the rain. Video can be seen on the website: Phantomrain.org
This is nothing more than a 4K frame of video, as a camera might not have gotten the shot,
View attachment 61744

#2 When you are flying against the Heavy Winds , you may find you Camera flipping erratically causing the video to be ruined. so we suggest you fly backwards going forward so your video is likely to be smoother

Takes a little practice to get good at flying backwards but well worth it.

3# Similar to how the zoom allows you to skip editing and cropping to get the same effect it provides you with a different perspective to play with in a cinematic way.

Consider making your Mavic 2 Fearless:
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
View attachment 61745
interesting i guess your not backwards at coming forwards could be a good idea

View attachment 61747

Is the water still able to enter the air craft through the front and rear air vents?

So the vents are covered with the Neoprene which create a Concave like structure around the vent using it to thicken the walls, making it much harder for the rain to get inside of it> Think of how a cave protects you from the wind and rain, Gravity forces the rain down even when flying right into it.

So flying forward or backward the vents are covered and it stops the rain from getting inside.
We learned how effective this concept truly was from the Wet Suit we designed for the Phantom 4 Pro which had open hole vents on both the top, bottom and side of the drone.

The results of using the Concave Protection of the Phantom was amazing as it is with the Mavic 2

Last edited:
If you have enough money, you may well give your drone into the rain against all reason.
For some it's especially tempting to fly in the rain, but it's a really stupid craving.

You certainly will not get your drone waterproof with a bit of neoprene.

If damage occurs, you will not be able to claim a manufacturer's warranty !!!
The Mavics were not designed to fly permanently in high humidity, and certainly not in the pouring rain.
Buy a Drone that has this ability.

If you have enough money, you may well give your drone into the rain against all reason.
For some it's especially tempting to fly in the rain, but it's a really stupid craving.

You certainly will not get your drone waterproof with a bit of neoprene.

If damage occurs, you will not be able to claim a manufacturer's warranty !!!
The Mavics were not designed to fly permanently in high humidity, and certainly not in the pouring rain.
Buy a Drone that has this ability.

The phantom 4 Wet Suits have been out now for almost 2 years now and we have sold thousands of units, so we dont want people that have a craving, but a need to be able to get the job done every day.

In Ohio alone we had 133 days of rain, and with the Wet Suits we are able to give many of those days back to those that make money with there drone. $$$$

Because the Wet Suits are a cover and not something you put on the drone by taking it apart or unscrewing anything this keeps all of the DJI warranties in tact.

It also bares repeating that we never planned on making the Wet Suits for the Mavic 2 as we really did not see the need for such a well engineered drone until we took it up in the rain for just 4 mintues and when we opened the battery cover up , there was water inside the drone right near the connectors.

That is when we decided that we should make the Wet Suits for the Mavic 2 series using the same concepts we applied to the Phantom seeing how sucessfull we were flying that in the rain.

Plus it easy to forget how many people just get caught flying in the rain and that has nothing to do with Cravings.

You brought up some good points , so i am glad to always clarify them.

Phantomrain.org
approved vendor.

Yes no problem, we used 1.5mm on the Batteries only but it still provide an air tight seal for the battery.. if you let me know me know how many batteries you need I will include those in your order .

Thank you for your interest.

Yes no problem, we used 1.5mm on the Batteries only but it still provide an air tight seal for the battery.. if you let me know me know how many batteries you need I will include those in your order .

Thank you for your interest.

Is there a place on the order form or page where I can specify that info to take advantage of your gracious offer?

Is there a place on the order form or page where I can specify that info to take advantage of your gracious offer?

what you can do is order and than just email me [email protected] and tell me how many you need.
I will make a note on the account and include those for you.

Is this an informative thread or just another big advertisement?
the second one i think i would not fly my mav in the rain because i do not like getting wet myself i suppose it has some commercial value if you really cant get out of flying in the rain

Reactions: mnis
Those people who still have not realized that the Mavics should not be flown in the rain can probably no longer be helped.

I think, who wants to make money $$$$$$ with his un-manned aircraft, does not need this kind of suits. And those who offer professional usability with their advertising may not need the attention of private users. It may not be the expected clientele in this thread.

Here, unofficial accessories with dubious functionality are offered for aircraft designed mainly for non-professional users.

Of course, professional use is also possible with these drones. But who still flies in the rain, in case of damage is solely responsible for all consequential costs, and will not be able to claim a manufacturer's warranty.

I think damage caused by water penetration is usually very easily detectable, so that even inexperienced users can recognize this in many cases.

It is also very unlikely that the aircraft accidentally gets caught in the rain. This happens intentionally or because of lack of experience and mindfulness.

For example, anyone who works professionally in the tropics with an aircraft or any camera knows the risks and uses proven hardware. There are almost always suitable equipment for special requirements, including official retrofit kits with functional guarantees.

DIY-Tip:
There are a large number of self-adhesive and extremely flexible sealing materials on the market. With little effort and a roll of thin silicone tape in the color of your choice from the retailer you can start right away. With some creativity, you not only get some protection from possibly penetrating moisture, but also something unique ...

Those people who still have not realized that the Mavics should not be flown in the rain can probably no longer be helped.

I think, who wants to make money $$$$$$ with his un-manned aircraft, does not need this kind of suits. And those who offer professional usability with their advertising may not need the attention of private users. It may not be the expected clientele in this thread.

Here, unofficial accessories with dubious functionality are offered for aircraft designed mainly for non-professional users.

Of course, professional use is also possible with these drones. But who still flies in the rain, in case of damage is solely responsible for all consequential costs, and will not be able to claim a manufacturer's warranty.

I think damage caused by water penetration is usually very easily detectable, so that even inexperienced users can recognize this in many cases.

It is also very unlikely that the aircraft accidentally gets caught in the rain. This happens intentionally or because of lack of experience and mindfulness.

For example, anyone who works professionally in the tropics with an aircraft or any camera knows the risks and uses proven hardware. There are almost always suitable equipment for special requirements, including official retrofit kits with functional guarantees.

DIY-Tip:
There are a large number of self-adhesive and extremely flexible sealing materials on the market. With little effort and a roll of thin silicone tape in the color of your choice from the retailer you can start right away. With some creativity, you not only get some protection from possibly penetrating moisture, but also something unique ...

That was just RUDE:
There was no reason for you to post this about other drone pilots:

"Those people who still have not realized that the Mavics should not be flown in the rain can probably no longer be helped."

We have also Repeated several times the Wet Suit Does not VOID ANY WARRANTY !

Getting caught in the Rain just happens period.
You do not need to put other drones pilots down to make your point.

As far as your do it yourself tip , Duct Tape will work fine also.

Flying in the rain voids warranty. So while using your suit doesn't void the warranty in itself, warranty is still voided if anyone uses your product for what you advertise it for. Unless YOU decide to cover any water damage that may happen while using your product, but I haven't read about that.

I really wish the admin team would refuse to accept/approve vendors repeatedly posting such borderline claims / making use of completely false excuses to push their products / who are only looking for an advertising billboard, and stick to those who put effort to help beyond just selling their stuff. And no this post wasn't an example of the latter, just a poor attempt at looking like one.

That was just RUDE:
There was no reason for you to post this about other drone pilots:

"Those people who still have not realized that the Mavics should not be flown in the rain can probably no longer be helped."

Getting caught in the Rain just happens period.
You do not need to put other drones pilots down to make your point.

As far as your do it yourself tip , Duct Tape will work fine also.
My statement was "possibly" !!!

There is always a share of people who do not understand why a particular form of product use is not possible or not secure enough.

I did not address anyone personally like you! ... Me & I :) ...

I just wanted to point out again that these mavics were not built to withstand the rain.

And who ignores this, will have to pay damages and consequential damages alone!!!

You may be very aggressive and affected as a provider of any product accessories? Maybe this will unsettle some of your potential customers?

Can you finally provide or refer to meaningful evidence of the functionality and safety of your product?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent